PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills wishfull thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sivy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Next year is shaping up really well. Extra draft picks, guys back from injury, TE & Lynch with a year under their belt, the Patriots losing Moss (please, dear lord), and a schedule that is VERY favorable right now...

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=30799

Next year is shaping up really well. Extra draft picks, guys back from injury, TE & Lynch with a year under their belt, the Patriots losing Moss (please, dear lord), and a schedule that is VERY favorable right now...

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=30799

Keep dreaming. I'm looking forward to my annual pilgrimmage to Buffalo to watch the Patriots paste the Bills. Should be plenty of tickets to choose from once again.

sweet, I'll be there, getting harrassed by all the bills fans as usual

The Bills are a year or two from being competitive with the Pats. Depends on how many holes they can fill in the draft and FA, and depends on what happens to the Pats players (how many retire, leave, etc.). The Pats will probably still beat the Bills, but we'll see. Never underestimate any team, especially divisional ones.

Of course there's the threat of moving, but that article doesn't exactly give cause to worry:

" '[Ralph Wilson] asked me to let people know that his intention to keep the team in Buffalo is as strong as ever,' said Schumer."

When Wilson passes away the Bills will go to the highest bidder and they will no longer be in Buffalo. Moving to Toronto makes a lot of sense and is in line with the NFL's plan to go global.

These paragraphs below are telling:
Wilson painted a bleak picture of Buffalo and western New York and went to great lengths to describe the declining economy and the fact that people move out of Buffalo, not into it, which is making it very difficult for his football team to survive, let alone thrive.

Now that Toronto — a lucrative and untapped sports market — has its foot in the door not only with the Bills but with the NFL, there is much fear in western New York that the Bills may wind up playing with maple leafs on their helmets. Financing this foot in the door is multi-billionaire Ted Rogers, the third-richest man in Canada who owns the Toronto Blue Jays and the stadium formerly known as SkyDome.

"This is something I am very concerned about, like a lot of others in the Buffalo area and others who have Buffalo interests around the country, but it's a sensitive question that is better left unsaid," Schumer said.

This twisted logic is getting hilarious. Yes the Pats choked big time on the biggest stage. But this team just won 18 straight games. They lose ONE game and all of a sudden it's "The Pats are on the way down." Get serious.

The Pats think the division is going to be another cakewalk next year.

That's what Bears fans thought after they lost the SB last year, and they finished dead last in '07.

Get ready for the downward spiral.

When Wilson passes away the Bills will go to the highest bidder and they will no longer be in Buffalo. Moving to Toronto makes a lot of sense and is in line with the NFL's plan to go global.

These paragraphs below are telling:
Wilson painted a bleak picture of Buffalo and western New York and went to great lengths to describe the declining economy and the fact that people move out of Buffalo, not into it, which is making it very difficult for his football team to survive, let alone thrive.

Now that Toronto — a lucrative and untapped sports market — has its foot in the door not only with the Bills but with the NFL, there is much fear in western New York that the Bills may wind up playing with maple leafs on their helmets. Financing this foot in the door is multi-billionaire Ted Rogers, the third-richest man in Canada who owns the Toronto Blue Jays and the stadium formerly known as SkyDome.

"This is something I am very concerned about, like a lot of others in the Buffalo area and others who have Buffalo interests around the country, but it's a sensitive question that is better left unsaid," Schumer said.

If I were a billionaire I'd by the Bills and move them to L.A. immediately

The Pats think the division is going to be another cakewalk next year.

That's what Bears fans thought after they lost the SB last year, and they finished dead last in '07.

Get ready for the downward spiral.

Lol. Our division has been a cake walk for the past 5 years. Why such a drastic change? they lost ONE game out of the last 19.

Maybe the Colts are the ones truly on the way down.

Lol. Our division has been a cake walk for the past 5 years. Why such a drastic change? they lost ONE game out of the last 19.

Maybe the Colts are the ones truly on the way down.

Miami isn't as terrible as their record; they lost 5 games by 3 points or less. Parcells will not fail to at least turn them around & make them competitive, if not next year then the year after.

The Jets played the Pats very tough in the 2nd game, and were looking better at the end of the year. They will put up a better fight in '08.

The Bills lost a dozen guys to IR, and started a rookie QB & RB. They were still in the playoff hunt until mid-December.

The Pats have suffered 2 of the most crushing season-enders in recent memory, and have played what amounts to an extra season over the past few years. They're humans; fans think they have a divine right to the playoffs, but if they come back to make another real run next year, I will proclaim them super-human...

Miami isn't as terrible as their record; they lost 5 games by 3 points or less. Parcells will not fail to at least turn them around & make them competitive, if not next year then the year after.

The Jets played the Pats very tough in the 2nd game, and were looking better at the end of the year. They will put up a better fight in '08.

The Bills lost a dozen guys to IR, and started a rookie QB & RB. They were still in the playoff hunt until mid-December.

The Pats have suffered 2 of the most crushing season-enders in recent memory, and have played what amounts to an extra season over the past few years. They're humans; fans think they have a divine right to the playoffs, but if they come back to make another real run next year, I will proclaim them super-human...

All of what you said may be true. But the Pats are still the second best team in the NFL (first being the Giants.) And all of what you said applied to the end of the 2003/2004 season also. The Bills are a 9-7 caliber team. Then I think the Dolphins are better than the Jets. None of that changes the fact that the Pats won 18 straight games this year and any hangover they may have next year cannot be predicted by wishful thinkers.

All of what you said may be true. But the Pats are still the second best team in the NFL (first being the Giants.) And all of what you said applied to the end of the 2003/2004 season also. The Bills are a 9-7 caliber team. Then I think the Dolphins are better than the Jets. None of that changes the fact that the Pats won 18 straight games this year and any hangover they may have next year cannot be predicted by wishful thinkers.

Fair enough.

When you haven't smelled a division title in over a decade, wishful thinking is a natural alternative to hopeless depression.

Still, it would be amazing to see the Pats come back after the past 2 seasons & REALLY make a run. Those kinds of losses have tended to crush teams historically. I'm not seriously counting them out yet, though; just hoping...

If I were a billionaire I'd by the Bills and move them to L.A. immediately

And then lose money every year? LA doesn't want a football team, doesn't anyone realize that?

As far as the Bills moving, we'll just have to see. Yes, the team will be auctioned off to the highest bidder but there have also been rumors going around that Jim Kelly, with some pretty deep-pocketed backers, has talked with Ralph about his backers buying the team. Nothing, of course, has come out saying "certainly" or "definitely," but the same thing goes about moving them to Toronto - it's a lot of speculation.

And then lose money every year? LA doesn't want a football team, doesn't anyone realize that?

As far as the Bills moving, we'll just have to see. Yes, the team will be auctioned off to the highest bidder but there have also been rumors going around that Jim Kelly, with some pretty deep-pocketed backers, has talked with Ralph about his backers buying the team. Nothing, of course, has come out saying "certainly" or "definitely," but the same thing goes about moving them to Toronto - it's a lot of speculation.

It's a huge market that's untapped. It would take the right owner (Cuban) to make it work, but I don't see any reason why any American city wouldn't want a football team. Baltimore, Cleveland St. Louis etc. all had teams fail and move out but now have other teams that are successful franchises working there.

This twisted logic is getting hilarious. Yes the Pats choked big time on the biggest stage. But this team just won 18 straight games. They lose ONE game and all of a sudden it's "The Pats are on the way down." Get serious.

It is not merely wishful thinking. Losing the big game is often followed by a really bad season.

It is not merely wishful thinking. Losing the big game is often followed by a really bad season.

So is winning it, but that's never happened to the Pats before and losing the AFCCG last year certainly didn't have a bad effect on the Pats season this year. Every year "the Pats run is over." It'll be over when Brady retires and BB leaves.

So is winning it, but that's never happened to the Pats before and losing the AFCCG last year certainly didn't have a bad effect on the Pats season this year. Every year "the Pats run is over." It'll be over when Brady retires and BB leaves.

Losing the AFCCG doesn't have the same sting as losing a SB you are a heavy favorite.

Also remember, with the AFCCG the players had the flu, the refs aided the Colts, and the Colts played games with the thermostat, the players who dropped balls are no longer on the team.

Lot easier to rally around getting revenge next year, when you can point to others and rally for revenge.

Could the Pats win it all next year -- sure. Could they flop next year-- history suggests yes. That is not to say they are done. But I could easily envision a scenario where the Pats go 8-8 next year, Bills win the AFC East and then the Pats win the SB in '09.

A lot will depend on if losing this SB sucks the wind out of the coaching staffs sails so they don't have a productive off season. Could happen. Or if they regroup quickly and are determined.

Also a lot will depend on if fingers get pointed. If the players point fingers at Josh for bad play calling it could be a bad off-season. Most of our player are too much of pros to do it in the media. But that doesn't mean Brady hasn't told BB he wants Josh fired in private.

An ugly loss can lead to an ugly off-season. An ugly off season would lead to an ugly regular season.

If I was going to take my choice of two bets, Patriots win AFC East next year or Brady wins another 2 rings in his life time. I say the latter one has a greater probability.

They are not out, but they may be down.

Last edited:
Losing the AFCCG doesn't have the same sting as losing a SB you are a heavy favorite.

Also remember, with the AFCCG the players had the flu, the refs aided the Colts, and the Colts played games with the thermostat, the players who dropped balls are no longer on the team.

Lot easier to rally around getting revenge next year, when you can point to others and rally for revenge.

Could the Pats win it all next year -- sure. Could they flop next year-- history suggests yes. That is not to say they are done. But I could easily envision a scenario where the Pats go 8-8 next year, Bills win the AFC East and then the Pats win the SB in '09.

A lot will depend on if losing this SB sucks the wind out of the coaching staffs sails so they don't have a productive off season. Could happen. Or if they regroup quickly and are determined.

Also a lot will depend on if fingers get pointed. If the players point fingers at Josh for bad play calling it could be a bad off-season. Most of our player are too much of pros to do it in the media. But that doesn't mean Brady hasn't told BB he wants Josh fired in private.

An ugly loss can lead to an ugly off-season. An ugly off season would lead to an ugly regular season.

If I was going to take my choice of two bets, Patriots win AFC East next year or Brady wins another 2 rings in his life time. I say the latter one has a greater probability.

They are not out, but they may be down.

I honestly cannot see this happening next year. Too much talent on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes