PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills will let T.O. walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna get thrown under the bus for saying this, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a one year flyer on Owens for a one year flyer. I don't see what we could possibly lose by doing this. Imagine pairing Moss and Owens up across from one another with Brady at quarterback. I could easily see Owens coming in there and behaving for at least one year while he tries to close his career out on a good note. This is Moss' last year with the team and it would probably make him happy to have his buddy and another stud receiver to take the attention off of him and Wes a little. If the O-Line holds up injury wise, and Brady improves even a little from last year, I don't see how this team would be defensed. Essentially it would be a no-lose situation in that if Owens does start to act up, we could give him the 2005 Eagles treatment, deactivate him, and keep him away from the team. I'm also taking into account that this year is likely going to be uncapped. With all of this in mind, I don't see why we wouldn't.

I won't throw you under the bus.
FWIW I agree. It just could work.

I'll take him over Antonio Bryant. If a contract was backloaded based on not dropping passes it might work for a year.

While the fan base seems divided about this, it's a sure bet that the league would be absolutely giddy about TO and RM on the Pats. TV revenue would soar for Pats games.

As well it should. We would have, quite possibly, the biggest amount of firepower that this league has ever seen.

Did T.O. hold a press conference in is driveway yet? :rolleyes:

Im drooling...

That's just considering the possibility of Moss and T.O. in the line-up. Imagine having Welker when he begins to return to form (facing single coverage) and Edelman on top of Faulk coming out of the backfield. I don't know how other teams would defense us.

I know the knock on T.O. and I've never really been a fan of the guy, but I don't see what we could possibly lose on a one year flyer during an uncapped year. His behavior with a team is always good (for the most part) in his first year, and that would be his only year with us. He's 36 and doesn't have much else left, but he still has the physical tools and would make this offense deadly. If he mouths off, he's expendable. I'd imagine that he'd already know that, though.

It will never happen since we already have a #81 and owens ego is too big to change his number.

I can't stand it when the Pats sign over the hill players, but T.O. is different. This guy is a physical specimen and with the right QB, can still do very well. This group of receivers needs some muscle and T.O. can provide just that. I think T.O. is finally over the "me first" routine and would do very well with Moss and Welker (when he returns).

Both are coming off years where people question if they still have the goods.

Imagine the intensity of these two dudes on the same team with a little competition between them to look their best this season.

Brady would absolutely go off.

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole and the effect of Moss and Owens together would outweigh their individual output.

Last edited:
While the fan base seems divided about this, it's a sure bet that the league would be absolutely giddy about TO and RM on the Pats. TV revenue would soar for Pats games.
Unfortunately the number of losses by the Pats at the end of the season would soar also.

It will never happen since we already have a #81 and owens ego is too big to change his number.

Moss will be #84. That's cool.

Owens is a great downfield blocker. He would probably help Moss get a little more YAC on a few of those deep slants. Bring the guy in.

Moss will be #84. That's cool.

Owens is a great downfield blocker. He would probably help Moss get a little more YAC on a few of those deep slants. Bring the guy in.

That would be the worst move ever, by taking #81 away for TO you'd essentially be giving him free reign to be a cancer, if he wants on the team he needs to prove he won't be a problem, making him say "Uncle" by agreeing to a different number is the best way he could prove that, it's his price of admission.

Unfortunately the number of losses by the Pats at the end of the season would soar also.

How do you figure this? The Pats locker room is going to be different than any other locker room that Owens has ever walked into before. On top of having Kraft and Belichick, he also has Brady directing overseeing things on the offense as well. For a one year deal with a chance to close his career out with a Super Bowl ring on his finger, I think Owens would be able to get over himself for at least one season. This offense would be unstoppable and Moss is also good friends with him.

He's 36 years old and there probably isn't going to be a team out there that will want him. Remember the lists on SportsCenter and NFL Live last season that showed the teams that DID NOT have any interest in signing T.O.? He would absolutely take a one year flyer with incentives to come here and, in an uncapped season, it would not be much for us to risk. On top of being a deep threat, Owens (for all of his knocks against his personality) is able and willing to do something that even Moss isn't comfortable doing: going over the middle. Owens is someone we can add on the other side of Moss (who is in his last year anyway) who can be a huge threat in both the intermediate/middle of the field routes and the over the top routes. He's the best addition this offseason that we can possibly make.

Look, I don't gamble much, but when I do, I like to be smart about it. For us, this would be an extremely good gamble with little to lose. What we do lose can be quickly neutralized while a lesson is sent out to the younger members of the team that the Patriots don't accept the, "me first" mentality. There's little to lose and a lot to gain on this one. It's a smart gamble and I hope Bill Belichick and the Patriots front office does their due diligence.

Last edited:
How do you figure this? The Pats locker room is going to be different than any other locker room that Owens has ever walked into before. On top of having Kraft and Belichick, he also has Brady directing overseeing things on the offense as well. For a one year deal with a chance to close his career out with a Super Bowl ring on his finger, I think Owens would be able to get over himself for at least one season. This offense would be unstoppable and Moss is also good friends with him.

He's 36 years old and there probably isn't going to be a team out there that will want him. Remember the lists on SportsCenter and NFL Live last season that showed the teams that DID NOT have any interest in signing T.O.? He would absolutely take a one year flyer with incentives to come here and, in an uncapped season, it would not be much for us to risk. On top of being a deep threat, Owens (for all of his knocks against his personality) is able and willing to do something that even Moss isn't comfortable doing: going over the middle. Owens is someone we can add on the other side of Moss (who is in his last year anyway) who can be a huge threat in both the intermediate/middle of the field routes and the over the top routes. He's the best addition this offseason that we can possibly make.

Look, I don't gamble much, but when I do, I like to be smart about it. For us, this would be an extremely good gamble with little to lose. What we do lose can be quickly neutralized while a lesson is sent out to the younger members of the team that the Patriots don't accept the, "me first" mentality. There's little to lose and a lot to gain on this one. It's a smart gamble and I hope Bill Belichick and the Patriots front office does their due diligence.

How, in any way, was his play in Buffalo his fault? As for the rest of your concerns, visit the T.O. thread.

I'm not talking about the Bills, I'm talking about in Dallas. He seemed to have lost a step in the 08 season. There was a good segment on NFL Live, I believe, during the 08 season about why T.O. wasn't getting the ball after he complained. It wasn't because Romo was butt buddies with Witten, it's because T.O. was having trouble getting open. They broke it down and showed him having trouble getting of the jam and separating from CB's. Two years removed from that, I can only imagine he's a little slower. This whole "we need another deep threat" thing is a little bit overblown. We need a guy that go over the middle and work the intermediate part of the field. Yes, T.O. was once this guy, but at 37 years old, I don't know if he can separate the way he once did.

The fact that he played on the Bills masks the deficiencies in his game. Everyone points to his bad surroundings for him being ineffective, and although his surroundings didn't help the cause he is just not the same player. He's never had good hands and doesn't have the same speed he once had. We don't need to go after another big-name guy who is over the hill and will fail to meet expectations (see: Galloway) A general manager in the following article referred to him as a guy that doesn't run great routes, has poor hands, and is only a good YAC guy. Seems like another Joey Galloway who everyone thought was an upgrade over Gaffney and would come in and operate the middle of the field and be that "deep threat" that would make it so much easier on Moss.

Yahoo Sports - Owens star has fallen
Still hyped by the media as a commodity at this week’s deadline, Owens had been relegated to footnote status long ago by this particular talent evaluator.

“He’s hit the wall,” the AFC executive said. “I think he has. I think it’s done or close to it. He’ll have a couple of games here and there where he shows up, but big picture, long term, I think it’s done.”

That was an opinion echoed by multiple front-office executives contacted by Yahoo! Sports this week. Posed with two questions (does Owens have any significant trade value, and where is his career going) the answers were resounding: He now commands little on the market, and beyond a “name” that sells tickets, his impact going forward is expected to be marginal at best. Like Marvin Harrison(notes) last season, the soon-to-be 36-year-old Owens is viewed by personnel men as the NFL’s dying supernova of 2009 – a star on the verge of a fascinating final collapse that many NFL front offices want to avoid.

“I hear that he’s one of the greatest of all time, but I don’t buy it – never did,” said one general manager. “He drops balls. He’s not a natural catcher. He’s not a great route runner, blah, blah, blah. He’s big and strong and good with the run after the catch, if he catches it. I can give you 100 negatives. It’s just not worth it.

“Someone else [on another team] will say the opposite. [They’ll say] ‘We’ll get him to catch better. We’ll get him to do what we want.’ [They’ll say] ‘He’s a threat just being on the field. He’ll open up other players.’ Well, when you’re talking about that, you’re talking about using a guy knowing he’s a failure and who might shock you with a touchdown or two. But basically you’re sacrificing him to free up our other good players. That’s what I’ve been hearing for two years, and that’s the death march right there.”

He has slowed down far too much and he is a lightning rod for noise that teams don’t need,” said the aforementioned AFC executive. “This guy used to create a large part of his problems [with the media], but now [reporters] are trying to help him create problems. Part of what he said is true – the assertion that he’s just trying to be left alone but people won’t leave him alone. But that’s his cross to bear because of how he acted when he was younger

National Football Post - TO's Value
In the past, opposing defenses would have to game plan for T.O. Often, we would see teams play a form of Cover 2 to his side of the field (where a corner could get a jam on Owens and slow him down to protect the deep safety over the top), or various forms of 2-Man.

But that’s changed. Owens struggles to get off the jam, he doesn’t have the separation speed once he gets onto a safety’s cushion, and outside of the 3-step game (hitch, smash, slant, out), he isn’t as much of a threat to the top NFL secondaries.

I won't throw you under the bus.
FWIW I agree. It just could work.

Well, then let me throw you under the bus. Why waste a roster spot on a guy who has only had a significant impact in 2004, but a negative impact every year?

It's a rediculous idea. This isn't fantasy football or Madden.

I'm not talking about the Bills, I'm talking about in Dallas. He seemed to have lost a step in the 08 season. There was a good segment on NFL Live, I believe, during the 08 season about why T.O. wasn't getting the ball after he complained. It wasn't because Romo was butt buddies with Witten, it's because T.O. was having trouble getting open. They broke it down and showed him having trouble getting of the jam and separating from CB's. Two years removed from that, I can only imagine he's a little slower. This whole "we need another deep threat" thing is a little bit overblown. We need a guy that go over the middle and work the intermediate part of the field. Yes, T.O. was once this guy, but at 37 years old, I don't know if he can separate the way he once did.

The fact that he played on the Bills masks the deficiencies in his game. Everyone points to his bad surroundings for him being ineffective, and although his surroundings didn't help the cause he is just not the same player. He's never had good hands and doesn't have the same speed he once had. We don't need to go after another big-name guy who is over the hill and will fail to meet expectations (see: Galloway) A general manager in the following article referred to him as a guy that doesn't run great routes, has poor hands, and is only a good YAC guy. Seems like another Joey Galloway who everyone thought was an upgrade over Gaffney and would come in and operate the middle of the field and be that "deep threat" that would make it so much easier on Moss.

Yahoo Sports - Owens star has fallen

National Football Post - TO's Value

i do agree he is not going to be the same WR he was he is 37 years old. but your quote. from yahoo sports says he can beat double teams any more. he would not have to with the pats cause if T.O can still get doubled and we know moss, will be. if welker, can play the last 10 games of the season he will brake the record for rec in a season. with dose two guys takeing half the defense down the field with them on every play.

It is an uncapped year and we have a lot of question marks in O as well as D. For the short term, why not ? Include a clause that says any diagnosis of cancer symptoms, he would be surgically removed from this team ! If it works out, man that would be unstoppable O we might end up with.

Last edited:
TO: Sign the beast.

LdT: Sign the beast.

1985 silver Delorean: Sign the beast.

i do agree he is not going to be the same WR he was he is 37 years old. but your quote. from yahoo sports says he can beat double teams any more. he would not have to with the pats cause if T.O can still get doubled and we know moss, will be. if welker, can play the last 10 games of the season he will brake the record for rec in a season. with dose two guys takeing half the defense down the field with them on every play.

The way you write is very difficult to understand :eek: :p

The article isn't only about double coverage. It's also about how he's starting to hit the wall in a similar fashion to the way Marvin Harrison did in 08. He's been known to have bad hands his whole career, but it also says he runs poor routes. Isn't that basically Joey Galloway part 2? TO is more physical and operates over the middle more, but Galloway was thought to be that "deep threat" that could stretch the field and work the middle and be a great upgrade over Gaffney. The knock on him was his poor route running, and that really hurt him in NE as he had problems with the playbook. Now TO would be a better fit than Galloway, but I will still pass.

TO was struggling to get open in his last season in Dallas, and that's the reason he wasn't getting the ball and threw a ***** fit. I wish the video was online b/c NFL Live did a pretty good breakdown of it. He wasn't getting separation and was having trouble getting off the jam. Two years removed from that, he is older and has likely regressed more.

I really don't want another old guy at the end of the line, especially at WR. I'd rather sign or draft someone younger. I'd even rather bring back Deion Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back