PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills vs. Patriots breakdown/analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great analysis.....

Thanks for your time and effort !! :rocker:

Was that all on Hernandez or did Brady communicate to him by "throwing him open?" We've seen Tommy do that often enough with his receivers and I believe that part of the explosion in Welker's performance in NE was having a QB who actually tried to get in-sync with his receiver instead of the synchronization all being one-sided.

"High Hat" - what should I be seeing to visualize this read?

Thanks for the work-up, good job! (and I got a chuckle seeing the Three Stooges sequence which didn't register during the game while working to deadline on a church project).

It was all Hern. It was an underneath throw and Brady didn't put any lead on it.

When you read high hat, it's an indication the play has a high possbility of being a pass play. When low hat, it's probably run, but you can throw a false read by doing a run on high hat. However in this game, the Bills were playing straight up, and generally broke a run on the end of the line that was reading low hat. I think they wanted the opposite OT in stand up to prevent backside pursuit.

Got another look at that Meriweather play that allowed the CJ Spiller TD, and it confirmed my initial suspicion that he chose to go inside and underneath for the interception (freelancing) rather than playing it safe and staying on top. It was a poor decision right from the start and he knew it, but got caught and couldn't do anything about it.

The drive that eventually ended with Woodhead scoring his first TD was a great drive where we mixed it up. BJGE came in and had an immediate impact. He hits the hole so hard, and is the north/south runner that defines what Patriots smashmouth football is about.. On his first run he gets the first down, and on the next snap we throw them a strongside run look, while Crumpler motions weakside. This sets the defense on their heels and by the time they realize it is a pass play, it is too late. Both LB's are sucked in, as well as the safety who is covering Gronk. Gronk runs an excellent out post for a 20 yard gain. Next play, 1st and 10, on their 42, 4:23 2nd Q, in posse again 3 x 1, there is a trapping play by Connolly who is the kick out block, but the key to this play is Koppen who sheds his man and delivers a beautiful chip on Connolly's man, so that Connolly keeps running unchecked, and you can see BJGE being patient and having the foresight not to outrun his lead block until Connolly engages, then he bolts for daylight and gains 12 more yards. Taylor has the ball and slips on the next play, but I don't think it was a mistake, I think it had to do with the fact that he slipped on the foot where he injured his toe, because he couldn't get a good plant and cut from that. So I think at that point it was a very wise move to take him out.

I saw a lot of good things in the Woodhead TD- for one thing, it was that patented 3rd down Faulk draw, and if you weren't looking careful, you could swear it was Faulk juking in there, not Woodhead. However looking at the play again, only Woodhead could have made it because he popped through a tiny hole between the opening created by Neal and Vollmer.

That white shrimp sure ran!

I think it speaks volumes to what kind of organization the Bills are when their quarterback forgets to take off his wedding ring and nobody notices.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 291
I think it speaks volumes to what kind of organization the Bills are when their quarterback forgets to take off his wedding ring and nobody notices.
Mrs. Fitzpatrick noticed. :beatingcoming:

Got another look at that Meriweather play that allowed the CJ Spiller TD, and it confirmed my initial suspicion that he chose to go inside and underneath for the interception (freelancing) rather than playing it safe and staying on top. It was a poor decision right from the start and he knew it, but got caught and couldn't do anything about it.

First this is a great thread. If he was going inside, didn't he break way too late? I thought he was caught behind the other DB and just guessed Spiller would cut inside and guessed wrong.

First this is a great thread. If he was going inside, didn't he break way too late? I thought he was caught behind the other DB and just guessed Spiller would cut inside and guessed wrong.

Doesn't matter. As the high safety on the play his responsibility is to stay on top. He gambled and that's all she wrote.

Doesn't matter. As the high safety on the play his responsibility is to stay on top. He gambled and that's all she wrote.

I agree. Probably better for the CB to gamble knowing the safety is staying on top.

Excellent breakdowns as always. Combined with Rodak's work, it really clues people in on just what goes into our defense and what has been going on with it so far this season. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Excellent breakdowns as always. Combined with Rodak's work, it really clues people in on just what goes into our defense and what has been going on with it so far this season. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Let me just qualify that by saying Patspsycho's work is leaps and bounds ahead of Rodak's stuff.

I wish we had done one of these last week. One of the things that particularly stuck out at me last week was the last TD pass to Keller. Sanchez just lobbed the ball up there and it looked to me like McCourty had every opportunity to pick it off, but he never did turn his head. I realize this is way OT, but just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone else had some thoughts about that play.

The drive that eventually ended with Woodhead scoring his first TD was a great drive where we mixed it up. BJGE came in and had an immediate impact. He hits the hole so hard, and is the north/south runner that defines what Patriots smashmouth football is about.. On his first run he gets the first down, and on the next snap we throw them a strongside run look, while Crumpler motions weakside. This sets the defense on their heels and by the time they realize it is a pass play, it is too late. Both LB's are sucked in, as well as the safety who is covering Gronk. Gronk runs an excellent out post for a 20 yard gain. Next play, 1st and 10, on their 42, 4:23 2nd Q, in posse again 3 x 1, there is a trapping play by Connolly who is the kick out block, but the key to this play is Koppen who sheds his man and delivers a beautiful chip on Connolly's man, so that Connolly keeps running unchecked, and you can see BJGE being patient and having the foresight not to outrun his lead block until Connolly engages, then he bolts for daylight and gains 12 more yards. Taylor has the ball and slips on the next play, but I don't think it was a mistake, I think it had to do with the fact that he slipped on the foot where he injured his toe, because he couldn't get a good plant and cut from that. So I think at that point it was a very wise move to take him out.

I saw a lot of good things in the Woodhead TD- for one thing, it was that patented 3rd down Faulk draw, and if you weren't looking careful, you could swear it was Faulk juking in there, not Woodhead. However looking at the play again, only Woodhead could have made it because he popped through a tiny hole between the opening created by Neal and Vollmer.

That white shrimp sure ran!

What impressed me was hiting the hole fast then cuting to his left at speed. Crucial for a scatback to be able to cut sharply, Welker style. Woodsie did so.

The overall analysis of the defense is great. I don't think they are that far from at least an above average D.

Let me just qualify that by saying Patspsycho's work is leaps and bounds ahead of Rodak's stuff.

I wish we had done one of these last week. One of the things that particularly stuck out at me last week was the last TD pass to Keller. Sanchez just lobbed the ball up there and it looked to me like McCourty had every opportunity to pick it off, but he never did turn his head. I realize this is way OT, but just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone else had some thoughts about that play.

Thanks but I don't really see it that way. Football is a complicated enough game for there to be several different perspectives on one play. Rodak's views are as legitimate in every way as mine are.

In regard to McCourty, I spoke earlier of the lack of polished technique and being aware of where the ball is at all times is one of them. You need to keep your head on a swivel, while in full speed, and that is something easier said than done.

On the Spiller KR for TD, I present you no less than 2 illegal blocks in the back. Slater hit the turf hard. 'nuff said.

Attachments

• ibb.jpg
    ibb.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back