PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills trade for LeSean McCoy + Matt Cassel

WTH does that have to do with what I asked you? In 2009 the only reason the Jets even MADE the playoffs is because both the Colts and the Bengals laid down for them. Sanchez QR rating for the regular season that year? 63.0. 63 point freaking 0.

With 12 TDs, 20 ints and 8 funbles. Sounds like Sanchez to me.

Cassels last 3 seasons - 20 TDs and 25 INTs. His lone post season game O TDs and 3 INTS.

Cassel will be out on the bench and Sanchez in as the starter before the bye week.

Lets see.

Sanchez was 1 game away from the Super Bowl twice. Matt Cassel has never won a post season game. Cassel is awful and it became very clear why he never played at USC. Cassel basically got Pioli fired he sucks so bad.

No, Pioli got Pioli fired. He gave Cassel a crap O-line to work behind and constantly had new OCs with their new systems. If you wanted to put together a perfect recipe to sabotage your QB that was pretty much it.

Cassel was developing into a good QB when he left here, it's amazing how much difference a smart GM can make.

Cassels last 3 seasons - 20 TDs and 25 INTs. His lone post season game O TDs and 3 INTS.

Cassel will be out on the bench and Sanchez in as the starter before the bye week.
And Sanchez has 50 interceptions over the past 3 years. But it's academic because Sanchez won't BE in Buffalo.

Free agency hasn't even started, and the Bills have already upgraded at QB and WR, for the price of a player that never saw the field and draft picks that (barring sheer luck) would not have yielded a QB of Cassel's worth.

So we are ignoring that he won the PFW ROTY award just a year prior and the only reason he never saw the field is because of a serious injury in the preseason ?

If only there was a way to express how I feel about the way you phrased things.. ah wait you already did that for me:

Yes, if you cherry pick just last year, you can make your comment and some people will be willing to buy it.

Only a dangerously insane human being is going to argue Sanchez > Cassel.

No, Pioli got Pioli fired. He gave Cassel a crap O-line to work behind and constantly had new OCs with their new systems. If you wanted to put together a perfect recipe to sabotage your QB that was pretty much it.

Cassel was developing into a good QB when he left here, it's amazing how much difference a smart GM can make.

Cassel fumbled 14 times in 2009 after leaving NE. Evidently that's the OCs fault.

Pioli was fired for sticking with Cassel and making him a multi millionaire. Then hiring a 2nd HC who would keep him as the starter when its clear he doesn't have what it takes.

Cassel had 1 good season out of 4 in KC on the back of one of the best RBs in the game. When Jamal Charles left the 2010 Ravens vs Chiefs playoff game hurt, Cassel wasn't winning anything. Then he went to the Vikings and lost up there. Now he will lose in Buffalo. 11 seasons in and Cassel is nothing more than a glorified Game Manager.

And Sanchez has 50 interceptions over the past 3 years. But it's academic because Sanchez won't BE in Buffalo.

Sanchez definitely will be in a Bills uniform.

Other than WR Justin Brown from Pittsburgh, the Bills are getting older and slower. Big names, but questions abound about what they have left come with Incognito, McCoy and Cassell. Throw Rex Ryan, the NFL's biggest foghorn into the mix, and you have lots of interest.

Incognito and McCoy can be locker room dividers, and create noise that way as well.

Looks to me like the owners are going for buzz and relevance in Buffalo after several quiet years where the Jets and Patriots hogged the headlines.

Are they any better? Who knows.

This pretty much takes them out of the revis running doesnt it? Mike reiss said they only have 13million $ left in cap space

13 million dollars under the cap at this particular moment is a fine enough place to be, and as we all know they can free up other money in any number of ways. They could even potentially structure Revis' long term pact for a cap hit of 10-11 million dollars for 2015 and get him now without having to do anything else if they really wanted to.

We've seen the episodes of "Hard Knocks." We know exactly what Rex Ryan feels about Darrelle Revis, and the flexibility that he could provide to that defense.

Last edited:
Buffalo IS the rat in the woodpile....

Cassel fumbled 14 times in 2009 after leaving NE. Evidently that's the OCs fault.

Pioli was fired for sticking with Cassel and making him a multi millionaire. Then hiring a 2nd HC who would keep him as the starter when its clear he doesn't have what it takes.

Cassel had 1 good season out of 4 in KC on the back of one of the best RBs in the game. When Jamal Charles left the 2010 Ravens vs Chiefs playoff game hurt, Cassel wasn't winning anything. Then he went to the Vikings and lost up there. Now he will lose in Buffalo. 11 seasons in and Cassel is nothing more than a glorified Game Manager.

I don't disagree that Cassel is nothing more than a glorified game manager, but even that is a significant upgrade in Buffalo to what they had last year. Combined with Shady and that defense, they will be tough.

I think the fumble thing is over-rated. It happens for a lot of different reasons, from inexperience to terrible OL to hanging onto the ball longer due to the receivers, it could be a bad snap, and it can also be partly the OC calling plays that are doomed to fail because of the personnel on the field. Maybe the game plan is wrong and guys are getting beat and they're not adjusting. It could be a lot of things. I didn't watch any KC games in 2009 so I don't know, but it's worth mentioning he improved significantly in 2010 under Charlie with only 3 fumbles.

Plus it's hardly a measure of a QB's success. Brady had 12, 11, and 13 fumbles in his first 3 seasons as a starter, and won Super Bowls in 2 of them. Rodgers had 12 fumbles last year and won MVP. Obviously we want fewer fumbles, but it's not really one of the most important things when evaluating a QB.

Last edited:
I keep hearing about Rex Ryan's ability to coach them up on defense, but I don't see it. Never have. If anything Ryan has shown that he can't coach up anything. For the entire time that he was the HC of the NYJ his offense sucked and his ST and defense got worse each year. The Bills will be lucky to survive his time there.

Our biggest threat in the AFCE is still the Dolphins.

Buffalo made two great moves yesterday. McCoy is a great RB. Cassel at the risk of damning with faint praise is better than EJ Manuel. The defense needs some help, but not on the line. LB/CB. And some help to the OL wouldn't be bad either, but they have the makings of a good team now.

They can convert most of McCoy's salary to bonus and create another 6-7 million in cap space if they need it.

I expect them to go hard after David Harris. They would be in on Revis if it came to that too, but I think Revis comes back to us over the weekend. Even though he isn't a free agent, I'm sure his agent has had "hypothetical" discussion with interested teams... "So, if a true #1CB were to become available... hypothetically... how much would you pay."

Fumbles are often connected to lack of protection.

Cassel performed well when he had good pieces around him, which is quite common. If Montana was drafted by Tampa Bay you'd only know him as a 'decent game manager that had occasional flashes of greatness'. Pioli didn't bother to build an O-line around Cassel, even Manning will look weak and ordinary if that's what he's working with, the Superbowl against Seattle demonstrated that very well.

I don't think Cassel is a great QB or ever will be, but he was putting together some impressive performances when he was here, with good coaching and the necessary pieces around him.

Fumbles are often connected to lack of protection.

Cassel performed well when he had good pieces around him, which is quite common. If Montana was drafted by Tampa Bay you'd only know him as a 'decent game manager that had occasional flashes of greatness'. Pioli didn't bother to build an O-line around Cassel, even Manning will look weak and ordinary if that's what he's working with, the Superbowl against Seattle demonstrated that very well.

I don't think Cassel is a great QB or ever will be, but he was putting together some impressive performances when he was here, with good coaching and the necessary pieces around him.

If I have to choose between Sanchez and Cassel I would pick the lesser of 2 evils and take Sanchez.

Coddled in the right system I believe he can make enough plays to win.

First off, please don't pretend like you know anything about the bills defense ...lol. second off, Pettine and Ryan DO run a very similar style defense, they worked together in Baltimore and N.J for years. You don't think that they might share a similar approach to defense. It is NOT strictly a 3-4, it is a HYBRID. Third off, they have the same players on d as they did in 2013 for the most part. Do you honestly think that they are all of a sudden going to forget what they learned two years ago. Fourth off, 3-4, 4-3, 46...it doesn't matter, mario came to buffalo for one reason....a S---ton of money.

what buffalo played in 2013 is not what rex ryan has used with the jets....not even close

end of story

I keep hearing about Rex Ryan's ability to coach them up on defense, but I don't see it. Never have. If anything Ryan has shown that he can't coach up anything. For the entire time that he was the HC of the NYJ his offense sucked and his ST and defense got worse each year. The Bills will be lucky to survive his time there.

Our biggest threat in the AFCE is still the Dolphins.

When Rex took over Mangini's team in 2009 he had Revis in his prime, had a bellcow RB and signed Bart Scott. That gave him the #1 defense in the NFL. In 2010 they pick up LT and Braylon Edwards and still have a top 5 defense. Rex had a say in personnel -but did not have final authority. Once the talent started to get old and leave, the team started to decline and the offense and defense turned to poop.

What 6 years of Rex coaching the NYJ has shown us is that he will coach the team to it's talent level. Nothing more- nothing less.

It seems to me that BUF has a good defense. Orton was a caretaker QB and they still have major question marks there. McCoy is a major upgrade but their o-line is very suspect. I still see them as a 8-8 team.

The Jets will stink. 5-11 maybe...

With Mike Wallace trying to shoot his way out of town and some of their other FA WR issues, I'm not sure who Tannehill can throw to besides Jarvis Landry. Certainly there is plenty of time to sort that out. I still see them as a 8-8 team.

If I have to choose between Sanchez and Cassel I would pick the lesser of 2 evils and take Sanchez.

Coddled in the right system I believe he can make enough plays to win.

Sanchez is reputed to be very lazy and he became very agitated when Rexy brought in Tebow, Cassel was able to handle BB's coaching for years. I think that says a ton about their mental toughness and coachability.

Take Sanchez if you like but I think Cassel would do better with a good supporting cast.

So we are ignoring that he won the PFW ROTY award just a year prior and the only reason he never saw the field is because of a serious injury in the preseason ?

If only there was a way to express how I feel about the way you phrased things.. ah wait you already did that for me:

Please feel free to explain how pointing out that he didn't play a single snap last year is somehow cherry picking.

Shapin up to be a Pats/Bills Season Opener Thurs.Banner Night.

I'm finding it odd that multiple people have 'disliked' your post and my post suggesting that the Bills moves will make the Bills the Pats opening day opponent.

What is to dislike about that? It sets up the defending champs against a team that many will be curious about.
....and it's opening night, why what is there to 'dislike' about any opponent for that matter

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Back