PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills trade for LeSean McCoy + Matt Cassel

but with all the talent on the Bills defense, he might have been a redundant asset.
Redundant? Not at the position he plays. They now need 2 MLB. Yes he may not have fit the 3-4. But he's a good player I think he would have been alright.

And all that talent? Ya they got a very good front, might have to find another OLB if Hughes leaves but as Brady proved in Buffalo that secondary can be had

Redundant? Not at the position he plays. They now need 2 MLB. Yes he may not have fit the 3-4. But he's a good player I think he would have been alright.

And all that talent? Ya they got a very good front, might have to find another OLB if Hughes leaves but as Brady proved in Buffalo that secondary can be had
I'm just basing my remark on the fact that the guy who replaced Kiko did a very good job. Plus of course the fact that they have a good defense to start with.

Real question at this point is if Cassel has anything left, compared to someone like Hoyer.

"Anything left?" He's only 32, and has thrown fewer passes than plenty of younger QBs. IMO this is a very solid stopgap move by a team that's done a lot of things right lately. I'm just grateful they gave up too much for their WR last year and have no 1st round pick.

"Anything left?" He's only 32, and has thrown fewer passes than plenty of younger QBs. IMO this is a very solid stopgap move by a team that's done a lot of things right lately. I'm just grateful they gave up too much for their WR last year and have no 1st round pick.

Technically, he'll be 33 for the 2015 season. My "anything left" was more in relation to his downward-trending performances. His passer ratings for the last 5 seasons: 93.0, 76.6, 66.7, 81.6, 65.8 with the last 4 seasons involving him being benched / injured / both at various points. How much of that was him versus coaching / team talent / scheme issues, I couldn't begin to tell you. I'll leave that up to someone who knows what they're talking about (i.e. not me....). I certainly respect your opinion so if you believe he was just being misused and still has the ability to succeed in the right situation (like 2008 and 2010), then it sounds like he should have something left.

I think people are forgetting how Ryan won in New York. Cassel's job is going to be to hand the ball off and generally be a 1 read passer, just as Sanchez was in 2009-2010. Ryan's probably going to look for another RB, a couple more OL and a DB, along with trying to convince Harris to follow him to Buffalo.

It's obviously way too early to be saying "Definitely in/out of the playoffs", but these moves put the Bills in the mix, at the moment, in a weak AFC.

AFCE - Patriots/Bills
AFCN - Steelers/Bengals/Ravens
AFCS - Colts/Texans
AFCW - Broncos/Chiefs/Chargers

Meh, no more than they were a threat to be in last year's playoffs, and they might have been if the North didn't have such a cupcake schedule.

I doubt Cassel is an upgrade over the way Orton performed last year. A healthy Spiller is pretty good - he put up well over 2000 yards in two years on a team where people KNEW they had to run the ball and jammed the box against them. McCoy's an upgrade, but not that great an upgrade because Spiller/Jackson wasn't all that bad.

I hate to say it, but their biggest upgrade might be Ryan. If he can coach up that already impressive defense, then they'll be a threat.

So yeah, with this year's AFCE schedule, the implosion of the Dolphins and Jets...I could see Buffalo winning 10-11 games.

Technically, he'll be 33 for the 2015 season. My "anything left" was more in relation to his downward-trending performances. His passer ratings for the last 5 seasons: 93.0, 76.6, 66.7, 81.6, 65.8 with the last 4 seasons involving him being benched / injured / both at various points. How much of that was him versus coaching / team talent / scheme issues, I couldn't begin to tell you.

That's certainly fair, and it's not as if Rex Ryan is a QB whisperer. But I have a hunch this could be a good fit for Cassel.

This pretty much takes them out of the revis running doesnt it? Mike reiss said they only have 13million $ left in cap space

McCoy is not ground and pound at all, don't understand how he fits into "building a bully on the field". I predict a sub-1000 yard season from him.

I hate to say it, but their biggest upgrade might be Ryan.

Don't forget Richie Incognito. Just don't let him near Rex's new truck with a baseball bat....

Am I the only one who can't help but think of this scene when I hear the name "Kiko Alonso?"

IMO... Even with these additions, the Bills have not closed the gap in the the East, nor will they until they can get a starting-caliber NFL quarterback.

Meh, no more than they were a threat to be in last year's playoffs, and they might have been if the North didn't have such a cupcake schedule.

I doubt Cassel is an upgrade over the way Orton performed last year. A healthy Spiller is pretty good - he put up well over 2000 yards in two years on a team where people KNEW they had to run the ball and jammed the box against them. McCoy's an upgrade, but not that great an upgrade because Spiller/Jackson wasn't all that bad.

I hate to say it, but their biggest upgrade might be Ryan. If he can coach up that already impressive defense, then they'll be a threat.

So yeah, with this year's AFCE schedule, the implosion of the Dolphins and Jets...I could see Buffalo winning 10-11 games.

That Bills defense is already a top 5 unit, and does not need to be coached up IMHO. The influence of Rex Ryan will be negligible an/or par for the course.

Doesn't the NFL usually try to match up two teams people actually want to watch in the season opener? I guess you could schedule the Jags or the Titans, but the Buffalo Bills are pretty far down the list of teams with big public interest...

Well, the options are Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Jags, Titans, Eagles, Redskins, Steelers

The Steelers and Eagles would be worthy home opener opponents, but my guess is the Bills given their transformation. Think back to the 2005 opener when it was Pats vs. Oak b/c the Raiders landed Randy Moss.

Cassel had his moments when surrounded by talent too. What's your point? Sanchez had his shot with a pretty decent team last year, started out pretty good, but in the end was pretty much, well....Mark Sanchez.

Lets see.

Sanchez was 1 game away from the Super Bowl twice. Matt Cassel has never won a post season game. Cassel is awful and it became very clear why he never played at USC. Cassel basically got Pioli fired he sucks so bad.

Lets see.

Sanchez was 1 game away from the Super Bowl twice. Matt Cassel has never won a post season game. Cassel is awful and it became very clear why he never played at USC. Cassel basically got Pioli fired he sucks so bad.
You remember why the Jets even made the playoffs that first year? Hint: It wasn't Sanchez.

Am I the only one who can't help but think of this scene when I hear the name "Kiko Alonso?"

In that one scene you had Tony Soprano's mom, Wrath of Kahn and Chubby from Teen Wolf.

WTH does that have to do with what I asked you? In 2009 the only reason the Jets even MADE the playoffs is because both the Colts and the Bengals laid down for them. Sanchez QR rating for the regular season that year? 63.0. 63 point freaking 0.

With 12 TDs, 20 ints and 8 funbles. Sounds like Sanchez to me.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back