PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills shopping Roscoe Parrish

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must not value draft picks very much if you believe that a 4th wide receiver who would be no more than a backup here is worth a 2nd round pick. Because thats what KC paid for their potential franchise QB and slated starter.

It all depends on BB's evaluation of him. If he thinks he could be the second coming of Welker, than a second is fine. Mind you, that's very high bc the Pats would be paying the Trade In-Division tax. In retrospect, I think a second is too high, but I typed my original post on the fly without much thought.

And he would be the fourth WR this year, but Galloway is 37 and likely a one-year rental. So you're trading for Parrish with the intention of him inheriting the Gaffney role in 2010, and, more likely, during 2009 when Galloway is hurt.

But again, it's more about his return skills, and we know BB values ST immensely.

It all depends on BB's evaluation of him. If he thinks he could be the second coming of Welker, than a second is fine. Mind you, that's very high bc the Pats would be paying the Trade In-Division tax. In retrospect, I think a second is too high, but I typed my original post on the fly without much thought.

And he would be the fourth WR this year, but Galloway is 37 and likely a one-year rental. So you're trading for Parrish with the intention of him inheriting the Gaffney role in 2010, and, more likely, during 2009 when Galloway is hurt.

But again, it's more about his return skills, and we know BB values ST immensely.

During their draft day announcement, the Dolphins justified spending their top 10 pick on a 'kick returner'. How did that work out for them?

Punt return skills are certainly a 'value add' for a football player, but it's not worth more than what the player brings to their primary position. In other words, guys like Larry Izzo are valuable to have, but you don't spend 2nd round picks for them. On the other hand, guys like Slater for a 5th round pick are justifiable. See where I'm coming from value-wise?

During their draft day announcement, the Dolphins justified spending their top 10 pick on a 'kick returner'. How did that work out for them?

Punt return skills are certainly a 'value add' for a football player, but it's not worth more than what the player brings to their primary position. In other words, guys like Larry Izzo are valuable to have, but you don't spend 2nd round picks for them. On the other hand, guys like Slater for a 5th round pick are justifiable. See where I'm coming from value-wise?

Right. Let's forget the second round pick. I've already said that was a mistake on my part. Though one could argue that Devin Hester was easily worth the second round pick as a returner, and ironically has lost value now that Chicago is using him as a WR. (But he is an extreme case.)

I think Parrish would easily be worth the Pats late third (esp. considering they still have the first compensatory pick at 89 if they give up their own third). I guess I value Parrish more as a WR than you do though. I think Parrish in the Pats offense with Brady throwing to him could be as good as Gaffney. Worst case scenario, he is not quite as good as Gaffney, but makes up for it by giving the Pats a HUGE boost in ST. I'd gladly take that trade off for a guy who has led the NFL is average PR for the last two seasons.

And btw, it's not like the production in the Gaffney role has to be outstanding. We're talking about 35-40 catches a year. Parrish has averaged in the 20s in a less pass happy offense. I think he could easily fill that role in NE.

Right. Let's forget the second round pick. I've already said that was a mistake on my part. Though one could argue that Devin Hester was easily worth the second round pick as a returner, and ironically has lost value now that Chicago is using him as a WR. (But he is an extreme case.)

I think Parrish would easily be worth the Pats late third (esp. considering they still have the first compensatory pick at 89 if they give up their own third). I guess I value Parrish more as a WR than you do though. I think Parrish in the Pats offense with Brady throwing to him could be as good as Gaffney. Worst case scenario, he is not quite as good as Gaffney, but makes up for it by giving the Pats a HUGE boost in ST. I'd gladly take that trade off for a guy who has led the NFL is average PR for the last two seasons.

And btw, it's not like the production in the Gaffney role has to be outstanding. We're talking about 35-40 catches a year. Parrish has averaged in the 20s in a less pass happy offense. I think he could easily fill that role in NE.

My concern with him as a receiver is he's had plenty of opportunities in Buffalo, and has consistently come up small. He is an even more extreme version of Dante Hall; someone you want to get touches, but struggle to find ways to do it.

He'd certainly be a boost as a PR, but receivers like Parrish are a dime a dozen, imo.

BB might give Slater one more year to see what he can do in the return game. Slater is really fast and could eventually sub in for or replace Welker in that aspect. So no, I don't think we'll be giving Parrish a look. Personally, I think he'll end up with the Titans to compliment Washington and Gage.

Last edited:
Just saw on ESPN.com that Buffalo is shopping Roscoe Parrish due to their newfound glut at WR. I'm normally not one to be covet every and any available player, but Parrish would be a HUGE upgrade to the punt return game (something sorely lacking since #80's heyday); I don't know about you, but I always cringe when the Pats punt the ball to him. And as far as offensively, I feel he could be highly effective in multiple WR spread formations the Pats use.

Best part is he is young and would obviate the need to draft a WR in the second round.

Two main issues of course are: 1) Would Buffalo trade him in division?; and 2) What is his asking price?

I'd have no problem with NE offering up a third, or even their last second for the guy. I'm that big of a fan, and, if I'm not mistaken, I think he is one of those guys that BB goes out of his way to praise before and after games. (Could be wrong though ...)

The Bills Punt return game has been great for about 10 consecutive years, no matter who is back there. Its not the returner, its the blocking and scheme.

BB might give Slater one more year to see what he can do in the return game..

Do you actually watch the games? Yes, Slater fumbled once.

He's the lead blocker on all the kick returning duties. Hes already a special teams stud.

didnt the bills extend him, or did that never happen last year? I seem to recall there was talk of being resigned to a fat contract.
He's still on his rookie contract, which is why there's a fuss for a Pro Bowl LT starting alongside $50 Million Guards.

If someone gives Parrish 4 million per yr, they are tripping. His value may not be where his current salary is, (1 to 1.5 m) but it's certainly no more than 2 to 2.5.
I think we'd actually at least inquire, had we not just picked up G.Lewis and Galloway, but I don't think Buffalo would trade to us either. And FWIW--I think he'd be a good #3 or #4 receiver and special teams demon. Someone will trade for him, that's for sure.

Roscoe is only about 160 lbs and his value is on punt returns. He has extremely quick feet and he scored several TD's on some pretty amazing returns

As a receiver he is easily defensible with a physical Corner

I agree with your contract value, 4 mil is just plain crazy!

I was going to post a few returns but they are in highlight film from last season

Last edited:
PassLogo.jpg

I don't think there's any doubt that our team could care less about Parrish right now. I think there may have been at least a minimal inquery had we not just traded a 5th for Greg Lewis. With Parrish's lower salary, (1 mill--09, 1.25 next 2 yrs) and special teams presence, he could've been possibly considered for a replacement for Gaffney. We could have inquired at the very least, since he does have some talent and offers special teams help, plus we had a need for that position. I still think someone will offer them a 4th or so, it may have cost a division rival a possible 3rd. Anyway, the point is mute since we're not looking for help at that position any longer

A Philly newspaper is also reporting the Bills and Eagles have been in talks over moving LT Jason Peters to the Eagles.

This is a very smart move by Philly and they have the cap space to make Peters happy.

Do you actually watch the games? Yes, Slater fumbled once.

He's the lead blocker on all the kick returning duties. Hes already a special teams stud.

Have you actually watched this team in the past ten years? I seem to remember Kevin Faulk fumbling many times. However, he is still here. Slater tends to get blown up by big hits every once in a while (the Chargers game where he got flattened by Siler immediately comes to mind) but if he can fix his awareness and flash some of that speed he has, he could be a viable returner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes