PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills OL best in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
While our OL is struggling to keep starters in the lineup,the Bills OL has only allowed 1 sack in 3 games on Fitzpatrick and Fitz has used some of that protection to toss a league high 8 TDs (tied with a few other QBs)

I don't know what plans this D will have in terms of pressure,but it's scary to think that last week they couldn't get to a QB who has been sacked a league high 9 times in 4 games,and now this team goes to play a QB who has only been sent to the turf just once in 3 games.

If the Pats are going to win this game they need to do something that KC,the Jets and Cleveland have yet to do......pressure Fitzpatrick or it could be tough to win this game.

Last edited:
Not sure but Ninkovich will certainly make it look like they do.

While our OL is struggling to keep starters in the lineup,the Bills OL has only allowed 1 sack in 3 games on Fitzpatrick and Fitz has used some of that protection to toss a league high 8 TDs (tied with a few other QBs)

I don't know what plans this D will have in terms of pressure,but it's scary to think that last week they couldn't get to a QB who has been sacked a league high 9 times in 2 games,and now this team goes to play a QB who has only been sent to the turf just once in 3 games.

If the Pats are going to win this game they need to do something that KC,the Jets and Cleveland have yet to do......pressure Fitzpatrick or it could be tough to win this game.

And that's not even a legit sack they gave up. The ball slipped out of Fitzpatricks hand when he went to throw it, they ruled it a fumble, and somehow that's a sack even though no Browns playerever actually touched him.

In actuality the Bills O-Line still hasn't given up a sack.

These guys are good. SCARY good.

On the other side,Brady has only been sacked 25 times in 2009,16 times in 2010 and 20 times in 2011 but already 7 in 2012

.......if the rate of 7 sacks in 3 games holds up all season,Brady could be sacked 35+ this year,way too many hits on a 35 year old body,protection better improve

yeah, Fitzpatrick magnificently threw for almost two hundreds yards, mostly in garbage time after the Jets f stomped them back under water in the Erie Canal, as they held that paragon of pigskin quarterbacks, the tremendous Murk Jokechez, to just under 300 yards.

I must admit, it was a very scary good obliteration Buffalo put up in the Meadowlands. I'm sure the Patriots are quaking in their cleats, brows furrowed in worry, as they get set to match the superstar laden lineup of the Buffalo Bills. Hope BB makes a move to dump Brady and sign Fitzpatrick to a mega year, mega dollar contract this offseason. Man, we're so screwed.

yeah, Fitzpatrick magnificently threw for almost two hundreds yards, mostly in garbage time after the Jets f stomped them back under water in the Erie Canal, as they held that paragon of pigskin quarterbacks, the tremendous Murk Jokechez, to just under 300 yards.

I must admit, it was a very scary good obliteration Buffalo put up in the Meadowlands. I'm sure the Patriots are quaking in their cleats, brows furrowed in worry, as they get set to match the superstar laden lineup of the Buffalo Bills. Hope BB makes a move to dump Brady and sign Fitzpatrick to a mega year, mega dollar contract this offseason. Man, we're so screwed.

In all fairness, jets secondary with revis is much better than what we have.

"Garbage time" is a bit overused for the Jets game. The Bills did pull within 10 with about 6 minutes to go; if the D had gotten a stop on the next drive, it would have been pretty interesting.

Historically, especially through Brady's best years, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better protected QB...dude had all day back there. This may no longer be the case, or so it seems, and we may be beginning to see the results. I'd say at least half of the Patriots' success rests on their ability to protect Brady.

If I were a Pats fan, which I'm not, I'd be more worried about the Bills' defensive front four than anything else in this game.

As far as the Bills o-line goes, they are excellent in run blocking. CJ Spiller is one of the fastest, quickest, and most elusive guys in the open field in the league. If he doesn't play (probably won't) that's a huge bullet dodged, because that guy can explode out of the holes that o-line creates. Freddie Jackson was leading the NFL (or close to it) in rushing yards and all-purpose yards before he got hurt last year too...no real garbage-time stats, either. The line had a lot to do with that.This is basically the same line apart for an upgrade at LT and more depth.

Stop the Bills run game and protect Brady, and the Patriots should win easily. If they can do neither of those things, they could actually lose. I wouldn't focus on sacks given up that much, because they are really probably much better at run blocking.

Last edited:
They actually lost last year after taking a 21-0 lead, thanx to four Brady INT's. This thread talks almost exclusively about all the threats the Bills bring to the table...hate to break it to the Gloomy Gus Garrison but the Pats have some pretty decent players on both sides of the ball too...and if their tweets are any indication, a significant number of them are really really pi$$ed off after that Ravens fiasco.I'm no guru of predictions, just a long time rabid NFL fan, but if Buffalo is starting a few players who are dinged up at the skill positions, I firmly believe they won't be dancing through the tulip garden in THIS matchup. I expect a hard hitting war from the Patriots side of it this weekend. If not, then they have problems.

Historically, especially through Brady's best years, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better protected QB...dude had all day back there. This may no longer be the case, or so it seems, and we may be beginning to see the results. I'd say at least half of the Patriots' success rests on their ability to protect Brady.

If I were a Pats fan, which I'm not, I'd be more worried about the Bills' defensive front four than anything else in this game.

As far as the Bills o-line goes, they are excellent in run blocking. CJ Spiller is one of the fastest, quickest, and most elusive guys in the open field in the league. If he doesn't play (probably won't) that's a huge bullet dodged, because that guy can explode out of the holes that o-line creates. Freddie Jackson was leading the NFL (or close to it) in rushing yards and all-purpose yards before he got hurt last year too...no real garbage-time stats, either. The line had a lot to do with that.This is basically the same line apart for an upgrade at LT and more depth.

Stop the Bills run game and protect Brady, and the Patriots should win easily. If they can do neither of those things, they could actually lose. I wouldn't focus on sacks given up that much, because they are really probably much better at run blocking.

I thought these numbers were interesting.

Tom Brady in 10 full seasons plus 3 games sacked 283 times

Drew Brees in about 9 seasons plus 4 or so games sacked 215 times

Peyton Manning in 13 full seasons plus 3 games sacked 239 times:eek:

Dan Marino in about 16 seasons, sacked 270 times:eek:

NFL Career Sacked Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited:
They actually lost last year after taking a 21-0 lead, thanx to four Brady INT's.

Yeah, the Patriots lost last year after taking a 21-0 lead...

then what happened?

In the second match-up, the BILLS lost after taking a 21-0 lead.

This is a fact. We'll see if the gap is closing between these two teams.

I really believe that this game will be won and lost in the trenches. The turnover battle will be a big factor too...but you can say such things about any game.

another one of those urban legends, Robbo..like , you know..... why drag out all the ESPN/NFLN fairy tale stories?...it's much better to make up totally false scenarios and then gloat that you were right about the line THIS year...every team's board has posters who do this continuously...remember the Jets fan who logged on here and screamed the Jets never had the tuck rule called in their favor, only to find out it had been called FOR the Jets just a couple of games earlier that season?? For some reason, Patriot hatred is some kind of weirdo pastime for these guys.

Yeah, the Patriots lost last year after taking a 21-0 lead...

then what happened?

In the second match-up, the BILLS lost after taking a 21-0 lead.

This is a fact. We'll see if the gap is closing between these two teams.

I really believe that this game will be won and lost in the trenches. The turnover battle will be a big factor too...but you can say such things about any game.

yeah, it's all about just two teams ...right...the Pats go to the Super Bowl, the Bills to the Toilet Bowl...BUT...AHA!!! The Bills took a 21-0 lead in Foxboro!!...on their way to...here it comes....NOWHERE. Talk shee-it AFTER the game....I'm here all the time anyway.

Little of what the Bills OL did in the first three games can be taken as instructive. The Refs were a joke, especially on OL play. Take our game, the Ravens blitzed almost every play on passing downs in the fourth quarter. We didn't, we were unprepared for the scale of holding that the Raven OL did. They were prepared and practiced playing old school football. There were times when Jones was absolutely strangled :mad:.

I haven't seen the Bills play (just a little versus the Jets) but their OL stats may be skewed by the Refs choice of what to call (or rather, not call). That said, I don't think we blitz very much if the real Refs call the holding.

Last edited:
I agree with your major point...I'd add that what we DO know is that the O play calling by McD has been weird the past two games. If we are punching them in the mouth up there and he goes with a delayed draw or an end around that gets slaughtered, I may be looking for a new HD TV.

Other than that, if the Bills run all over the front seven and the secondary gets lit up like a brick oven pizza, then yeah, I think it's time to rethink just what the hell is going on defensively. I just have a hard time believing that three games of essentially street level football is any indicator of progress either way. I can't wait to find out. I want to see this offense go, go, go...no huddle...Ridley hitting it up inside, Ridley on swings, Welker being Welker and being used all game, Lloyd hitting the seams, Gronk on the block and five yard curl...go, go,go....jeezus krist, if McD decides to replace Ridley and run delayed draws with Woody and keeps him in there to block as Brady throws far sideline outs for two yard gains to Slater, I think I'll implode. Sometimes it's just best to smash and keep smashing the enemy where it hurts. These sudden cutie pie changeups that stall the Patriot offensive engine are maddening.

I thought these numbers were interesting.

Tom Brady in 10 full seasons plus 3 games sacked 283 times

Drew Brees in about 9 seasons plus 4 or so games sacked 215 times

Peyton Manning in 13 full seasons plus 3 games sacked 239 times:eek:

Dan Marino in about 16 seasons, sacked 270 times:eek:

NFL Career Sacked Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

lmfao David Carr is pretty high on that list(more than Manning) and how much did that guy play? I kind of feel sorry for the dude. That's a rough way to start a career.

Last edited:
Bills left tackle is a rookie? He'll be matched up against rookie Chandler Jones, yeah? That should be good.

As for the Bills' run attack, aren't Jackson and Spiller both dinged up and not even sure if they'll play?

The Bills always play NE tough, but I fully expect the Patriots to win this game.

Little of what the Bills OL did in the first three games can be taken as instructive. The Refs were a joke, especially on OL play. Take our game, the Ravens blitzed almost every play on passing downs in the fourth quarter. We didn't, we were unprepared for the scale of holding that the Raven OL did. They were prepared and practiced playing old school football. There were times when Jones was absolutely strangled :mad:.

I haven't seen the Bills play (just a little versus the Jets) but their OL stats may be skewed by the Refs choice of what to call (or rather, not call). That said, I don't think we blitz very much if the real Refs call the holding.

The Bills offensive line gave up the fewest sacks in the league last year with 23. I think it's pretty easy to surmise that they have a solid offensive line and it wasn't due to the refs like you want to assume. Cordy Glenn, while a rookie, has been a monster in there. He's huge.

The Bills' o-line has played well, but two of the three teams they have faced are not getting pressure on anyone. The Jets have one of the worst pass rush in the league and only has three sacks and that is because they faced Roethlisberger who has an awful o-line and always gets sacked a lot because he holds onto the ball forever. The Chiefs only have 5. The Browns are a good sack team with 12 sacks in the first three games.

But any performance by any o-line is in question going forward. With the real refs coming back, a lot of o-lines who looked good will fall off because they aren't going to get away with all the holding they had the first three weeks. Just look at Michael Oher. He got away with so much holding on Chandler Jones that he could be charged with sexual assault in many states. He didn't draw a single holding penalty. On Thursday night, he got two against a lesser pass rusher.

I haven't watched any Bills game other than a several minutes of the Jets' game. So I don't know if they are a team that benefited from getting away with a lot of offensive holding. But if they are, their o-line could see a sharp decline with the real refs.

BTW, Jones has been deprived of several sacks this year because of obvious holding that I think the real refs would get. On the flipside, I would assume Mario Williams might have had the same done to him.

Last edited:
Let's not forget that plenty of the sacks Brady takes occur because he tends to hold the ball longer than most QBs. At least two in the Ravens game Brady could have bailed on much sooner but he hung in there and ended up getting pulled down. His toughness, his willingness to get hit has added many sacks on to Brady's total that other QBs, like Manning especially, don't accrue. You can argue whether this is a desirable trait, I grant you that. And it's difficult to decipher exactly how much more (less?) success the Pats and Brady have had because of how long he tends to hang around before throwing the ball away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye