PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill sought out Crowder after game. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarakotas5

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
After the Miami game, when players/coached seek each other out to talk, gladhand, etc., I noticed that Belichick made a direct point to seek out Channing Crowder, #52, of the Dolphins. He did so before he looked for Saban, etc. He is a MLB, 6'2", 245. 2nd year out of Florida. I didn't notice any particularly good/bad/illegal plays that he made. He was excellent in college, but his stock dropped him to 2nd/3rd? round due to, I believe, character issues.

My question is, why? Did I miss something? He is our possible future MLB? Did anyone else catch this?

etc, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I caught this as well. He dropped in the draft due to multiple knee surgeries and the thought that he was fragile. I don't know why Belichick went after him.

I'm curious as all hell. I've never seen him take such a direct route to any coach, never mind a player.

Don't know the answer but Belichick met with him several times before the draft in 2005 so maybe he liked the kid and wanted to make sure to see him.

I think BelichickFan has it.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
What are you talking about.
oswlek said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Brit
The Pats and Fins were beaming and smiling at each other after the game, led by Belichick himself. These are two teams that do not hate each other (leave it to the Dolphin trolls to take care of that for me!)

One thing that struck me was seeing BB embrace Channing Crowder. There was a lot of discussion about us drafting Crowder in 2005 and, when it didn't happen, people said that Belichick turned away from him because of character issues.

From what I saw (sorry! body-language alert! ;) ) I don't believe that. You can bet that Belichick spent time with him one-to-one before the draft -- he's obviously developing the Florida relationship.

I guess they just liked Mankins better (and we didn't have a second-round pick that year, did we?)

NE did, but the Ravens came calling. And when the Ravens call on draft day, you damm well better pick up the phone because it is usually an offer that takes only about 10 seconds to accept. That includes the 3 seconds of "What? Is this a joke?" and 6 seconds of jubilation after you realize that they are serious.

They gave NE a 3rd rounder in the same draft, about 15-20 picks later than NE's second, a 6th in the same draft, and a third in the following draft.

For those who forget, In 2003 Baltimore also gave NE their second and next year's first for NE's then-current first. The take? Kyle Boller vs. Geno and Big Vince

That discussion ...

All of the talk about us drafting Crowder was not a smokescreen -- BB was/is very high on him. If his knees hold up, Miami has themselves a heck of a LB.

BTW, Crowder idolizes LT...that alone is enough for BB to seek him out. :)

Hey Brit,

At first, I was apologetic, then I thought you were being sarcastic, now I think you are being territorial. The thing is: I (somehow;) ) missed that post. The real point is: so what of it? What does it mean? We are after the same answer.

So..what did it mean?

Pats1:

That may be, but why the urgency to just say hi? I doubt many NFL coaches feel the need to keep good graces with wide-eyed potential employees that are perenially replaced? Particularly BB, who seems to be able to sustain a degree of coldhearted capability of cutting fan-favorites, both tenured and hired-hands?

I'm sorry, I'm not being sarcastic or territorial. I'm just disappointed in the board these days. It seems that a million threads get started but discussions don't go anywhere. Some folk seem to start a new thread every time a thought comes into their head.

I hooked my observation onto a thread which was already in progress. I think that that is the right way to go, but it presupposes that people will read through threads rather than just looking at the tag line. No personal offence intended. I apologize if I came across as bad-tempered.

Anyway, to the question. The answer is: I don't really know.

BB seems to have strong links with Florida in the last few years. It's well known that he does an awful lot of travelling around to college campuses and gets to know a lot of players, though he usually doesn't make a song and dance about it. Remember Pat Tillman -- BB kept very quiet about how well they knew each other, but it seems as though they got to know each other when BB scouted at Arizona State and kept in touch afterwards. I think that is typical. Last week it was talking trash with Chad Johnson, now it's hugging and laughing with Crowder.

Oh, and it confirms what we now know: BB does not draft for need. We certainly needed a line-backer. BB obviously thought well of Crowder and all the evidence is that he would have been a great fit for us. But still he took Mankins.

zarakotas5 said:
After the Miami game, when players/coached seek each other out to talk, gladhand, etc., I noticed that Belichick made a direct point to seek out Channing Crowder, #52, of the Dolphins. He did so before he looked for Saban, etc. He is a MLB, 6'2", 245. 2nd year out of Florida. I didn't notice any particularly good/bad/illegal plays that he made. He was excellent in college, but his stock dropped him to 2nd/3rd? round due to, I believe, character issues.

My question is, why? Did I miss something? He is our possible future MLB? Did anyone else catch this?

etc, etc.

Thanks.

LOL. He starts in Miami so how is he our future MLB? They are just going to give him to the Patriots because they have no linebackers? That makes sense.

Hey Brit:

Whilst I still imagine that a comment such as that you "pre-suppose that people read through threads" is a declaration of your malcontent predisposition towards my reply, I will reassure that I do, in fact, peruse the offerings before I make my own. I can only say that my youthful naivite neglects my potential to spend every ever-lasting moment on earth to read every last entry upon this board. Like you, I say, how dare I! How dare I!

It is my mistake that I did not utilize the gracious efforts of our fair moderators to ensure that I did not duplicate a fleeting thought that you had in an indiscriminate thread. It would be nothing but detriment to this site if any idea or insight was ever duplicated. I, as, a non-entity should know this and it will be to my demise that I endeavor.

Richter said:
I caught this as well. He dropped in the draft due to multiple knee surgeries and the thought that he was fragile. I don't know why Belichick went after him.

He also almost beat a guy to death, I believe.

Channing Crowder and Steven Harris

Incident: Star linebacker Crowder and defensive lineman Harris are accused of beating a man into unconsciousness during an early morning fight outside a Gainesville nightclub in May 2003.

Consequences: Crowder pleads no contest to misdemeanor battery, pays a fine, serves community service and attends anger-management counseling. He is suspended for the 2003 season opener. Harris pleads not guilty and his trial ends with a hung jury.

Aftermath: Crowder earns freshman All-America honors. While his case is pending, Harris misses three games. Now a junior, he is expected to be a key player in '05.

Channing Crowder

Incident: A little more than a year after his first arrest, Crowder is arrested and charged with disorderly conduct after failing to obey an officer's orders to stop trying to fight another man outside the same nightclub.

Consequences: Crowder pleads no contest, receives six months of supervised probation, pays a fine and is ordered to perform community service. He is suspended for one game.

Aftermath: Crowder leaves early for last spring's NFL Draft. Knee problems and character issues drop his stock and the Dolphins make him a third-round pick.

Mike the Brit said:
I'm sorry, I'm not being sarcastic or territorial. I'm just disappointed in the board these days. It seems that a million threads get started but discussions don't go anywhere. Some folk seem to start a new thread every time a thought comes into their head.

I hooked my observation onto a thread which was already in progress. I think that that is the right way to go, but it presupposes that people will read through threads rather than just looking at the tag line. No personal offence intended. I apologize if I came across as bad-tempered.

Anyway, to the question. The answer is: I don't really know.

BB seems to have strong links with Florida in the last few years. It's well known that he does an awful lot of travelling around to college campuses and gets to know a lot of players, though he usually doesn't make a song and dance about it. Remember Pat Tillman -- BB kept very quiet about how well they knew each other, but it seems as though they got to know each other when BB scouted at Arizona State and kept in touch afterwards. I think that is typical. Last week it was talking trash with Chad Johnson, now it's hugging and laughing with Crowder.

Oh, and it confirms what we now know: BB does not draft for need. We certainly needed a line-backer. BB obviously thought well of Crowder and all the evidence is that he would have been a great fit for us. But still he took Mankins.

I share your frustration Mike.

I didn't see this and it's not in the title of the other thread.

Hopefully the one thought, two thread people will go away soon.

We definitely looked at Crowder, but did we back off?

Yeah Bill really did make a B-line to Crowder, nearly pushed a couple people over to get there.

Interesting to note, but we may never know what that meant. Speculation is all we have when it comes to Bill's inner workings.

Maybe one of the reporters will bring it up at one of the press conferences this week.

I thought he was looking for Saban, couldn't find him, and said hello to Crowder on the way.

Reading way too much into this guys.

I was watching the game in a sports bar, but I also caught it. I commented to the person next to me about it. Thte only thing I could think of was that he was looking for Saban and just bumped into Crowder. I was one of the Crowder fans during the draft, so it's nice to see the development. But Im glad that I'm not the only one who thought it was curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down