PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Simmons "hears" that Moss and AD are gone, BB is "blowing it up"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tekno - Moss might not be the greatest at gettin YAC but he is better then Fitzgerald in that area.

I agree with this. Kraft is, by no means, cheap. However, the Patriots tried to do things on the cheap this year with their personnel and it blew up in their faces. That said, I do not disagree with getting rid of AD. He makes far too much money to be a complete non-factor in the amount of games that he disappeared in this season. 34 tackles with 3 sacks (0 after Week 12) shows that he is NOT earning his keep. Needless to say, I'm not suprised that there are rumors out there that he will be show the door.

Moss, however, is another story. It would not make any sense whatsoever to get rid of (outside of Brady) the biggest weapon you have on offense when he is still capable of generating 1,000 yards and double-digit touchdown receptions and has one more year left on his contract with the NFL going into (what looks like) an uncapped season. No sense. Moss is still a weapon in the passing game. On top of that, he can help ease the seeds of change in our passing game by sticking around for one more season. What BB really needs to do (I think I've said this about 4,000 times) is get a capable WR3 on the team. Someone that can beat single coverage more regularly than Sam Aiken and who can even demand double coverage at times. That would help Moss, Welker, and even the tight ends out greatly. Getting rid of Moss would be a HUGE mistake.

You either believe that:

1. Moss played great this year (stats, stats, stats),

2. Moss was hurt this year, or

3. That there is something to the theory that intangibles make a champion. That certain people - no matter how talented - just don't have the mental make up to become a champion. That certain people - anecdotal evidence aside - disappear when confronted with the pressure of a big situation (McNabb?). In short, when the crap hits the fan, some people come up big, almost always, and some come up small, almost always.

I thought trading Seymour was BB "blowing it up" since he already lost 54, 37, 50....

exactly... how do you top that? trading brady? that would be blowing it up

Re: Bill Simmons article - "What he hears"

:rolleyes: no one ever said that Gamble didn't have a "better view". The simple fact is that his opinion is meaningless, as is all the people who think they can sit there and judge his body language on tv. The fact of the matter is, Moss didn't quit, and you can live the rest of your life in denial.

MO you epitomize the Moss hater, driven over the edge by the media you have turned a blind eye to all facts and logic when discussing Randy Moss. You have 0 credibility in the Moss debate because you continually twist everyone's words into being about Moss. You continue to accuse Brady and BB of putting Moss above the team. You continue to believe that there is some alternate bizarro world where Moss is some huge quitting cancer and BB and Brady are pretending to like him just to stroke this media-fabricated fragility.

The fact that you say it's impacting the entire offense is laughable at best. Step back for one moment and do an objective analysis on this offense in 2009 and you would actually see that this is the best passing offense the team has had this decade aside from 2007. The only comparable OVERALL offense is that of 2004 which consisted of a GREAT running game of the workhorse season from Corey Dillon (leading to more run attempts than pass attempts).

You guys can judge his body language and put him under a microscope all you want, but all objective analysis refutes your fabricated conclusions.

Oh, no. Not you again.

You either believe that:

3. That there is something to the theory that intangibles make a champion. That certain people - no matter how talented - just don't have the mental make up to become a champion. That certain people - anecdotal evidence aside - disappear when confronted with the pressure of a big situation (McNabb?). In short, when the crap hits the fan, some people come up big, almost always, and some come up small, almost always.

1 and 2 both. 3 is a possibility, but the fact remains that the people who constantly trot this stuff out have no idea what separates one group from the other. Peyton Manning wasn't good enough to win a SB... until he did. Alex Rodriguez wasn't good enough to lead a team to a World Series victory... until he did. Kobe Bryant couldn't be the best player on an NBA champ... until he was. Eli Manning couldn't be a SB-winning QB... until he was.

Certain guys not having 'it' is pretty much always a manufactured story based on faulty media perceptions of a guy; their way of explaining how a guy with a ton of talent could end up not being a champion.

Out of curiosity, why did Junior Seau not win a SB? He was a HOF talent who went 20+ years and never won one, so clearly he didn't have 'it', right?

Last edited:
Re: Bill Simmons article - "What he hears"

Oh, no. Not you again.

What is wrong with him? A lot of information and insight goes into his posts. The person he was talking about is clearly a Moss hater.

Fact is, Moss was one of the best WRs in the league this year. Getting rid of him would not help the Patriots at all. The offense would be among the worst in the league next year, unless you got a talent like Vincent Jackson.

1 and 2 both. 3 is a possibility, but the fact remains that the people who constantly trot this stuff out have no idea what separates one group from the other. Peyton Manning wasn't good enough to win a SB... until he did. Alex Rodriguez wasn't good enough to lead a team to a World Series victory... until he did. Kobe Bryant couldn't be the best player on an NBA champ... until he was. Eli Manning couldn't be a SB-winning QB... until he was.

Certain guys not having 'it' is pretty much always a manufactured story based on faulty media perceptions of a guy; their way of explaining how a guy with a ton of talent could end up not being a champion.

Out of curiosity, why did Junior Seau not win a SB? He was a HOF talent who went 20+ years and never won one, so clearly he didn't have 'it', right?

I just know this - win or lose - they embrace the pressure (or convince themselves that it doesn't exist or doesn't matter). It's easier to see in one on one sports. You see it alot on the wrestling mat. Stronger guy, always used to winning because of strength, hardly never is in a close match, runs into a wrestler with will. Brady, Bruschi, Mcginest have it, as does, as much as I hate him, Jeter and Bird, Jordan, Woods....

You either believe that:

Name the people who always come up big and those who always come up small...

We won with Branch and Givens, did they "always come up big" I'm pretty sure they were pretty useless in the 2003 game against the Titans. If our defense were bad, then we are one and done. What happens then, history is altered to point out that Branch and Givens were "unclutch" or failures?

Fact is it's a team game, and to win any single-elimination tournament you have to not only have the talent, the desire and the determination, but you have to have a lot of things going right at the right times out of your control.

There is 0 way a team is better without Moss than with. That's just a fact, even if Moss never caught a pass, just taking 2-3 defenders per play is more valuable than most receivers in this league.

Depending on how much money he demands in 2011, the cap structure and the team's status, he may or may not be worth the contract he will ask for. For example 2 $10M receivers would help the team more than one Randy Moss, but 2 $4M receivers would not be better than one Moss.

The fact that you would take Welker over Moss says a lot about your lack of understanding of the NFL. Welker's value is increased a LOT BECAUSE of Moss. Welker is NOT catching 120+ passes in this offense without Moss.

I just know this - win or lose - they embrace the pressure (or convince themselves that it doesn't exist or doesn't matter). It's easier to see in one on one sports. You see it alot on the wrestling mat. Stronger guy, always used to winning because of strength, hardly never is in a close match, runs into a wrestler with will. Brady, Bruschi, Mcginest have it, as does, as much as I hate him, Jeter and Bird, Jordan, Woods....

Brady is 96-30 (0.76) in the regular season and 14-4 (0.78) in the Playoffs.

Jeter's postseason numbers match his regular season numbers almost exactly.

What I know is that the TINY sample size of "playoffs" tends to skew stats so dramatically that people like yourself chalk it up to some inordinate ability to "step it up" when it matters. However in reality players tend to perform similarly in the regular season and postseason as the samples grow.

Great players play great more often than not, doesn't mean they never play poorly or only play great in the right circumstance.

What's Moss on for this year, 11.5mil or something like I'm sure.

If you were to dump and use that money to resign Vince then go after either Jackson or preferably Marshall then I can see the sense.

Otherwise it's not something I'd like to see

I think at least Moss needs to play less ... he can't be going long all game at his age and wear and tear.

What's Moss on for this year, 11.5mil or something like I'm sure.

If you were to dump and use that money to resign Vince then go after either Jackson or preferably Marshall then I can see the sense.

Otherwise it's not something I'd like to see

You wanting to get rid of Moss and then sign Marshall makes exactly 0 sense.

How do you figure that Brady has it? He's no better in the postseason than he is in the regular season. What about Manning? Does Manning have 'it'?

You either believe that:

Like guys who catch the game "winning" TD pass on 3rd and goal in the Super Bowl? Oh wait...a couple dropped int's, a blown holding call or two, and a helmet catch negated that.

How about a guy who goes for a couple of TD's and 150 plus against the undefeated Colts on the road...Oh wait a defense can't hold a 2 TD lead in the 4th quarter so that that's negated too.

I got it, lets criticize Moss for not having big stats in a playoff game that was 24-0 before he was even targeted for a pass...brilliant.

You wanting to get rid of Moss and then sign Marshall makes exactly 0 sense.

Attitude aside, cause we all know it's an issue but we've dealt with that before and i think the idea of coming to a winner would improve Marshall, like it did with a certain Moss

I said get rid off Moss' huge salary IF it helped resign Vince. Then you chase the next Moss, who imo is Marshall, big, strong, he's more aggressive which we all know we need, can catch a ball.

Other than attitude, in an uncapped year what is not to like?

Attitude aside, cause we all know it's an issue but we've dealt with that before and i think the idea of coming to a winner would improve Marshall, like it did with a certain Moss

I said get rid off Moss' huge salary IF it helped resign Vince. Then you chase the next Moss, who imo is Marshall, big, strong, he's more aggressive which we all know we need, can catch a ball.

Other than attitude, in an uncapped year what is not to like?

Marshall, while talented, is NOT the next Moss. Wow, what a leap. It's obvious you cannot grasp the talent of Moss. He is not just a great receiver, his only competition for best ever is none other than Jerry Rice.

I just want to know what his buddies Stoner, Slinky, Poptart, and Jdog think about the Pats.

Ha, great line! Simmons is so weak now. Give me barstoolsports any day over him.

Whatever the best moves are that increase the talent and effectiveness of the team as a whole I am all for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back