PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Simmons "hears" that Moss and AD are gone, BB is "blowing it up"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're looking at one more season out of Moss, max. He'll be 33 and had injury problems this season. He was not double-teamed against the Ravens or Jets. He requires constant attention and praise to keep his motivation up. There was considerable evidence pointing to him quitting on plays this season. He's not going to be the same receiver as he was in 2007, not even close.

I disagree - his #s this season were still quite good, in spite of everything. There's no saying that, if we get a legitimate 3rd receiver, that he does in fact become the receiver he was in 2007. One could say he might lose a step - well I think he'd already lost a step before 2007, and look how good he was then.

It doesn't sound good to say: but if Moss quits on this team b/c it doesn't have the weapons around him to keep him happy, then frankly the team isn't going to be good enough to win whether he's motivated or not. Finding at least one more starting caliber wide receiver is a huge priority - getting rid of their best healthy wideout would just be a step in the wrong direction.

I actually would ove this if its true. It would be nice to see BB angry at how we performed last season and doing an overhaul.

I don't think Moss "needs to go" but I wouldn't be shocked by his release. The guy has been doggying it ever since he got his $. I don't believe they'll be in the market for a "stud RB". The people who continue to cry for a great RB are just fantasy geeks who know very little about winning a REAL championship. A RB is only as good as the blocking in front of him. We need another stud OG.

Bill Simmons know less about football than many of the posters here.

Check out his picks from last week: 0-4.

Whether a 58-year-old man can rebuild this franchise AND coach it remains to be seen. I just know it's never been done before."

AGEISM!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't think Moss "needs to go" but I wouldn't be shocked by his release. The guy has been doggying it ever since he got his $.

Seriously, what are you on?

REC: 83
YDS: 1,264
AVG: 15.2
TDS: 13

So, out of curiousity, who would play wide receiver for us next year? Welker will most likely miss the entire season, and if you trade Moss, that leaves you with Aiken and Edleman as your top 2 receivers. Granted, they would draft/sign some, but will any be better that moss? moss is fine, what they need is a good receiver on the other side to stretch the field.

Re: Bill Simmons article - "What he hears"

I know one thing, nothing will surprise me short of Belichick or Brady leaving. Whether Moss leaves or not I have no clue but I am certain his game vs. Carolina didn't amuse Belichick.

Careful! That comes awfully close to making the obviously unacceptable claim that the Panthers defenders might actually have had a closer and more relevant perspective on Moss' game and effort than some of the homers here had.

Last edited:
You're the biggest Maroney apologist on here. It wouldn't be terrible if he let him go.

To be honest, any pejorative coming from you should be worn as a badge of honor.

The voice of the fairweather, jump off the side of the mountain fans is Bill Simmons. Guy knows jack about football. Let alone what's going on with the Patriots.

And it's not shocking that Belichick is going to be more aggressive this off season and Adalius will be traded because he would like more draft picks, etc. The only thing he is throwing out there is the "shock" factor that Moss is gone.

Simmons clones love this type of drivel though.

Last edited:
The Pats are in position to totally revamp the roster cap or no cap. I wouldn't be shocked if Randy was cut or traded. He has faded late in the season each year he has been here. Even with an elite WR, you can't have him disapear come down the stretch and playoff time. If Belichick thinks he can replace Moss with one or two of the top WRs available in free agency, I can see the Pats parting ways especially if they can get him traded.

I wouldn't bet on it, but it definitely wouldn't be a shocking situation.

Moss only has one year left on his contract, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to dump him in the uncapped year with just that one year left.

A lot of streaks ended in 2009/10. Maybe one of them was signing piles of mediocre players in the hopes of getting some production.

I agree with this. Kraft is, by no means, cheap. However, the Patriots tried to do things on the cheap this year with their personnel and it blew up in their faces. That said, I do not disagree with getting rid of AD. He makes far too much money to be a complete non-factor in the amount of games that he disappeared in this season. 34 tackles with 3 sacks (0 after Week 12) shows that he is NOT earning his keep. Needless to say, I'm not suprised that there are rumors out there that he will be show the door.

Moss, however, is another story. It would not make any sense whatsoever to get rid of (outside of Brady) the biggest weapon you have on offense when he is still capable of generating 1,000 yards and double-digit touchdown receptions and has one more year left on his contract with the NFL going into (what looks like) an uncapped season. No sense. Moss is still a weapon in the passing game. On top of that, he can help ease the seeds of change in our passing game by sticking around for one more season. What BB really needs to do (I think I've said this about 4,000 times) is get a capable WR3 on the team. Someone that can beat single coverage more regularly than Sam Aiken and who can even demand double coverage at times. That would help Moss, Welker, and even the tight ends out greatly. Getting rid of Moss would be a HUGE mistake.

An uncapped year does allow for a more rapid than normal roster makeover, if ownership agrees, since dead cap money for any guys cut is not an issue

Last edited:
Re: Bill Simmons article - "What he hears"

Careful! That comes awfully close to making the obviously unacceptable claim that the Panthers defenders might actually have had a closer and more relevant perspective on Moss' game and effort than some of the homers here had.

What about Ron Jaworski? Patriots homer?

I don't trust Simmons' insight outside of the NBA, but it's worth remembering that he broke the Brady's ribs story. The guy's pretty connected. I still doubt that he's right, but I'm a little bit worried that he might be.

Rumor is that Belichick had a falling out with Kraft after the Spygate fiasco but Kraft couldn't fire Belichick at the time because Goodell convinced Kraft that it would hurt the NFL and even more so the Patriots. Firing Belichick would only add to the flame the idea that the video taping was a big part in our SB seasons. So Kraft has been stuck with Belichick, more or less. What makes it even more interesting is that since then, Belichick has been planning to move his operation out west, where he doesn't see as big a competition as he does here (since Parcells was hired in MIA). He apparently consulted the Hunts to hire Pioli and the Hunts agreed with the caveat that Belichick himself would come later on (this part is pretty unbelievable IMO). Belichick then traded Cassel and Vrabel to KC for a mere second round draft pick when he was offered a lot more from other teams. Apparently, BB was sold on Cassel after the 08 season that he could win a SB with a good team around him and placed him in KC to be his QB once he gets there. Vrabel was sent for his leadership and because he's BB's most effective enforcer. This was supposed to be a 3 year plan, with BB finally leaving the Pats after the 2010 season, but after Weiss and Crennel both became unemployed, it became obvious that it's time to pack up from NE, hire Weiss and Crennel, and see if they could rekindle what they had here in NE earlier this decade in KC.

Take it for what it's worth, it could be a useless rumor...;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots