PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Simmons argues Brady for MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
FloridaPatsFan said:
My point to this rant is that I am disappointed with the Pats fans that are even arguing a silly point as who wins the MVP. Brady probably deserves it, but championships are what the players play for.
Yup, just like Bella*Chick said... just something to talk about so we have an excuse not to work. :) MVP doesn't matter much to me. Sure, it'd be nice to see Tommy get the recognition, but I'll take the Super Bowl rings anyday.

Bella*chick said:
The Michael Vick could be the best QB in the league and still be overrated reminds of something Cindyto look like Cindy Crawford."

agree with all you've said but I think that all Pats fans are doing here is discussing a Bill Simmons article. No more, no less. I don't anyone here really cares about the MVP thing.

Yes, true, I was ranting. I was surprised at how much argument was going on. Its amazing how hugely different Manning and Brady are. About the only thing they have in common is that they both play the same position.

The real problem with the MVP is that they only pick it based on the regular season.

If they waited til after the SB, Brady would already have 1 (2003 without ANY doubt) and may have 2.

dryheat44 said:
Michael Vick is the most overrated professional athlete of all time. He just got too much press....kind of like Reggie Bush is getting now (once-in-a-generation player...or at least since Ki-Jana Carter, Desmond Howard, or Raghib Ismail). Michael Vick could be the best quarterback in the league, and he'd still be overrated. And Michael Vick isn't even close to being in the TOP HALF of quarterbacks in the league. Seriously.

You have the top tier in Brady, Manning, Palmer

Then a second tier with guys like McNabb, Hasselbeck, Plummer, Brees, Green

Then a better-than-average group, with guys like Favre, Culpepper, the other Manning, Roethlisberger, Leftwich, McNair, and Brunell

The thoroughly average group, with guys like Pennington, Dilfer, Grossman, Simms, Holcomb, Collins, Boller, and Vick

The can't-win-with group, like Brooks, Bledsoe, Harrington

NO WAY Palmer is in the top tier YET! He needs to win some playoff games. As of today, he has only 17 NFL wins as a starter and has yet to play a playoff game, but you seem to have no issue with putting him up there with Brady and oh Manning...really?

AndyJohnson said:
The real problem with the MVP is that they only pick it based on the regular season.

If they waited til after the SB, Brady would already have 1 (2003 without ANY doubt) and may have 2.

Very good point. So, Brady has two Super Bowl MVPs. Wonder if he'd trade them for regular season MVPs? Probably not, or maybe it's a moot point, or a don't care. The rings are where it's at. Still, You always hear about the chip he has on his shoulder from being drafted way down in the sixth round, and all the stiff QBs that went ahead of him. Helps give him that super edge, I think. All in all, I'd think down deep he really wants an MVP someday.

Tony Collins said:
Took awhile but I got it. Let's see. You go 3-5 against teams with winning records, you should be MVP.

Thought I was slow.

Yeah, yeah- and when your overpaid QB actually wins a meaningful game, get back to us. ;)

Drewwho said:
NO WAY Palmer is in the top tier YET! He needs to win some playoff games. As of today, he has only 17 NFL wins as a starter and has yet to play a playoff game, but you seem to have no issue with putting him up there with Brady and oh Manning...really?
I agree Palmer has not played long enough to be getting so much credit. Brady is a top competitor and is the heart of the Patriots. One of the top players in the league right now but I can't see him winning the MVP. Shaun Alexander is most likely going go get the TD record and is not that far from 2000 yards. I feel that those are to big of numbers to not give it Shaun.

if vick was our qb, and had our exact record, with our exact team, he would be MVP.. vick is a poster boy, like manning, of the nfl... they drive sales... face it, that's what sells in the nfl... they promote their "boys", just like the NCAA promotes its heisman boys... brady is dull... did anyone ever say brady would change football? was brady even wanted out of college? obviously not... brady doesnt put asses in seats... he just wins...

if you think about it, where would we be with doug flutie as qb? nothing against flutie, but right now, we are the one team that no one wants to face... MVP = most VALUABLE player, not they dude with the nike contract, or the new NFL TD record holder... i think it is a very easy decision.

Yo, TC-Troll... last time i looked, you got a two-game LOSING streak heading into the playoffs.. nothing like showing true colors around playoff time!

The one team no one wants to play right now is the patriots. nuff said.

Drewwho said:

That's the great thing about rankings..there reflective of right now. Last year I would have put Plummer in the bottom 8. This year he's a new QB. In the unlikely event Palmer forgets how to play quarterback, he'll fall down the list. I have no problem putting him as the #3 QB in the NFL.

dryheat44 said:
That's the great thing about rankings..there reflective of right now. Last year I would have put Plummer in the bottom 8. This year he's a new QB. In the unlikely event Palmer forgets how to play quarterback, he'll fall down the list. I have no problem putting him as the #3 QB in the NFL.

I just don't get it how how how can you give him props like that in such a short time after he has won NOTHING!????...I just don't know...I just like guys to prove themselves first. Call me crazy, but #3 after 2 years and NO playoff experience is pretty lofty. Consider that some don't even put Tom Brady in the top 5 after 9-0 playoff record and 3 SB in his short career.

This just proves that most are caught up in the draft postion as well. Since Palmer was a #1 pick, he MUST be good, and since Brady was a 6 rounder he MUST be playing above himself and it MUST be THE SYSTEM -whatever! Many already have Palmer ahead of Brady...just plain WRONG!

Now, I know you are not saying that about Brady - so don't freak out with your response please, I am just referring to what most think. However, that being said, your thinking of Palmer is dead on with this theory. Am I wrong???? Does Palmers pocket presense and ability to win in the clutch at the most important times astound you? Do the offensive weapons at WR and RB and not to mention that OL in Cinny have any bearing on his success so far??? Am I wrong, but didn't Kitna do very well with this team a couple of years ago with an 8-8 record??? Is the drop off from Kitna to Palmer that great? NO, it isn't...I think Kitna could do the same with this cast of characters.

Palmer might end up being one of the best, but right now to just hand it to him seems very premature.

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
As for Barber, I might have voted for him a week ago, and only because that Giants team would have been 6-10 or 7-9 with an above-average running back in his place (let's say Domanick Davis). But after watching them get kicked around by the Skins last week, I don't think they're a championship-caliber team -- it's hard to imagine the Giants having a league MVP when they probably aren't getting out of the first round.[/i][/color]

I hate it when sportswriters do not follow the rules of MVP voting. If the vote for NFL MVP is based on regular-season production and it is, then vote using that criteria.

Drewwho said:
I just don't get it how how how can you give him props like that in such a short time after he has won NOTHING!????...I just don't know...I just like guys to prove themselves first. Call me crazy, but #3 after 2 years and NO playoff experience is pretty lofty.

We can only call you crazy after seeing your QB rankings. Behind what QBs do you rank Palmer??

Palmer is #3 in my book.

Last edited:
no qb has won ANY playoff games this year... if you are talkin bout all-time, then yes, he needs some playoff wins... if you're talking about this year (for this year's MVP award), you only have 3 QBs: brady, manning, and palmer

Last edited:
Miguel said:
I hate it when sportswriters do not follow the rules of MVP voting. If the vote for NFL MVP is based on regular-season production and it is, then vote using that criteria.

miguel, i dont think that regular-season "production" is the criteria for nfl mvp award... (i'd like to see a link for the official definition, if anyone has one)...
if you are right, then alexander wins, and it should be unanimous... if alexander was on a team that was 1-15, and he had his same stats, should he win MVP?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that 50 AP voters have to hand in their votes before the playoffs begin. So what happens, IMO, in the playoffs or more importantly what they THINK is going to happen in the playoffs should not affect how they vote for the MVP.

Miguel said:
I'm pretty sure that 50 AP voters have to hand in their votes before the playoffs begin. So what happens, IMO, in the playoffs or more importantly what they THINK is going to happen in the playoffs should not affect how they vote for the MVP.

Agree that is the system, disagree it is the way it should be.

I think his point was reg season PRODUCTION isnt the crtieria alone, because team success is part of the equation.

AndyJohnson said:
I think his point was reg season PRODUCTION isnt the crtieria alone, because team success is part of the equation.

My original post should have been clearer. My main point was that sportswriters should follow the rules. If they have to turn in their votes before the playoffs and I'm pretty sure that they do, they are then being asked to vote on the MVP of the regular season.

Last edited:
Why Tony Collins?

I'm not trying to attack another member here, but I guess I don't understand why someone that dislikes the Pats would spend so much time posting here.

I also don't understand why he uses a former Patriot players name unless he thinks it's a funny drug reference. If he's looking to be funny, Midnight Van Lines might be a better name for him since he's obviously a big time Colts fan and we know how they got to Indy.

I wouldn't go to the Colts website and waste the time he spends here and certainly wouldn't call myself Bert Jones or some other former Colt player name.

As William Shatner said to the Trekies in the Star Trek convention skit on SNL ..."Get a life."

Miguel said:
My original post should have been clearer. My main point was that sportswriters should follow the rules. If they have to turn in their votes before the playoffs and I'm pretty sure that they do, they are then being asked to vote on the MVP of the regular season.

right... i was only questioning the "production" point, not the regular season part... they do have to turn the votes in before the playoffs; it is a regular season mvp... not sure why you dont think they are following the rules, though...

not that it matters, but my mvp vote would be: alexander, brady, palmer, and manning, in that order.. .IMO, palmer is more valuable to the bengals, than peyton is to the colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back