PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Polian offers his 2cents about Hernandez.

I disagree. Hernandez dropped to where he did because of character concerns. Getting into fights, failing drug tests, and "hanging out with the wrong crowd" is not something that teams take lightly. We are talking about a billion dollar high-profile organization under a magnifying glass. It's not crap, and it's all documented to a certain degree if you look back.

This happens every year with a number of guys. Sometimes these guys pan out, and sometimes they justify the well-known misgivings teams have about them. Nobody wants to bring a player into the fold that may cause problems later on down the line, but some teams are willing to take risks on them after their value matches that risk...a gamble based on talent. These guys basically are kids, after all. Nobody is thinking murder.

The Bills picked up Da'Rick Rogers as an undrafted free agent this year, for example. The team admitted to having him as a late first round/early second round talent, but the guy was not even drafted because he failed some drug tests and violated team team rules, basically...lots of teams had his talent rated high. But literally half the league went after him in free agency.

Football may be a game, but running a billion dollar business is not.

What you've said does resonate with me and I'd even say I may of exaggerated the lack of impact a bit in my post. I do believe that even if Hernandez was considered high character he'd of went no earlier than the 3rd round just the same because of his size and the TE not being a high draft pick position around that time.

If you check out this website it shows that talent generally trumps character concerns.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/brettsmiley...the-2013-nfl-drafts-character-issues?s=mobile

How is what's demonstrated in this thread any different?

Lots of homerism perceptions going on here, ask me...kind of an "us against them" mentality, even though Polian said nothing out of line or untrue. Polian DID NOT attack the organization in any way, nor is he out to promote himself for having superior morals. Polian saw enough red flags to take him off his board. So what?

Perhaps you can tell me what the hell "the Patriot Way" is supposed to even mean. Talk about "high and mighty." The Pats have been a great team for a long time, no doubt, but are you saying that the reality is that they have more integrity than other teams because of their success? Dunno what that means, really...the Patriot way.

I'm asking a question, not making a statement BTW.

I really don't think that the general public perception is that the Patriots did anything wrong by employing Hernandez, as though they had any idea what would come. Hell, Goodell himself would have kicked the guy out of the league if anyone knew.

Patriot Way = no matter where you come from, what you did, however you ended up on this team, once on this team you will not place yourself above the team at game time, in practice or in preparation. You will take your job and the quest for winning with the utmost seriousness.

Does the Patriot Way (the real Patriot Way) have perfect attendance? No. But I would defy you to find anyone of serious football thought that doesn't believe the Patriots have been highly successful in propagating the Patriot Way to its players and in how that showed during games.

Does the public think like you on the matter of employing Hernandez? I can't say. Yet almost certainly they are not a monolith. Some, maybe a lot, will feel the Patriots are responsible. And what I can also say is Bill Polian saying 'oh AH concerned me so I would never pick him' lends itself to those that think/may think the Patriots are responsible. Bill Polian knows this or should know this. Then considering a full year after drafting AH, Polian absolutely ballwashed the Patriots drafting, he officially made himself a lowly Ron Borges type (or whatever the Ron borges equivalent is in Buffalo). I guess I would expect the former GM of a top NFL organization to understand the gravity and lack of sense/blame of this murder situation, and keep his yap shut! at least a while (especially considering his blatant hypocrisy). I guess that is too much to ask....

Yeah, it's funny how something as small as a few murders will get people to saying things they'd previously kept to themselves. It's almost as if people are being asked questions, or something.

With the implication being a question forces/requires an answer? And the further implication being that the answer is not then open to questioning of the veracity, hypocrisy or wisdom?

Patriot Way = no matter where you come from, what you did, however you ended up on this team, once on this team you will not place yourself above the team at game time, in practice or in preparation. You will take your job and the quest for winning with the utmost seriousness.

Does the Patriot Way (the real Patriot Way) have perfect attendance? No. But I would defy you to find anyone of serious football thought that doesn't believe the Patriots have been highly successful in propagating the Patriot Way to its players and in how that showed during games.

You could apply that same "Patriot Way" to just about any other team. That philosophy is not unique to the Patriots; in fact, it's what the ultimate team sport is based upon. Instead of trying to find the exceptions (in case you may want to), just concede the point. All teams are trying to basically accomplish the same thing.

The Patriots have been highly successful, but that doesn't mean they have superior integrity or more of a sense of team cohesiveness than teams that suck, if that's what you are suggesting. The Pats just have more talent...mainly at QB and coach, which are the two most important things to have IMO. That's really the difference from where I'm sitting. That has zero to do with morality or anything else. Success does not equal philosophy, integrity, or any of those good things...being successful may make those ideas easier to sell, and things may run smoother when you're successful, but it doesn't put you ahead of those bottom tier teams in that respect. The Patriots are just more talented. Period. Only difference.

So you may say that the "Patriot Way" is to be more talented than other teams. If I'm wrong, tell me why...

Does the public think like you on the matter of employing Hernandez? I can't say. Yet almost certainly they are not a monolith. Some, maybe a lot, will feel the Patriots are responsible. And what I can also say is Bill Polian saying 'oh AH concerned me so I would never pick him' lends itself to those that think/may think the Patriots are responsible. Bill Polian knows this or should know this. Then considering a full year after drafting AH, Polian absolutely ballwashed the Patriots drafting, he officially made himself a lowly Ron Borges type (or whatever the Ron borges equivalent is in Buffalo). I guess I would expect the former GM of a top NFL organization to understand the gravity and lack of sense/blame of this murder situation, and keep his yap shut! at least a while (especially considering his blatant hypocrisy). I guess that is too much to ask....

About Bill Polian...I'm a Bills fan, in case you didn't know. The guy interviews with the Buffalo news constantly because of his history there. Again, before this all went down, he came out saying that he'll take a player that he has concerns about right off his board when he's GM. Right off his board. Hernandez had clear and well-known concerns. Idiots will act like Polian was talking about how he just KNEW things would end like this, but that's simply not the case.

Bill Polian is a football analyst now, and he was asked a direct question. What exactly is there not to understand? He didn't question the integrity of the Patriots, but he just gave his stance on Hernandez in the draft when asked...He WAS a GM in need of a Tight End at the time of Hernandez's draft...probably why they friggin' asked him that question. You tell me why he just wasn't doing his current job and being upfront. This isn't a hindsight type deal or a pissing contest. He didn't BLAME ANYBODY FOR ANYTHING...do you understand that?

He was asked (as part of his JOB) what he thought of Hernandez coming out, and he answered the question. Should he have lied to placate certain Patriots fans? Really, though...

As far as the public perception of the Patriots employing Hernandez is concerned, I wouldn't base my opinion on that on what you read over the Internet message boards. You ever read posts on youtube and such? Not much thought going on there in a lot of cases. I don't think that a multitude of fans feel the need to post their opinions online.

You could apply that same "Patriot Way" to just about any other team. That philosophy is not unique to the Patriots; in fact, it's what the ultimate team sport is based upon. Instead of trying to find the exceptions (in case you may want to), just concede the point. All teams are trying to basically accomplish the same thing.

The Patriots have been highly successful, but that doesn't mean they have superior integrity or more of a sense of team cohesiveness than teams that suck, if that's what you are suggesting. The Pats just have more talent...mainly at QB and coach, which are the two most important things to have IMO. That's really the difference from where I'm sitting. That has zero to do with morality or anything else. Success does not equal philosophy, integrity, or any of those good things...being successful may make those ideas easier to sell, and things may run smoother when you're successful, but it doesn't put you ahead of those bottom tier teams in that respect. The Patriots are just more talented. Period. Only difference.

So you may say that the "Patriot Way" is to be more talented than other teams. If I'm wrong, tell me why...

About Bill Polian...I'm a Bills fan, in case you didn't know. The guy interviews with the Buffalo news constantly because of his history there. Again, before this all went down, he came out saying that he'll take a player that he has concerns about right off his board when he's GM. Right off his board. Hernandez had clear and well-known concerns. Idiots will act like Polian was talking about how he just KNEW things would end like this, but that's simply not the case.

Bill Polian is a football analyst now, and he was asked a direct question. What exactly is there not to understand? He didn't question the integrity of the Patriots, but he just gave his stance on Hernandez in the draft when asked...He WAS a GM in need of a Tight End at the time of Hernandez's draft...probably why they friggin' asked him that question. You tell me why he just wasn't doing his current job and being upfront. This isn't a hindsight type deal or a pissing contest. He didn't BLAME ANYBODY FOR ANYTHING...do you understand that?

He was asked (as part of his JOB) what he thought of Hernandez coming out, and he answered the question. Should he have lied to placate certain Patriots fans? Really, though...

As far as the public perception of the Patriots employing Hernandez is concerned, I wouldn't base my opinion on that on what you read over the Internet message boards. You ever read posts on youtube and such? Not much thought going on there in a lot of cases. I don't think that a multitude of fans feel the need to post their opinions online.

"You could apply that same "Patriot Way" to just about any other team"?
I'm sure other teams do try to push professionalism and I never said other teams don't look to achieve some or much of the Patriots' method. But the Patriots take it to the highest degree ergo making it the 'Patriot Way'. It's why Chad Johnson comes to the Patriots and you see none of his famous antics on the field. It's why you don't see Patriot players shooting their mouth of to the press. It's why you hear veterans speak of their time with the Patriots as either 'incredible Professionalism and commitment to winning" or 'They just won't let you be yourself'. Where no advantage is ever too small. Where saying little when you lose and even less when you win is taken to a sometimes frustrating degree. Etc etc
If you don't want to see the significant differences from the Patriots to most other teams in those areas, whether you or even many like it/disagree with it, than I think you have chosen to disregard that which is obvious. Either that or the phrase "Patriot Way" bothers you to a degree you don't like it belonging to the Patriots.

""Bill Polian is a football analyst now, and he was asked a direct question. What exactly is there not to understand? He didn't question the integrity of the Patriots""
The implication, potentially, was actually what you say it was not. Hey, you are certainly free to feel that if Buffalo takes a risk on a draft pick, that draft pick then commits cold blooded murder, then afterwards BB or Rex Ryan says 'that guy had problems and I would not have drafted him like the Bills did'......you want to see that as some benevolent, benign, just doing their job and answering a question? Feel free to, I'm not in a position to censor anywone even if they are wrong. Me? When someone comes out after the fact to say "i wouldn't do what they did" there is clear implications to that statement. Then add in the fact that Polian was asked about Patriots drafting methods and performance a full year after drafting AH, and he ballwashed BB/the Patriots, it makes his statement yesterday even lower (though just doing his JOB).
If Polian wants to make the distinction between his team's methods and the Patriots methods (which is exactly what he did), at least have the fortitude -- something he lacked 2 years prior -- to mention that all teams take risks and something like this is so unexpected it could happen at anytime to anyone (convenient facts he left out in the process of doing his JOB).

"He was asked (as part of his JOB) what he thought of Hernandez coming out, and he answered the question. Should he have lied to placate certain Patriots fans".
Oh, ok. Geez, it's his job. Well then he absolutely must answer it and his answer is not to be examined for/chastised for its content, implication, veracity, hypocrisy. Swell, so if he answers another question with "the bills sucked last year, the year before, and will probably suck this year", you will be right there to do nothing but adamantly defend the man because all he is doing is "his JOB", right? Or, well, maybe you might examine the content of the answer and the motivation of the answer, don't you think? So spare me this weak implication that doing one's job somehow makes you have to answer a question as well as it also gives you immunity from being taken to task for the content/implication of the answer.

"As far as the public perception of the Patriots employing Hernandez is concerned, I wouldn't base my opinion on that on what you read over the Internet message boards."

Good anecdotal evidence.....that doesn't prove anything.

Yeah, it's funny how something as small as a few murders will get people to saying things they'd previously kept to themselves. It's almost as if people are being asked questions, or something.

sorry but all of this seems like piling on. Hernandez's issues coming out weren't talked about in the least bit by anybody over the past few years and now were hearing about bar fights, shootings etc. and here we have yet another (former) GM talking about how Hernandez wasn't on their board. Maybe im overreacting but using a term like the "Hernandez business" makes it seem as if the Pats are somehow the Cincinnati bengals when it comes to taking in players with character concerns. I just find it funny how nobody talks about not being in the "Titus Young business". Thats why I can't say the Pats drafting Hernandez was a "mistake" because he came and produced for 3 years without us hearing anything negative from him off the field.

"You could apply that same "Patriot Way" to just about any other team"?
I'm sure other teams do try to push professionalism and I never said other teams don't look to achieve some or much of the Patriots' method. But the Patriots take it to the highest degree ergo making it the 'Patriot Way'. It's why Chad Johnson comes to the Patriots and you see none of his famous antics on the field. It's why you don't see Patriot players shooting their mouth of to the press. It's why you hear veterans speak of their time with the Patriots as either 'incredible Professionalism and commitment to winning" or 'They just won't let you be yourself'. Where no advantage is ever too small. Where saying little when you lose and even less when you win is taken to a sometimes frustrating degree. Etc etc
If you don't want to see the significant differences from the Patriots to most other teams in those areas, whether you or even many like it/disagree with it, than I think you have chosen to disregard that which is obvious. Either that or the phrase "Patriot Way" bothers you to a degree you don't like it belonging to the Patriots.

I'm "bothered" by nothing online, and I always give my honest opinion here. So we'll say this: if you don't believe I'm at least being straight up, then don't let's waste both of our time by talking. I'm not stupid, either. That said, I'm not sure that you entirely understood the post that you are responding to here. It's all about talent and how that talent translates into perception IMO.

Would you say that incoming players are more humbled when coming into a perennial contender? Would you say that there are fewer points of contention to spout off about in a team that makes the playoffs every year? Winning solves just about everything in this business, 'cuz that's what it's all about. Bottom line. That's the bottom line. A team like the Pats can AFFORD to keep players in line more than other teams, and it's NATURAL for players to toe the line more in a successful organization.

Like I said, it's all the same deal across the board with every team, only some teams have more talent, which makes the company line easier to sell. Talk about professionalism with a team that was busted breaking the rules... explain THAT and call the "Patriots Way" superior simultaneously. But you probably shouldn't rationalize that, no matter who was busted doing what in the history of the universe. Two wrongs don't make a right. Doesn't matter how much that helped them either. Whatever, but that doesn't mean nothing, and it certainly doesn't point towards integrity. Talk about perception there.

Keep in mind that I personally don't blame the Pats success on any of that controversy. I'm telling you that I think it's all based on talent...that's where your perception comes from...my main point. The "Patriots Way" is based on mainly on Belichick and Brady, who set the general foundation for a winning organization, more or less. People bow down to that, including you perhaps.

""Bill Polian is a football analyst now, and he was asked a direct question. What exactly is there not to understand? He didn't question the integrity of the Patriots""
The implication, potentially, was actually what you say it was not. Hey, you are certainly free to feel that if Buffalo takes a risk on a draft pick, that draft pick then commits cold blooded murder, then afterwards BB or Rex Ryan says 'that guy had problems and I would not have drafted him like the Bills did'......you want to see that as some benevolent, benign, just doing their job and answering a question? Feel free to, I'm not in a position to censor anywone even if they are wrong. Me? When someone comes out after the fact to say "i wouldn't do what they did" there is clear implications to that statement. Then add in the fact that Polian was asked about Patriots drafting methods and performance a full year after drafting AH, and he ballwashed BB/the Patriots, it makes his statement yesterday even lower (though just doing his JOB).

Well, you are entirely fcked up here. Only thing to say. You are taking the whole Bill Polian statement out of context. You should know better. Don't you know that they MAKE these stories to stir up these "controversies" among fanbases online to create these types of conversations in the first place? How many times have you said that such-and-such statement was taken out of context in order to defend one of your boys?

I don't know how many times I fcking have to say it: Polian is DOCUMENTED as saying that if he has certain character issues about a player, he'll take him off his team's board as GM. He said this MONTHS ago. Hernandez had issues, and Polian took the guy off his board? Again, what part of that is not to understand? Sounds to me like a homer reaction on your part, being defensive about another attack that isn't really happening.

Polian tells the truth, and you somehow conclude that he's an ass-munch? The guy is NOT lying, and he's responding to a question. The only problem here is your own misunderstanding. Polain didn't judge anybody except Hernandez on his own. He didn't WANT him on his team because he felt he wasn't worth the risk. He was fcking ASKED about it.

If Polian wants to make the distinction between his team's methods and the Patriots methods (which is exactly what he did), at least have the fortitude -- something he lacked 2 years prior -- to mention that all teams take risks and something like this is so unexpected it could happen at anytime to anyone (convenient facts he left out in the process of doing his JOB).

Good God man, seriously. Bill Polian did nothing other than coordinate his team's draft in 2010. Then he reported about his feelings when asked about Hernandez later...WHEN HE WAS FCKING ASKED. Do you understand that?

Did you want him to suck your **** too, or what? He didn't like Hernandez as a prospect. For the fifth time, Polain has said in the past that he'll take a player off his board if he sees trouble ahead...not god-damn murder, but trouble. Why won't you believe that he said that and meant it? He didn't friggin' say that he's God and can always tell the difference, for crying out loud...he uses his judgement based on reports. He NEVER judged your team in any way. Believe whatever the hell you want, but this is reality.

"He was asked (as part of his JOB) what he thought of Hernandez coming out, and he answered the question. Should he have lied to placate certain Patriots fans".
Oh, ok. Geez, it's his job. Well then he absolutely must answer it and his answer is not to be examined for/chastised for its content, implication, veracity, hypocrisy. Swell, so if he answers another question with "the bills sucked last year, the year before, and will probably suck this year", you will be right there to do nothing but adamantly defend the man because all he is doing is "his JOB", right? Or, well, maybe you might examine the content of the answer and the motivation of the answer, don't you think? So spare me this weak implication that doing one's job somehow makes you have to answer a question as well as it also gives you immunity from being taken to task for the content/implication of the answer.

The man IS only doing his job. What exactly is the harm, except that he isn't sucking your ****?

Speaking of "hypocrisy," where is it? I don't see it.

His motivation of the answer was only to tell the truth...FROM A DIRECT FREAKIN' QUESTION. Maybe I'll have to walk you though it:

1) Bill Polian is one the most respected GMs in the history of the NFL. He has nothing to prove.

2) He is now a football analyst and talks about football topics

3) Somebody asks him a question

4) He answers that question because he is doing an interview

5) His answer becomes a sound-byte online

6) such and such asswipe calls Polian names based on his honest answer

7) bull-syte ensues from Patriot homer

"As far as the public perception of the Patriots employing Hernandez is concerned, I wouldn't base my opinion on that on what you read over the Internet message boards."
Good anecdotal evidence.....that doesn't prove anything.

Most football fans do not post online IMO. The ratio is probably about one-to-ten in my experience, if I had to make a crazy guess. What's yours?

With the implication being a question forces/requires an answer? And the further implication being that the answer is not then open to questioning of the veracity, hypocrisy or wisdom?

No, with no implication, and with the flat-out stating that anyone who goes after Polian over this is just clowning themselves. The reports that have come out in light of the murder show that Hernandez was a big risk. He was the kind of risk that gets taken off of team boards, and teams had access to the reports that would justify such a move. Dennard fell to the 7th round for one lame incident with a cop, for crying out loud.

Polian is getting paid to answer these kinds of questions. He did his job. There's nothing to see here.

No, with no implication, and with the flat-out stating that anyone who goes after Polian over this is just clowning themselves. The reports that have come out in light of the murder show that Hernandez was a big risk. He was the kind of risk that gets taken off of team boards, and teams had access to the reports that would justify such a move. Dennard fell to the 7th round for one lame incident with a cop, for crying out loud.

Polian is getting paid to answer these kinds of questions. He did his job. There's nothing to see here.

We're in business, definitely.

...the truth, and nothing but the truth.

Also, sound-bytes along with the Internet. Some people act like Polian shouted his disapproval of the Patriots from the rooftops unprompted...but he just answered a question in an interview. No indictment on the Patriots or patting himself on the back. That just didn't happen.

Being offended is falling into the deliberate trap set by the writer. It's being a sap.

Well it's midnight and I'm just sitting around, vegging, watching the tube. Clowning myself seems like a good way to spend a few minutes between commercials.
If you choose to see Polians' comments as 'AH did have definite risk' and 'Polian simply responded to the question', that's all there is to it? Ok. I'm choosing to put myself in the unique position of questioning a sports media person's motivation, implication, and veracity/hypocrisy of his answer.
The Patriots selected someone who had red flags/was a risk. This selection now appears to be a gangland style murderer (possibly even a multiple murderer along with attempted murderer). Add in that some media people have connected some 'sorta' dots between AH's actions and the Patriots selecting/resigning him. So when an issue has that kind of gravitas and potential fallout, it's folly to believe that Polian freely and publicly wading into a subject like this to say 'we don't do what they do' is simply just an answer to a question.
Now come on, you have to admit that was some high level clowning!

I'm surprised no one has interjected the cogent point that Polian is more or less persona non grata round these here parts, not due to his current position in the media or as a former Bills GM, but rather, in his role as Indy ColtsGM/NFL rules czar during which he oversaw rules changes for four straight years that were a direct benefit to his moonheaded , walking billboard QB and an obvious retaliation for the shame and disgrace his Colts endured at the hands of Bruschi/McGinest et al.

I'm "bothered" by nothing online, and I always give my honest opinion here. So we'll say this: if you don't believe I'm at least being straight up, then don't let's waste both of our time by talking. I'm not stupid, either. That said, I'm not sure that you entirely understood the post that you are responding to here. It's all about talent and how that talent translates into perception IMO.

Would you say that incoming players are more humbled when coming into a perennial contender? Would you say that there are fewer points of contention to spout off about in a team that makes the playoffs every year? Winning solves just about everything in this business, 'cuz that's what it's all about. Bottom line. That's the bottom line. A team like the Pats can AFFORD to keep players in line more than other teams, and it's NATURAL for players to toe the line more in a successful organization.

Like I said, it's all the same deal across the board with every team, only some teams have more talent, which makes the company line easier to sell. Talk about professionalism with a team that was busted breaking the rules... explain THAT and call the "Patriots Way" superior simultaneously. But you probably shouldn't rationalize that, no matter who was busted doing what in the history of the universe. Two wrongs don't make a right. Doesn't matter how much that helped them either. Whatever, but that doesn't mean nothing, and it certainly doesn't point towards integrity. Talk about perception there.

Keep in mind that I personally don't blame the Pats success on any of that controversy. I'm telling you that I think it's all based on talent...that's where your perception comes from...my main point. The "Patriots Way" is based on mainly on Belichick and Brady, who set the general foundation for a winning organization, more or less. People bow down to that, including you perhaps.

Well, you are entirely fcked up here. Only thing to say. You are taking the whole Bill Polian statement out of context. You should know better. Don't you know that they MAKE these stories to stir up these "controversies" among fanbases online to create these types of conversations in the first place? How many times have you said that such-and-such statement was taken out of context in order to defend one of your boys?

I don't know how many times I fcking have to say it: Polian is DOCUMENTED as saying that if he has certain character issues about a player, he'll take him off his team's board as GM. He said this MONTHS ago. Hernandez had issues, and Polian took the guy off his board? Again, what part of that is not to understand? Sounds to me like a homer reaction on your part, being defensive about another attack that isn't really happening.

Polian tells the truth, and you somehow conclude that he's an ass-munch? The guy is NOT lying, and he's responding to a question. The only problem here is your own misunderstanding. Polain didn't judge anybody except Hernandez on his own. He didn't WANT him on his team because he felt he wasn't worth the risk. He was fcking ASKED about it.

Good God man, seriously. Bill Polian did nothing other than coordinate his team's draft in 2010. Then he reported about his feelings when asked about Hernandez later...WHEN HE WAS FCKING ASKED. Do you understand that?

Did you want him to suck your **** too, or what? He didn't like Hernandez as a prospect. For the fifth time, Polain has said in the past that he'll take a player off his board if he sees trouble ahead...not god-damn murder, but trouble. Why won't you believe that he said that and meant it? He didn't friggin' say that he's God and can always tell the difference, for crying out loud...he uses his judgement based on reports. He NEVER judged your team in any way. Believe whatever the hell you want, but this is reality.

The man IS only doing his job. What exactly is the harm, except that he isn't sucking your ****?

Speaking of "hypocrisy," where is it? I don't see it.

His motivation of the answer was only to tell the truth...FROM A DIRECT FREAKIN' QUESTION. Maybe I'll have to walk you though it:

1) Bill Polian is one the most respected GMs in the history of the NFL. He has nothing to prove.

2) He is now a football analyst and talks about football topics

3) Somebody asks him a question

4) He answers that question because he is doing an interview

5) His answer becomes a sound-byte online

6) such and such asswipe calls Polian names based on his honest answer

7) bull-syte ensues from Patriot homer

Most football fans do not post online IMO. The ratio is probably about one-to-ten in my experience, if I had to make a crazy guess. What's yours?

Not being "bothered by anything online" might be a well intentioned claim but unless you're a Vulcan or you are unaware of your own internal circuitry that binds you to Asimov's 3 laws, it's a dubious one. So to the point of saying that, does my questioning of your claim qualify as another suggestion you are a liar (not "straight up")? Because if it does and it 'bothers' you again, you should ignore my posts as you see fit. However, I would suggest a different strategy, grow a thicker skin. This is an online discussion forum. It's the nature of the beast to be called to the proverbial mat (and much worse) over what you write/post. See your last post with all it's jabs as one clear example.

"Talk about professionalism with a team that was busted breaking the rules... explain THAT and call the "Patriots Way"
Gee, now why would I think your dislike of the Patriots (an understandable dislike given you are a Bills fan) might, just might, be clouding your opinion :rolleyes:?
Anyway, let me burst your bubble here, the answer is yes. Filming the other team to gain any edge possible is definitely the 'Patriot Way' (the real Patriot Way). Pushing the limits to the rules is absolutely the 'Patriot Way' (see: BB injury list). No edge is too small, every one should be striven for and exploited if possible.
The Patriots have a coach that if you told him the world was definitely going to blow up on Monday, his response would be a monotone "look, I'm just trying to prepare for this Sunday and win this one game <crickets now chirping, empty staring forward>'. The Patriot players when another team questions everything about them and even insults them, most all say in near unison "they're a good team. We'll have to play our best to win". Rarely do you hear public comments of even the slightest controversy at anytime.
Most Patriots players, during the game, are noted for their restrained celebrations (something I know some here would like to see more of. Some players would like to do more of too). During the game you rarely see a Patriot player creating a distraction. Widely believed to be 'problem' players come to the Patriots then all of a sudden there is rarely a peep out of them. Etc etc etc.
That is the Patriot Way, the real Patriot Way. And it is not something common to many other teams. The false Patriot Way was this concocted boy scout ideal that some seem to falsely believe. And, again, the real one is mostly unique, to varying degrees, to the Patriots. That is just reality. As to whether it is the best way to win games and all other teams should try to emulate every aspect as much as possible? That is certainly debatable.

In terms of the Polian comment, I'm largely disregarding your attempted comedy or blatantly snippy comments (despite the irony) to focus on the one comment that hits the nail:
"He answers that question because he is doing an interview"
Once again, if you want to see his answer in the vaccum of 'it just an answer to a question because it is an interview', then have completely at it chief. I'll choose to do the "asswipe" (damn, second insult by two different posters in one night on one thread! It is Friday!!!) and unique thing of examining why the comment was made, who made the comment, what is the credibility of the commentator's past, what the comment infers, how true the comment is, how does it dryly compare to past comments. Yes, I know it's crazy as a three dollar bill for a sports fan to do this to a sports media person/long time hated rival, especially when he has some history of questionable comments towards the Patriots, especially when the comment is 'he wouldn't do what my team would do' and it speaks of a murderer. But ok, it was just an answer to a question during an interview, and taking it any further is just unbelievable! :rolleyes:

I'm surprised no one has interjected the cogent point that Polian is more or less persona non grata round these here parts, not due to his current position in the media or as a former Bills GM, but rather, in his role as Indy ColtsGM/NFL rules czar during which he oversaw rules changes for four straight years that were a direct benefit to his moonheaded , walking billboard QB and an obvious retaliation for the shame and disgrace his Colts endured at the hands of Bruschi/McGinest et al.

Polian was the Bills' GM? Really?? I thought "moonhead" and him came from the same Lucas Oil test tube? :D

"Moonhead", that one provided a good laugh.

Polian was the Bills' GM? Really?? I thought "moonhead" and him came from the same Lucas Oil test tube? :D

"Moonhead", that one provided a good laugh.

from 1986 to 1993...Polian was the Bills GM

BTW your retort to Meathead was sublime...I'm writing a little song right now in your honor...it's called "Meat Rampage"...the central theme being an homage to red meat eaters everywhere...

from 1986 to 1993...Polian was the Bills GM

BTW your retort to Meathead was sublime...I'm writing a little song right now in your honor...it's called "Meat Rampage"...the central theme being an homage to red meat eaters everywhere...

yummmm...mmmm....

Red Meat good...Polian bad.

I make writings on Pats board.

:singing:

Hope you had a good Fourth!

Well it's midnight and I'm just sitting around, vegging, watching the tube. Clowning myself seems like a good way to spend a few minutes between commercials.
If you choose to see Polians' comments as 'AH did have definite risk' and 'Polian simply responded to the question', that's all there is to it? Ok. I'm choosing to put myself in the unique position of questioning a sports media person's motivation, implication, and veracity/hypocrisy of his answer.
The Patriots selected someone who had red flags/was a risk. This selection now appears to be a gangland style murderer (possibly even a multiple murderer along with attempted murderer). Add in that some media people have connected some 'sorta' dots between AH's actions and the Patriots selecting/resigning him. So when an issue has that kind of gravitas and potential fallout, it's folly to believe that Polian freely and publicly wading into a subject like this to say 'we don't do what they do' is simply just an answer to a question.
Now come on, you have to admit that was some high level clowning!

Not really. Many people will do anything they can in order to justify disliking an action performed by someone they don't like. Yours doesn't stand out from that crowd.

Polian is just bitter having gone through life wearing a face that looks like someone put out a fire with an icepick.

now THAT is ground breaking...and if anyone knows, it is I, Joe Kerr The Indefatigable and originator of the term "ice pick shampoo"...

a face that looks like someone put out a fire with an icepick...already ringing up the ol' ex-bag to drop this one in her lap...oh wait...she's so fat she sat down and DIDN'T have a lap..
drum.gif

...she's so fat she sat down and DIDN'T have a lap..
drum.gif

Just think, in a few months she'll be looking gooooood to Aaron Hernandez.

We see this very differently.

He is likely a one time murderer and possibly a three time murderer. Whatever he did on the field pales in comparison to the damage he has done.

So, in my view, "Four years of Hernandez" have absolutely no value for the Patriots.

Zero. Zip. Zilch.

If anything, he has destroyed value and now must be regarded as a negative.

Suiting up the Gatorade dude would bring more value than Hernandez.

We sure do. I was chiding Polian for acting superior and drafting inferior players. That's one reason he and his kin were booted out of Indianapolis. He didn't do his job.

Hernandez had a lot of value as a football player for four years. I wasn't discussing his value as a person.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back