PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Polian offers his 2cents about Hernandez.

And, as we all know, perception is usually correct.

True. He chooses his words carefully there, though, and, while I don't read him as endorsing the "perception," he is right to state that it is the reality, certainly outside New England, where I live in exile.

True. He chooses his words carefully there, though, and, while I don't read him as endorsing the "perception," he is right to state that it is the reality, certainly outside New England, where I live in exile.

I know what the perception is as I too live outside of New England. That doesn't mean that it isn't easily countered by anyone with the ability to think critically.

Outside of the local Foam Fingers Unite fandom, the perception of Bob Kraft's "Patriot Way" consists of tainted SBs and now thuggery. With Dennard and Talib on the roster, recent flirtations with Fat Albert and Stinko, and lets not forget the PEDs fuled fellow classmates of AHern....Bobby Kraft and a few diehards here are the only ones left that continue to buy into the Patriot Way myth.

But I do love the premise of this thread....Shoot the Messenger first, ask questions later....some things never change

Is borg short for Borges?

Didn't someone post a link of the most arrests since 2000 broken down by team? How did the Polian Colts fare? I remember the Bengals were tied with the Vikings for #1.

Got it
player arrests since 2000 broken down by team
Apologies to whichever poster I'm stealing it from.:)

Unless I counted wrong (a distinct possibility) the Colts are tied for tenth. I don't know if they got better or worse last year without him. And, yes, marijuana possession, DUI, and murder are treated the same. I know of know formula where murder= 12 x gun charge(s) / x (number of repeat offenses).:)

Thanks for the reasonable response. Your point about the money of the second contract bringing back "old habits and old friends" is an angle that I haven't seen in the national media.

This offseason he appeared to really unravel. Allegedly shooting two people who were described as friends previously, fights with his fiancé, constantly out at strip clubs, etc.

If I was to offer a theory it would be that the 41 year old guy Wallace is an OG who holds some rank in the streets and kept Hernandez protected when he was younger after his father died. I think during his time in college and initially with the Patriots he was able to separate himself from Wallace but once people heard about that money I'm sure they all came running back especially Wallace. Then last summer Wallace saw that Hernandez was involved in that dispute in the club and took it upon himself to initiate that drive by shooting under the perception he did it for Hernandez but it was really to have something to hold over him. I think the FL friend and Lloyd both had disputes with him and pulled out their knowledge of the double homicide during the verbal altercation as their trump card. Hernandez under the mentoring of Wallace decided to attempt to shoot his way out of the situation.

At the end of the day Wallace and OG's like that are predators who prey on younger kids for money, strength and much worse. A great example being the $1200 a month condo for drug distribution, obviously not needed for a guy with a million dollar mansion and a $40 mil contract. At the end of the day Hernandez actions were inexcusable just the same but I believe he saw no way out in his manipulated mind. Even now he's paying for Wallace's defense.

Like I said though just a theory. I could be completely wrong and maybe just trying to believe Hernandez isn't a complete narcissistic psychopath.

lol I love how all of this comes out now. Funny how everybody was quiet when Hernandez was going to pro bowls but now all these teams didn't want anything to do with him. Hernandez was a much better pick than anybody the Colts picked in 2010 even with how it ended.

Aaron Hernandez was a key contributor to 3 division titles and 1 AFC championship which is substantial for a 4th round draft pick. Did it end badly? Without a doubt. Was the 2nd contract a poor decision? Arguably yes. But was the decision to draft Aaron Hernandez in the 4th round a bad decision? Absolutely not.
100% true. Even assuming Hernandez never plays football again (which is a safe assumption) there are 2 (maybe 3) guys drafted in the same round of the same draft who, when all is said and done, will have had more productivity than Hernandez.

lol I love how all of this comes out now. Funny how everybody was quiet when Hernandez was going to pro bowls but now all these teams didn't want anything to do with him. Hernandez was a much better pick than anybody the Colts picked in 2010 even with how it ended.

Yeah, it's funny how something as small as a few murders will get people to saying things they'd previously kept to themselves. It's almost as if people are being asked questions, or something.

This offseason he appeared to really unravel. Allegedly shooting two people who were described as friends previously, fights with his fiancé, constantly out at strip clubs, etc.

If I was to offer a theory it would be that the 41 year old guy Wallace is an OG who holds some rank in the streets and kept Hernandez protected when he was younger after his father died. I think during his time in college and initially with the Patriots he was able to separate himself from Wallace but once people heard about that money I'm sure they all came running back especially Wallace. Then last summer Wallace saw that Hernandez was involved in that dispute in the club and took it upon himself to initiate that drive by shooting under the perception he did it for Hernandez but it was really to have something to hold over him. I think the FL friend and Lloyd both had disputes with him and pulled out their knowledge of the double homicide during the verbal altercation as their trump card. Hernandez under the mentoring of Wallace decided to attempt to shoot his way out of the situation.

At the end of the day Wallace and OG's like that are predators who prey on younger kids for money, strength and much worse. A great example being the $1200 a month condo for drug distribution, obviously not needed for a guy with a million dollar mansion and a $40 mil contract. At the end of the day Hernandez actions were inexcusable just the same but I believe he saw no way out in his manipulated mind. Even now he's paying for Wallace's defense.

Like I said though just a theory. I could be completely wrong and maybe just trying to believe Hernandez isn't a complete narcissistic psychopath.

It was previously reported that Wallace only had a DUI and a few misdemeanors, inow he does not have much of a criminal history.. so before you demonize him may want to get a more facts...

You do not know that the condo was used for drug distribution.. it could be a place where they bedded some chicks..

The reality is not a lot is known, but what we do know it that none of his tattoos are linked to any gangs.. this was verified by the Bristol House of Corrections staff.

My theory is that they are bunch of thugs who went wild, and have to wonder if the wild card is the Uncle where they found the 4 runner and Ortiz... but we do not know all the details.

It was previously reported that Wallace only had a DUI and a few misdemeanors, inow he does not have much of a criminal history.. so before you demonize him may want to get a more facts...

You do not know that the condo was used for drug distribution.. it could be a place where they bedded some chicks..

The reality is not a lot is known, but what we do know it that none of his tattoos are linked to any gangs.. this was verified by the Bristol House of Corrections staff.

My theory is that they are bunch of thugs who went wild, and have to wonder if the wild card is the Uncle where they found the 4 runner and Ortiz... but we do not know all the details.

I may in fact be jumping to conclusions about Wallace based on the 18 year age difference. That would indicate almost a father figure role. A lack of criminal record doesn't mean he isn't a criminal it could just mean his level or rank allowed him to remain infiltrated from day to day activities.

Regarding the tattoos I'm sure he would intentionally want them to unnoticeable. I would point out that the tattoo on his right hand that said Blood was not there in the picture holding his daughter in November 2012. It also looked poorly done in comparison to his other tattoos.

I made mention of the drug distribution because there was allegations of coke in the search warrant according to media reports.

As I previously said it was just a theory.

Re: Re: Bill Polian offers his 2cents about Hernandez.

The uncle might have been the wild-card but if anyone is to blame my money is on the cousin, Roman Bellic.

I know what the perception is as I too live outside of New England. That doesn't mean that it isn't easily countered by anyone with the ability to think critically.

The people doing the countering can think as critically as they want all day long.

Unfortunately, public perceptions are not driven primarily by "critical thinking."

I can't remember which year AH's rookie contract ran out, but I really wish he'd have had a chance to hit FA and see what kind of interest he'd have gained in the open market before all of this. I have trouble believing alot of these holier than thou GM's would have just ignored him and his character issues along with proven NFL production.

It’s a great strategy (the draft method of the Patriots). The fact of the matter is, (the Patriots) have great players that people want and (their draft strategy) works. We’ve watched it carefully, and it’s great"
Stated on March 22, 2011 by Bill Polian.

The worst of the revisionist historians = one that now states they 'knew better'.....yet in the past when presented with the full opportunity to air this 'knowing better' logic/opinion, they instead opted to fully suck @$$ instead of giving mention/giving balance with their 'knowing better'

My apologies to Bill Polian if he took other opportunities when discussing the Patriots drafting to point out he wouldn't take risks on certain 'character questionable' players like the Patriots might do. Yet I won't hold my breath waiting for that interview transcript to be found.

I can't remember which year AH's rookie contract ran out, but I really wish he'd have had a chance to hit FA and see what kind of interest he'd have gained in the open market before all of this. I have trouble believing alot of these holier than thou GM's would have just ignored him and his character issues along with proven NFL production.

IMHO there isn't any doubt. AH would have been a highly sought player......but not by Bill Polian or Mike Brown of course.

The people doing the countering can think as critically as they want all day long.

Unfortunately, public perceptions are not driven primarily by "critical thinking."

How is what's demonstrated in this thread any different?

Lots of homerism perceptions going on here, ask me...kind of an "us against them" mentality, even though Polian said nothing out of line or untrue. Polian DID NOT attack the organization in any way, nor is he out to promote himself for having superior morals. Polian saw enough red flags to take him off his board. So what?

Perhaps you can tell me what the hell "the Patriot Way" is supposed to even mean. Talk about "high and mighty." The Pats have been a great team for a long time, no doubt, but are you saying that the reality is that they have more integrity than other teams because of their success? Dunno what that means, really...the Patriot way.

I'm asking a question, not making a statement BTW.

I really don't think that the general public perception is that the Patriots did anything wrong by employing Hernandez, as though they had any idea what would come. Hell, Goodell himself would have kicked the guy out of the league if anyone knew.

You speak the truth!

Hernandez would of passed a quarry check for just about any company in the United States. Nobody saw this coming, and any claims otherwise is BS.

He dropped in the draft because he was a tweener who lacked prototypical TE size, just like Russell Wilson dropped because of size last year. Add to that the fact TE's only began going in the first couple of rounds in the draft after the success of the Patriots, and even with that a player like Dwayne Allen wasn't drafted till the 3rd round because he was just 6'3 255lbs. This character crap is just that crap. He smoked some weed and got in a fight with a bouncer, hardly screams murderer, actually screams college kid if you ask me.

AH was a great pick where the Pats got him. They also got more production than they paid for during his rookie contract. Based on his kid being born and the "growing up speech", I, and probably every NFL GM would have followed suit with the Pats locking him up long-term. The guys who step up and provide opportunities aren't to blame, it's the guys who piss it away.

You speak the truth!

Hernandez would of passed a quarry check for just about any company in the United States. Nobody saw this coming, and any claims otherwise is BS.

He dropped in the draft because he was a tweener who lacked prototypical TE size, just like Russell Wilson dropped because of size last year. Add to that the fact TE's only began going in the first couple of rounds in the draft after the success of the Patriots, and even with that a player like Dwayne Allen wasn't drafted till the 3rd round because he was just 6'3 255lbs. This character crap is just that crap. He smoked some weed and got in a fight with a bouncer, hardly screams murderer, actually screams college kid if you ask me.

I disagree. Hernandez dropped to where he did because of character concerns. Getting into fights, failing drug tests, and "hanging out with the wrong crowd" is not something that teams take lightly. We are talking about a billion dollar high-profile organization under a magnifying glass. It's not crap, and it's all documented to a certain degree if you look back.

This happens every year with a number of guys. Sometimes these guys pan out, and sometimes they justify the well-known misgivings teams have about them. Nobody wants to bring a player into the fold that may cause problems later on down the line, but some teams are willing to take risks on them after their value matches that risk...a gamble based on talent. These guys basically are kids, after all. Nobody is thinking murder.

The Bills picked up Da'Rick Rogers as an undrafted free agent this year, for example. The team admitted to having him as a late first round/early second round talent, but the guy was not even drafted because he failed some drug tests and violated team team rules, basically...lots of teams had his talent rated high. But literally half the league went after him in free agency.

Football may be a game, but running a billion dollar business is not.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back