PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien to be named Patriots quarterbacks coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
frankly if you have been following bb and the pats,you shouldnt be waiting and wondering after this.

Just because he likes to hire from with in and just becuase he slowly handed it over the course of a year to McDaniels does not mean that Bill O'Brien being promoted to QB coach means the same thing. I fully admit it is more than likely but it is also possible that Mangurian could be promoted to OC or something of the like. With out an actual announcement though it will be a few weeks maybe a month or so before we know for sure this is the plan. Right now I expect it is but have to wonder........

Just because he likes to hire from with in and just becuase he slowly handed it over the course of a year to McDaniels does not mean that Bill O'Brien being promoted to QB coach means the same thing. I fully admit it is more than likely but it is also possible that Mangurian could be promoted to OC or something of the like. With out an actual announcement though it will be a few weeks maybe a month or so before we know for sure this is the plan. Right now I expect it is but have to wonder........

WEEI did just say that O'Brien would have some input on the offensive play calling, if I heard it correctly over the fax that was coming in.

WEEI did just say that O'Brien would have some input on the offensive play calling, if I heard it correctly over the fax that was coming in.

I heard that too but is that the prevailing thought or is that coming from BB and/or the Pats.

Sheer genius those guys at EEI, I'd have never guessed an offensive assistant would have input on offensive play calling. :ugh:

Last edited:
Right, but I'm just saying that he's not a homegrown product with a direct lineage within the system (like Caserio, McDaniels, Mangini, Patricia, etc.)
Yes, but if you get really technical (yet exclude graduate assistant positions), only Caserio and McDaniels qualify as homegrown, both Mangini (OQC Baltimore, DQC NYJ) and Patricia (DL coach Amherst) had prior assistant coaching jobs.

Yes, but if you get really technical (yet exclude graduate assistant positions), only Caserio and McDaniels qualify as homegrown, both Mangini (OQC Baltimore, DQC NYJ) and Patricia (DL coach Amherst) had prior assistant coaching jobs.

Mangini started with BB in Cleveland. He stayed in bmore when bb was fired and the browns moved, then rejoined bb in new york.
Mangini is absolutely a BB protege with BB actually plucking him from their alma mater, Wesleyan.

I found the articles I was looking for on O'Brien:

Patriots assistant coach O'Brien relishes his days at Brown | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

[SIZE=+2]Patriots assistant coach O'Brien relishes his days at Brown
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]10:24 AM EDT on Monday, September 29, 2008

[/SIZE] Fortunately for O’Brien, new Tech coach Chan Gailey welcomed him back, as offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. Then it was two years at Maryland and two more at Duke before O’Brien got an offer from an e-mail buddy.

Bill Belichick.

“In 2001, when I was at Georgia Tech, we made contact through a mutual friend and just talked football,” O’Brien said. “After that I just kept in touch with him, maybe once or twice a year, send him an e-mail if I had a football question, and he would respond.”

Belichick would occasionally ask O’Brien about certain players in the ACC, to get his opinion on whether or not he thought they’d make good pro players.

“I definitely wanted to coach in the NFL at some point and I was always intrigued, watching the Patriots and how they did things, football-wise and Xs and Os wise, and how coach Belichick ran the team,” O’Brien said. “I always wanted to be a part of that, so when the opportunity arose it was something I didn’t give a second thought to. I just definitely wanted to be a part of it and learn from what I consider the best coaching staff, the best players in the league.”

O’Brien took a pay cut to come to New England last year, as a coaching assistant. But the move was a good one all around. He says he’s learned more about football in the last 18 months than he had in the previous 16 years, and he gets to be near family and friends again.

As well as the old story about him on the Pats' radar in 2002:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ier-move-caserio-obrien-page3.html#post808403

I agree, same process as took place w/McDaniels.

For sure ... it takes a year for them to learn to talk with the playcard in front of their face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back