PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien named OC ... and other coaching changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie Weis frustrated me senselessly in the early 2000's (thought he was brilliant in 03 & 04, though). I hated McDaniels in 05/06 when he started becoming the guy, then he helped orchestrate one of the best offenses ever. I'm not a big fan of O'Brien, but the rest of BB's O coordinators had to work hard to get me on their side, and ultimately found such a high level of success they moved on. Here's to hoping O'Brien can find the kind of success Weis and McDaniels did as their careers progressed under BB.

Charlie Weis frustrated me senselessly in the early 2000's (thought he was brilliant in 03 & 04, though)..

Putting it all in perspective, I think it's the reverse. Weis drew water out of a stone in 01 as the team put up almost 24 points a game with guys like Fred Coleman as the 3rd WR. The 03 offense was carried by the defense and the 04 offense put up 27 a game.

I hated McDaniels in 05/06 when he started becoming the guy, then he helped orchestrate one of the best offenses ever..

2005 running game was awful and the 06 WRs were brutal. Again, another situation in getting water from a stone.

I'm not a big fan of O'Brien, but the rest of BB's O coordinators had to work hard to get me on their side, and ultimately found such a high level of success they moved on. Here's to hoping O'Brien can find the kind of success Weis and McDaniels did as their careers progressed under BB.

BOB is close to JMcD. Not Weis.

Last edited:
Re: According to Reiss we have an offensive coordinator..coaching changes

Actually I think the Pats went 3 and out five times in that Super Bowl game including the last two drives where all they had to do is keep the Eagles off the field and they wouldn't have gotten close to having a chance to win. Two of the three Patriots' TD drives in that game were drives that started fairly deep on the Eagles' side of the field (the first one started on the Eagles' 38 and the other started on the Eagles' 28). Even the Vinatieri field goal was a drive started on the Eagles' 47. The Pats had only one scoring drive the entire game where they started on their side of the field (the NE 31). Yet, people remember that game as a genius gameplan by Weis.

The thing is, the Patriots had the game in hand.

We know from back then that Belichick preferred to take the air out of the ball and get conservative. At no point during that game was I genuinely worried about the Eagles. Now, the Panthers gave me a heart attack, but you saw the Patriots open up the offense and go wild against them.

O'Brien shouldn't be promoted he should be fired.
Interesting response to running the top offense in the league.

Interesting response to running the top offense in the league.
Its not knee jerk. Almost every week in the 09 season people were calling for him to be replaced. It seemed like he had three plays. Run, Run, Long bomb to Moss, at the end of the year even the most senior posters here were saying "we need a pass rush and a real OC". This year he was better, at least it seemed like it until he got into the playoffs, then it struck mid-night and he turned back into a pumpkin. He had no answer for what ryan was throwing at the pats defensively, and thats his job. He should have had an inkling that ryan would use his brother robs plan as a template, but he didn't. Maybe it was Bradys steller play that was behind the pats scoring so many points and not nessecarily BOB's play calling.

Last edited:

Its not knee jerk. Almost every week in the 09 season people were calling for him to be replaced. It seemed like he had three plays. Run, Run, Long bomb to Moss, at the end of the year even the most senior posters here were saying "we need a pass rush and a real OC". This year he was better, at least it seemed like it until he got into the playoffs, then it struck mid-night and he turned back into a pumpkin. He had no answer for what ryan was throwing at the pats defensively, and thats his job. He should have had an inckling that ryan would use his brother robs plan as a template, but he didn't.
So when we were a top 5 offense, the OC sucked and when we were the best offense in the NFL, we lost one, so it must be his fault?
He adapted enough to end up with 300 passing yards, and get back in the game. Thats a lot more than 'no answer'.
It must be nice to invent reasons for your criticism, but in fact, Rex Ryan did not duplicate Rob Ryans gameplan, he created a new game plan for this game.
All of you OCbashers want it both ways. Its stupid to not stick with what worked, but you shouldn't have stuck with it when it doesnt work.
Also, saying something for a long time does not make it any less wrong.

By the way, in 2009, how many of the approx 1000 plays we ran do you think were long passes to Moss? You seem to think 1 out of 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

So when we were a top 5 offense, the OC sucked and when we were the best offense in the NFL, we lost one, so it must be his fault?
I assume you watched tha play off game? Do i have to go back and dredge up the post game comments about how BOB didn't have a clue? You know ive been one of the biggest BB supporters, but something is wrong. It started in 07 with the SB and its continued since. I can't sit back and chug the kool aid any longer.

Last edited:

I assume you watched tha play off game? Do i have to go back and dredge up the post game comments about how BOB didn't have a clue? You know ive been one of the biggest BB supporters, but something is wrong. It started in 07 with the SB and its continued since. I can't sit back and chug the kool aid any longer.

"Something is wrong" started with the 18-1 season?
Followed into the Brady less season?
Whats wrong is we lost a game we should have won in 2007, lost the best QB in the NFL in 2008 and have been rebuilding for 2 years, and did not have the best team, therefore didnt win a SB.
Sure you can take the blame the OC approach, but you would be taking that no matter the facts.

"Something is wrong" started with the 18-1 season?
Followed into the Brady less season?
Whats wrong is we lost a game we should have won in 2007, lost the best QB in the NFL in 2008 and have been rebuilding for 2 years, and did not have the best team, therefore didnt win a SB.
Sure you can take the blame the OC approach, but you would be taking that no matter the facts.
I don't just blame the OC, this team has been unprepared the last three playoff game for what ever reason. Its not a fluke anymore its a pattern to lose in the playoffs 07, 09, '10. This team could go 14-2 again, but i won't have confidence (im saying this now but come next dec, if they are i will again think they'll win the SB) in them until they prove they can win again in the playoffs. Its great to watch them win all those regular season games, but ultimetly what do we really watch to see them win another SB. The Chargers annually win a lot of regular season games but crash in the playoffs, i don't want this team to be like the Chargers do you? When i read BOB was promoted i thought nothings changed the orginization thinks everythings alright, it was just one loss.

Last edited:

I don't just blame the OC, this team has been unprepared the last three playoff game for what ever reason. Its not a fluke anymore its a pattern to lose in the playoffs 07, 09, '10. This team could go 14-2 again, but i won't have faith (im saying this now but come next dec, if they are i will agin think they'll win the SB) in them until they prove they can win again in the playoffs. Its great to watch them win all those regular season games, but ultimetly what do we really want ...another SB. The Chargers annually win a lot of regular season games but crash in the playoffs, i don't want this team to be like the Chargers.
No one is happy about the playoff losses. No one wants them to have a good regular season and lose in the playoffs. But the fact that you state that doesnt make your opinion valid.
This season, we had the #1 scoring offense in the NFL. Last season we were (IIRC) 5th,and in 2007 we set the record.
I don't know how that adds up to fire the OC.
Losing a playoff game 28-21 is a case of allowing too many points to expect to win a playoff game, not scoring too few.

The thing is, the Patriots had the game in hand.

We know from back then that Belichick preferred to take the air out of the ball and get conservative. At no point during that game was I genuinely worried about the Eagles. Now, the Panthers gave me a heart attack, but you saw the Patriots open up the offense and go wild against them.

The game was in hand because of the defense, not the offense. It was the defense that gave the Pats great field position on three of the four scoring drives. It was the defense that intercepted McNabb in two of the last three drives (the Pats caused four turnovers on defense in that game). It was also the defense that tired out McNabb and his receivers causing him to throw up in the huddle and forced Pinkston to go back to the lockerroom for IVs.

BTW, getting conservative is not going three and out.

The Panthers gave us a heart attack because of the Pats' defense that fell apart especially with both Harrison and Wilson having game ending injuries.

Do you remember last year? Everyone wanted him run out on a rail. EVERYONE was saying we need a real OC. This year, in the regular season he did a lot better, but returned to his old self against the Jests in the playoffs. His play calling Stunck. Its as bad as my spelling.

Firing a guy over one bad game in a whole slew of them is about as ******ed as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes