Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bill O’reilly wants a public option!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Bill O’reilly: But you know, I want that, Ms. Owcharenko. I want that. I want, not for personally for me, but for working Americans, to have a option, that if they don’t like their health insurance, if it’s too expensive, they can’t afford it, if the government can cobble together a cheaper insurance policy that gives the same benefits, I see that as a plus for the folks.

we agree Billy, we agree....
  2. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Well if Bill says so I'm OK with that?:rolleyes:
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I would like to see the public option ... I don't really see any other way to effect the prices in a capitalistic economy.
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +368 / 3 / -15

I tried to tell Darryl the other day that O'Reilly isn't a far-right winger. In fact, he was once a democrat. I've heard him endorse several middle-left proposals...one of them being gay marriage.

No one on either side is inherently evil because of their political party. That's a fact, NOT an opinion.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's all gibberish until/unless you are able to get the increasing cost of healthcare to slow down. Until/unless that happens not of it matters because it won't be affordable.

Forget the "public option", the best thing we can do is make it truly competitive by removing the employer from the equation and letting the consumer buy exactly what he wants like with car insurance.
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

[size=+4]Who's "Bill O'Reilly"????? :confused2:[/size]

//
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +644 / 2 / -9

Listen closely to O'Reilly not only on health care, he is starting to go over the line with this middle of the road crap on many other issues if he goes to far it will be the end of his ride at the top, middle of the roaders can't be trusted.
    I would trust Keith Olderman before I would some slobbering a$s kissers like McCain/Lieberman, Olderman/Beck come from the same mold you know where they stand if you were in a fight you know you could count on them.

If O'Reilly gets to far into this "Bipartisan Sh!t" it's the beginning of the end for him as we know him.

"Bipartisan" we never heard that word much when The Chimp was around................:confused:
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

Just cuz someone else is paying your bill, it doesn't mean the actual costs are going to go down. The problem is the runaway cost of care. The gubmit paying for everyone does nothing to curb that. If anything, it will make it worse, since tens of millions more people will be thrust into the system, with other people paying the bill.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

How does removing the employer from the equation matter? If you remove the employer, then the worker will get screwed. The employer will just pocket the $12k he pays in insurance, and Joe Blow will be left in the cold. Removing a source of funding, of that magnitude, will absolutely result in gubmitcare, or a single payer system, since half the population would be without coverage.
  11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

One positive is it would make U.S. businesses far more competitive with other countries' which is needed.

The answer to your question, though, is we are all over insured. We don't need the (to use your number) $12K of employer insurance + another $4K or so the employer pays. I look at my insurance plan and I have no need for 95% of that crap. It's like insuring your car for oil changes. I could probably pay what I'm paying now for just catastrophic coverage and pay the rest as I see fit.

As I have said before, one of the, if the THE, biggest problems with health care costs is we don't pay them. How often would you replace your wind shield wipers if you only had to pay a $20 copay and, meanwhile, the garage charges the insurance $900 for the job ? It's crazy. The more we pay ourselves, the more they'll have to charge more reasonable prices for services.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

I don't disagree with the logic behind people paying themselves, and becoming more price conscious as a result. All things being equal, I think that makes perfect sense. The problem with using that logic inside the healthcare spectrum, is that it's impossible to know when something will go wrong, and when something does, the extent of the cost of the "repairs" is an absolute unknown. With a car for example, you know the limit of the cost, which is replacement. If you drive a 2002 Accord, and it needs X amount of work, you can scrap it and buy a new one, or more importantly, you won't die if you can't afford the repairs. When it comes to your health, the rules are different. A quad bypass cost my barber $115k. The ambulance ride to the hospital cost $1,600 (less than a mile IIRC). I know you point to having a lesser plan that covers catastrophic type ailments, but would that include a broken arm? A test for cancer? Blood work? I think the difference with healthcare is that most of the costs that come along, could mean life or death, or your overall well being, whereas with a car, you could always take the bus.