Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bill Cosby vs Reverand Wright

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, May 4, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23637306-401,00.html

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

They don't like Cosby
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

The Wrightwing fascination with Rev. Wright continues, why don't you everyday google news on Rev. Wright and just post the link to all the news stories it may prove easier..

As I said before your fascination with Obama, is getting close to he whose name shall not be mentioned fascination with GWB.. better be careful getting close to the edge. It is obvious how much you hate him..
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I'm going to seek some intervention on this ... it's almost #$@-like and that's scary. :scared:
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Talk is cheap. It's easy to say, "Take responsibility," and who would disagree with that? I think every liberal is for individual responsibility even more than conservatives, who often blame, gays, blacks, women, Muslims, immigrants, and anyone else they can think of for their many shortcomings. But, that said, "Take responsibility" is facile and chlildish as a solution. The problem is that some people don't or cannot take responsibility. What do you do with them? How do you get them to take responsibility? That's the question the righties seem to have no solution for, just mindless platitudes about how people should behave. The way the right is sucking up to Cosby simply shows how superficial their ability to reason is when it comes to reality.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

You just shake your head and feel bad for them. Whether black, white, male, female, whatever. As long as everyone has a legitimate chance, there's little more than needs to be done.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Like weswelker#83 does on the economy right ? OK, thanks. Good idea.
  8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

People cannot take responsibility ... why not?

You just demonstrated liberal elitist attitude. Everyone can take responsibility and those that don't are just plain lazy. Taking responsibility does not mean owning a house or having a great job. Taking responsibility simply means contributing to society as opposed to taking from it.

Excepting for senior citizens and mentally and physically handicapped people there are no excuses for taking responsibility.

What would someone like Vince Wilfork ... who has cared for his siblings since he was in high school say if he were to read your post? There are many out there like Vince and society is the better for them all.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

Grapes Of Wrath

Poor People That Liberals Don't Like To Talk About
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Depression, physical disability, lack of knowledge about how to do something, below average intelligence, trauma, dementia, phobias, lack of training, drug addictions, etc.

You're just being narrow-minded. As I just stated, there are many reasons why people have difficulty taking responsibility.

I listed some others above.

Vince is a gifted individual. He was either brought up or born with some advantages that allowed him to perform at a higher level than most of us. As I've pointed out before, people of all classes seldom break out of their class. Those who do, like Wilfork, are exceptions. Most of us here chances are were born middle class and remain middle class. We've done nothing exceptional.
  11. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

FDR Was a Liberal
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I thought this thread was about the average black American - none of those should apply on average.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

Compared to todays liberal he was a "Neo Con" his wife was way ahead of her time, she was a real Liberal.

Poor White Mans Song During Depression:
    It's only a shanty
    in old Shanty Town
    the roof is so slanty it touches the ground.
    But my tumbled down shack by an old railroad track,
    like a millionaire's mansion is calling me back.

It's hard for a real Far left Wing Liberal to admit but there HAVE BEEN AND STILL ARE plenty of poor, poverty sticken WHITEY's in America.

GRAPES OF WRATH.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Ah, so you think the average black American is irresponsible? I don't. I guess that's where we differ. I think we're talking about those black Americans who don't take responsibility, and most of them who don't fail for one of the reasons I mentioned. (It doesn't mean they are unaware of the toll made by discrimination and racism.)
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah...okay.
    What a cartoon.
    :rolleyes:
  16. Xzibit23

Xzibit23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cosby is right in the sense that african americans sometimes become stuck in the rut of playing the victim, and that prevents them from moving forward with what they have been given. The truth of the matter is that there's a lot of gray when it comes to the situation blacks find themselves in. There are some barriers still, but many have been broken and there's no denying that the black community has done a bad job of taking advantage of the progress that has been made. But lets make one thing clear..what Rev Wright says is what HE thinks, I get the impression from the OP that there is an attempt to conflate Wrights opinions with Obamas. Lets look at Obama's own words, and judge him on those merits:

From Obama's speech on race:

The part in bold is key, because he plainly states that blacks have all too often been so consumed with blaming others that they have yet to blame themselves for their own situation

But he also said the following:

The reason why the above part of his speech is important is because we need to understand why many blacks feel compelled to play the victim, because before changing something you have to understand where it comes from. So as he says, by simply calling blacks out for their own problems, without trying to understand where their problems come from...we're only making race a more divisive issue. Naturally blacks take offense and become defensive with that view point, and instead of changing for the better, more gasoline is thrown to the fire and, in their own eyes, the beliefs that America has held them back become legitimatized. So who wins in that scenario?? Also, the problem with what Cosby says, in all its truths, is that it gives those who want race to be a divisive issue a platform to argue their case, by saying a prominent African American agrees with us.

At the end of the day, like everything in life, our mistake is we end up seeing a complicated issue as race in black and white terms, no pun intended.