Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bill Clinton Pins the Financial Mess on the Democrats

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 25, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Well, well, well ... good old Bill Clinton telling it like it is ... telling it like a few us already have. The media is spinning this to hurt McCain and help the Joe'Bama team ... but Americans will figure it all out. No wonder the democrats are so happy to get this bill passed with the republicans still asking questions ... they know the truth hurts.

Here's the spin that will follow this post ... "He's just mad because Hillary :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Fox News Blames Democrats for Financial Crisis, Bill Clinton Agrees | NewsBusters.org

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Well he is correct in his assessment. ;)
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

The Clintons have been "back stabbed" and good, now old Billy Blue Dress is coming after them, one little thing at a time.
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

He's wearing a blue tie ... made from the dress ... spot included.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

SOMEONE Listened to Rush Limbaugh this morning.

I'm surprised you didn't use the term "Neutron Bomb"

This financial crisis is a LOT of people's fault.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

I've been saying that for 2 weeks now. Welcome aboard. ;)
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I've been listening to you. This whole thing is a lot to grasp, and a lot of peeps are at fault for forging the ideals of deregulation of many different kinds of markets, to passing the laws to allow it, to not seeing the warning signs, and to inact the policies.

However...this bailout is now ON the president and the congress. THEY will have to answer to me, and you and The USSA about this if indeed it doesn't work.

I hope they know that.
  8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

with their approval ratings so low ... I'm not sure they care. Nobody would be happier than me to see 1/2 of Congress tossed on their azzes ... they can start with Patrick Kennedy.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

with this bailout, you might get your wish.
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Can we start with Patrick Kennedy? :D
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

Man, you're getting old...you're starting to repeat yourself.:eek:

At least when I say the same thing over & over, I say it different ways:D

I don't have the heart to rofl
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

He said I might get my wish ... so I'm figuring which do I wish for. Congress getting turned 1/2 over or no more Patrick Kennedy. Kind of selfish ... but I choose no more :nono: Patrick Kennedy :nono: . :eat1:
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

When all is said and done, when all the facts are laid out as to the origins of this economic disaster, it will show that Democrat Party legislation, coupled with Dem stone-walling on sensible, time-tested initiatives, are the root causes of all today's woes.

Even CNN reported that the start of housing mortgage failure lays in the policies Bill Clinton and his Dem allies set into law in 1993-95 -- BEFORE the Republican Congress -- to drastically lower the standards for lending institutions to give money to people who had neither the proven track record nor the down-payment collateral to get such huge loans as the mortgages they were getting. There is zero doubt about that. These were the seeds that spawned the rapacious policies that Wall Street adopted thereafter.

Party hearty, home-boys/girls. Kanye West would sing at Obama's inauguration, with Snoop Dogg as "national poet".

//
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Even assuming what Clinton said is the complete story, this argument has two flaws:
    (1) Republicans ran Congress for much of the Clinton administraton
    (2) Republicans ran Congress and the White House for much of the Bush administration

They did not put in place regulations to tighten oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. FBN's link fails to provide any details about the nature of the impasse. What is it that the Democrats wanted that the Republicans refused to include? Why couldn't the Republicans get the bill passed in the Republican Senate, when it passed overwhelmingly in the House (from other info I found on the web)?

Republican Congress Talked About Financial Reform, But Did Nothing

But, this thread is another example of Republicans trying to avoid responsibility for their own and very substantial contributions to the current financial mess.
  15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

It's also the standard Bush administration playbook:

1) notice that all of history does not start and stop at the day in January when administrations change,

2) retroactively trace back the threads of your current problems to the 1990s (but never, ever, to the 1980s; there IS a wall at 1992);

3) Blame Clinton

4) In Clinton's case -- for his/Hillary's reasons -- blame the congressional dems of the 90s.

You guys can be forgiven for not seeing through this bullcrap approach in 2001, but it's 2008. How has Bush, his campaign clone McCain, and every other Republican behaved vis a vis regulation on the banking industry and mortgage lenders? The financial sector?

Who's the historical "great deregulator?" You know it's Reagan. You know the Republicans for 28 years have been trying to "get government out of the way of the market."

Even in the scripted events that McCain is trying to manufacture his "white knight moment" out of bear this out. House Republicans want to attach deregulation and tax cuts to the damn agreement. Except they know they're grandstanding, and you and I know McCain is grandstanding.

Blaming Democrats in the 92-2000 period for this is like blaming the Clinton Administration or the congress of that period for having high gas prices today (they did nothing to convert the US to solar energy! New Republican talking point!)

If the entirety of the deregulation, fraud, and malfeasance that led to our current state of affairs was in place in the 1990s, how is it that nobody took advantage of it until the 2000s? Why no housing bubble then?

Face it, this is a dead end argument. It's another Bush failure. We know the playbook. Blame Clinton (or in Clinton's case, blame the congresses for the 90s) for the problems of today.

What the hell is George II's reign supposed to be anyway? Wasn't he supposed to be in charge? What about his six years of Republican congresses?

Real convincing, guys.

PFnV
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Oh, so now all the Dems say: [size=+2] Clinton lied???[/size] :rofl:

Where were you guys in 1997-99??

Please, have some integrity.

//
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Of couse Patters as you well know nothing gets out of the Senate get out without 60 votes, the pubbies never had 60 votes, as Clinton points out dems blocked all reform efforts.

This mess is squarly on the dems.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

The legislation passed in 1999, did it not? To have a problem with subprime lending, two things have to happen. First off, the 3 years of interest only have to pass, AND, the availability of equity, from a rising housing market, has to cease to exist. Now, do the math, and think about how long each of these would take to come to a boiling point, and you get the mess we're in right now. What were housing prices like in 1999, where were they when the problem arose, and what year was that? Nothing is instantaneous.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Another point I'd like to add is how this was deregulation, with added regulations. When you change rules and regs, but require Fannie & Freddie to provide mortgages to groups that fit a certain criteria, you are actually instituting a type of regulatory process.
  20. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Righhhhhht, it's more likely that legislation in the 90s led to the excesses of this decade, than.... oh, I dunno, POLICY FROM THIS DECADE??? Like a little something Bush called "The Ownership Society," from 8/04, talking about policies he first emphasized in 2002?

Fact Sheet: America's Ownership Society: Expanding Opportunities

If this looks glowingly like something that satisfies all sides, consider that it was written by the polished pros themselves, the White House PR staff.

The fact is that the wacko flavors of loans underlying alllll that bad paper weren't around in the 90s. There was no bubble in the 90s, and there would have been, had the same policies been in place.

This "Bush's problems started with Clinton" script is such old hat that there is no chance it will convince anybody but the usual Drudge addicts.

Oh and by the way, "Clinton slips in that congressional dems had a hand in this in the 90s" is very different from "Clinton says it's all congressional democrats' fault."

But yeah, he and Hillary have their own agenda, I think that's pretty transparent too.

PFnV