PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Burt: One source says lockout is over

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some degree of truth in what Burt is reporting. I wouldn't be surprised if the groundwork has been laid to actually end the silliness. But I'd be surprised if they're there yet. Unfortunately Burt's MO is to try to be "edgy" and have an angle and spin these beyond what they are, even when facts don't support it. Didn't he have some sort of "exclusive" on Shaq and the playoffs that wasn't accurate?

alright, everyone cross yours fingers for the next few days. And don't uncross them until there's any good news substantiating this claim.

Maybe they did reach an agreement and their turning this into a positive publicity stunt :D.

Still, there seems to be more optimism of late than doom and gloom. I'm still waiting...

I hear Bill Burt's source was Larry "Bud" Melman.

A point that should be made is that the owners CAN lift the lockout BEFORE they finalize a CBA. The just need to have "an agreement in principle".

The sad fact is that we live in a society run by lawyers. We all know that the ONLY real issue that was EVER in play is the "how much issue". Once they agree to the percentage that will work for both owners and players, the rest is really about 2 more weeks of billable hours, turning what will probably be a 3 page document with all the agreed to particulars into a 5 INCH document that only another lawyer will be able to decipher.

There would be no need to continue the lock out while this document is being prepared. So while Bob Kraft correctly said that it could be a while before we have a finalized CBA. the end of the lockout itself COULD happen much faster.
":

I assume he is not very credible?? Not familiar w/ him.

No, hes out there as you can see from other posts. Once he was hosting on weei and instead of giving out weei's number for callers to call in, he gave out his home number.

They story has been updated again, about 5 minutes ago, and they took even more out of it. The story will be nothing but a comma and a period by 7:30.

Ha ha.

The sad state of journalism. Get it first! Get it wrong!

THIS JUST IN!!!....

WATER COULD BE WET!!

...thanks for coming...try the veal...

No, hes out there as you can see from other posts. Once he was hosting on weei and instead of giving out weei's number for callers to call in, he gave out his home number.

Still not as dumb as the incident I referenced where he wrote a whole article blasting Jerome Bettis for disrespecting the Patriots by going on David Letterman and predicting the Steelers would win the Super Bowl just days before the Pats and Steelers met for the AFC Championship not realizing it was a repeat. That had to go down as one of the dumbest things in sports journalism history. I guess Letterman's topical references to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky in his monologue wasn't a dead give away to Burt.

Last edited:
Still not as dumb as the incident I referenced where he wrote a whole article blasting Jerome Bettis for disrespecting the Patriots by going on David Letterman and predicting the Steelers would win the Super Bowl just days before the Pats and Steelers met for the AFC Championship not realizing it was a repeat. That had to go down as one of the dumbest things in sports journalism history. I guess Letterman's topical references to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky in his monologue wasn't a dead give away to Burt.

must admit, he doesn't sound too bright.

must admit, he doesn't sound too bright.

That certainly sounds very true, lol. Not too bright, hopefully he's on to something here though. I must say, judging by the NFL's statement re: Yogi Bera etc "It's not over 'til it's over," that sounds to me like they're getting somewhere. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the use of some humor never seems to hurt the cause. Of course the NFLPA came back with "Ummm....NO," so they had to go and deflate any optimism that I had.

I can't even believe that Rob. That is amazing. What a buffoon moment.

The article did not make the print edition today and is now hidden on the site. It is still there but hidden under "more breaking news stories". So much for Bill Burt.

Where there is smoke there is fire
My interpretation of the "lockout is over" - they've made enough progress on the big issues and have developed enough trust between the 2 camps that there will be training camp and there will be a full season.
I really don't think Bill Burt does a story like this unless he's talked to someone in a position to know where these two sides are at.

Last edited:

That is brilliant :D

'Hi, I got a question for Burt'

'Sorry, he's at work right now' :D

No argument from me. Weei used to poke fun at him all the time, even had a little skit with a guy with a Burt voice acting like a dumbass. He was always a good sport about it though, seems to be a good guy, just not one of the better writers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back