PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Burt implores the Patriots to sign Vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Usually Burt of the Eagle Tribune is a pretty good writer but I think of him imporing this team to sign Vick as a bit drastic and desperate.

Personally I think Vick will come back in the league but NOT as a QB and likely NOT here,but Bill Burt apparently wants him badly as a Patriot.

Get Vick - EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Dumb idea. Unless you think he could be a WR.

some of that column is just beyond stupid:

"There will be a public relations hit here. And we know owner Bob Kraft's obsession with public relations. But there were similar rants when both Dillon and Moss came aboard."

Similar? Really? Did they just come of of time in Federal prison? Now I know Randy and Corey had issues with their crappy teams and some off-the-field stuff, but NOTHING like Michael Vick.

The only thing I find at all similar to the possibility of signing Vick and the controversy that would ensue is back when it came out that our draft pick 10 years or so ago raped somebody in college. We cut him real quick. If we hadn't, that might compare in a small way (10%) to the uproar of signing Vick.

No way on Vick. Unless Bill says so, then I'm all onboard. ;)

The other FAIL in the article is the idea that Vick would actually act as a backup in case Brady got hurt.

Apparently Mr. Burt does not understand that the reason why the Pats kept Cassel as the backup was that he could run the same offense as Brady. By the second Miami game, if you couldn't see the numbers, you could barely tell the difference.

O'Connell should be more or less the same, but I can't see Vick running this offense. As someone said, Vick is a RB who throws, not a QB who runs.

who is this clown bill burt? i know 5th graders who write better pieces than this.

Seriously, why do the Pats need Vick? Do people really want to take Brady off the field to run the wildcat? You do that when Chad Pennington is your QB, not Tom Freakin' Brady.

The wildcat is a gimmick play that already showed signs of being ineffective by the end of the season. The Pats shut it down in their second meeting with the Dolphins. My guess is that it will be passe by the end of the 2009 season the Dolphins will be kicking themselves for drafting Pat White in the second round.

I don't think Vick is a good fit because I don't think he is an intelligent person nor can he read defenses. His first instinct is to take off when the pressure comes and as many times it turns into positive plays, that style of play turns into negative ones. I can't see Belichick taking Vick for him to be on the field at max 5-6 times and many games not at all.

I can easily make a strong argument why not to get Vick even without mentioning his off the field problems. No matter what Moss' off the field problems were, he was a talented smart player who runs percise routes and fits in the Pats' system.

Last edited:
That's why Bill Burt writes for a backwater paper in a backwater community.

That's why Bill Burt writes for a backwater paper in a backwater community.

Wasn't Bill Burt the one who wrote an article based on Jerome Bettis being on a repeat of the Letterman show that Burt thought was live?

i read somwhere yesterday that the Bills would be a good fit for him and i agree. what do they have to lose.

Bill Burt is always coming up with stupid thoughts and stupid ideas...writers want controversy and drama where they can sit on their lazy behinds and actually have to learn, undesrtand and work..another baseball writer...who knows zilch about football..

How old is Vick now? Nobody seems to be considering that Vick hasn't seen the field since December of 2006. He's got 2 years on those legs and no football to speak of in that time. We don't even know if the dude can run like he used to. Not to mention that we have no clue if Goodell will even let him play.

This whole Vick hoopla is absurd. It is just futher proof that people never learn.

who is this clown bill burt? i know 5th graders who write better pieces than this.

He is a sports journalist and his opinion should be taken seriously by you so-called internet "experts."

He could be the spokesperson for the MSPCA (Massachusetts

Society Prevention Cruelty Animals).

Bill Burt is what passes as a local sports writer for the Lawrence Eagle Tribune. The same rag that ran off Russ Conway, the guy responsible for busting the Alan Eagleson scandal in the NHL...

By the second Miami game, if you couldn't see the numbers, you could barely tell the difference.

I liked Cassel a lot, but I think that that's a bit of an overstatement ;)

I'd be really interested in him as a kick returner, as well as 1-2 gadget plays a game. That's about the limit of his value on the NEP. I don't think he would be a fit at QB at all.

oh god, another john clayton. who the hell he thinks NE will sign Vick. So much crap... (yawns) wake me up when september comes.

Even if you disregard all the other baggage, there is still one other problem with QB Mike Vick.

He can't pass to save his *****. Throwing for 130 yards a game doesn't cut it high school ball, and certainly not in the NFL.:nono::nono:

Burt is a baseball writer who rides a scooter to work and wears a helmet. After listening to WEEI's rants on him, I don't see how anyone could take him seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes