PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick to receive fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
There shouldn't be a fine. Belichick did what he should have done to get the ref's attention, the ref had no business running off of the field without explaining their decision to end the game without review.

A multi billion dollar business is now fully in the hands of people who are completely incompetent, it's a disgrace and the NFL office and owners are completely responsible for the situation. If they decided to go this route they should have fired all the ref's after the Super Bowl and hired and trained their replacements long ago. Kraft should reimburse Belichick fully for any fine.

As far as the refs go I disagree with their position, part time employees should not get pensions and the league should go to full time refs as soon as possible.

There's a rule that says you cannot touch the referee full stop. The referee could flag you in a game for simply putting your hand on his shoulder if you're getting on his nerves.

So to suggest he shouldn't be fined is ridiculous. Given the nature of the situation and the fact he grabbed him from behind, he's lucky he isn't getting banned.

Yep. The ref's should never be allowed to just run off after any game, they have a responsibility to the teams to make sure that they know that the game is officially over, and in that instance that was in question.

I'm pretty sure they made it aware the game was over...or were you watching their every move? :rolleyes:

Usually when the clock hits zero after a game winning FG and the ref goes off without throwing a flag you should know the game is over.

It's not even comparable to the Packers situation where there was still a PAT to be played.

Last edited:
How come Ed Reed hasn't been fined for the two hits?

WTF? No fine for Harbaugh for touching a ref but a fine for Belichick for touching one in the same game?

I believe this is because the Harbaugh debacle wasn't caught on camera from what I heard.

Last edited:
Bedard made a good point about this today on D&C. He was saying that this might be the last week the owners will give the refs to get anything done. After this they will just hold out until after Thanksgiving, fire the regular refs and then hire Div I and others to replace current replacements that aren't up to snuff. Hopefully they can come to agreement this week and avoid this mess.

They should do this (bring up the D-1 refs) and have them bring their pass interference rule with them.

WTF? No fine for Harbaugh for touching a ref but a fine for Belichick for touching one in the same game?

I see the NFL is continuing with the same inconsistent theme of lopsided calls from Sunday Nights game.

Calls and no-calls.

Even if you think that field goal was good, you cannot deny that it was close enough to be reviewable.

Putting a hand on someone's elbow is not intimidation. Its the universal sign for please let me talk to you.

A potentially wrong call cost his team the game. What is more, he had EVERY right to at least ask about the potential of a review. In fact it was his DUTY as a head coach.

The ref was running away from Belichick and ignoring him. I'm sorry, putting a hand on his elbow from behind to get his attention was not inappropriate to the situation.

That said, I realize its against the rules to touch a ref. The fine had just better be proportional to the situation.

Whats the answer to this issue? Would BB having some big bear beside him who can run fast and get in front of the referee and block his path until BB can catch up and get in front of him and ask the question work? :D

Whats the answer to this issue? Would BB having some big bear beside him who can run fast and get in front of the referee and block his path until BB can catch up and get in front of him and ask the question work? :D

I don't know if you meant this metaphorically, but it would be #@%@#%ing awesome if it were literal. :)

Well, of course; Harbaugh's a nice guy. And did you see the way he smiles?

:rolleyes:

His choppers kind of remind me of Max Headroom!

I think the ref should be fined for not giving BB the time of day after the game.

Indeed, did the guy have a bad case of the squirts or something? Was he about to miss his plane? Early dinner date? WTF, man, do your stinking job!

I don't know if you meant this metaphorically, but it would be #@%@#%ing awesome if it were literal. :)

Great job for Wilfork when he retires, hopefully many years from now!

Bill Belichick fined $50K, its official

as per CBS Sports, Bill got gined 50k

$50k, per 98.5

Pats fans should mobilize and pay the fine delivered right to Goodell's office on Park Avenue.....in rolls of pennies....

Meh, BB (rightfully) wasn't suspended and the league whacked the non contact offenses pretty hard so this isn't really surprising. Granted BB didn't club a baby seal on the 50 yd line but he deliberately made physical contact regardless of the severity or lack thereof, I can understand the league wanting to have a zero tolerance response.

Too bad that level of professionalism hasn't applied to who they have officiating the game.

It's a pretty big swift kick in the nuts IMO,

It looked like the kicker whiffed the field goal from his vantage point and many others, he simply wanted to know if it was being reviewed and needed some end game clarification. That's the least the official could offer him at the end of a heart felt loss, it was rude just walk by and shrug him off as if he had no right to know what's going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back