Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bill Belichick on Peppers

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JDSal45, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDSal45

JDSal45 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Here is Bill Belichick talking about Julius Peppers before the Pats played them in 2005:
    Belichick Press Conference

And here are some quotes before the Super Bowl vs. Carolina:
    Bill Belichick Press Conf. Transcript - 1/19/2004

J D Sal
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. muslimman

muslimman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So BB places Moss and Peppers in the same freakishly good category. We already went out and got Moss... see where Im going with this? :D

I think the chances of Peppers coming here is increasing the more time passes.
  3. BradyFixesEverything

BradyFixesEverything Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, since you took most of my post from the "BB interest in Peppers a ruse?" thread, I might as well put the other interesting quotes he had on him:

So yeah, not only does he compare him to Randy Moss, but he makes comparisons to Lawrence Taylor as well. Even though Belichick pimps every team in his pressers, he doesn't go all out like he did on Peppers with everybody. Nice quotes pre-superbowl though, JDSal45.
  4. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

OK, so BB likes him, but once again how can we afford him?
  5. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

By restructuring existing deals. Teams find a way, this one ertainly will. I don't think it'll be that tough to do.
  6. okterrific

okterrific Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another interesting anecdote I was reminded of yesterday:

A couple years ago, I think it was on Felger's show, he played audio of Belichick mic'ed up at the Pro Bowl (the one he coached). It was at one of the practices, and Belichick was talking to Brad Seely. Belichick said something about punting or whatever, and Seely goes "I'm hoping we're not punting."

Belichick responded, in all seriousness, "Well we're gonna have (Matt) Light blockin' Peppers, so."

Pretty funny.
  7. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

everything the pats have in terms of commitment is relatively short term........sure there are guys that need to be brought back after this season, but there is plenty of money available.......

as for this year, they can create some space with an extension to seymour

fact is, the future salary cap situation is a very sound on for this team....

but.........something tells me this is all smoke although it is not beyond the realm of possibility for the pats to pull this off as well as trading the 23,47,58 for the 3 if aaron curry is there
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Under an expiring CBA, you'd be surprised... They'd need to free up quite a bit too since constructing new deals under an expiring CBA is equally dicey and you can no longer avail yourself of that minimal first year cap hit.

Someone whould start a thread here on Belichick comments on every other elite player in the NFL... Why we haven't pryed Ed Reed out of Baltimore yet is beyond me...
  9. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Moss was essentially free. Peppers isn't.

That makes a big difference.
  10. N.Eman

N.Eman Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

When peppers signs the Franchise tag tender, then we'll see if he gets traded or not. But we do have the picks to offer carolina for him if this goes down. So my guess is it'll be way after the Owner's meeting when this goes down. Possibly on draft day. Im putting my hope on that. If it doesnt happen, well at least we got the jets fans forum freaking out!!
  11. RoughingthePasser

RoughingthePasser Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

12. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Plenty of money? :eek:

Seymour extended? :eek: Not at a price we'll be able to afford.

OK, sure, they could extend a couple guys, maybe even cut a couple, but we're talking about alot of money to sign peppers. We don't have much left in the cookie jar as it is, and we still have alot of picks in the draft. Spare me the, "BB will trade some picks for next year", and "next year will be uncapped" crap. It's all speculation. Anything could happen. Just keep in mind, that if next year is capped (which i believe it will be) , we will NOT be in as good a cap shape as you think. We have alot of people we need to resign, including a certain QB who is due a raise. ;)
  13. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

His pay grade is a legit concern, but I'm not sure why so many insist on perpetuating a false myth that Peppers is a bad fit at OLB because he can't set the edge or because he can't cover despite Belichick's comments. I'd take the guy in a heartbeat and am holding out hope the Pats brass will figure something out and trade for the guy.

Some more fuel to the fire:

14. BlitzFritz

BlitzFritz Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Nice post. What i take away from this is that BB views Peppers in almost a Lawrence Taylor category. (drool) He might be worth BIG money to Bill then. He might be the real deal, game changer, the next LT.

Lets also realize that the Pats look like they are going to be willing to spend some serious $$ next year in an uncapped scenario. And why not? They can compete with the other big market teams.

So structuring a deal for Peppers that works this year and gets us all to next year might be possible, if he is willing to play for $8-10M per year in a 4-5 year deal.

Just guessing, and hoping!! :D

-- FRITZ
  15. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +950 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Good post but the death null, unfortunately, came when Schefter said he was 99% sure Peppers was not coming here. That guy probably has never even so much as carried a jock strap in his life, but I fully trust his knowledge on personnel moves.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.