Bill Belichick on Hidden Yardage

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
In coming to my own viewpoint on Adam Vinatieri I am stuck between does Belichick really not want him anymore or wants him at the best price.

Belichick has a way of showing respect to players by giving them their full freedom to move on. In Vinatieri's case, he may be so anguished over it he may make it appear to be a price thing when really he just wants to move on.

Anyways...whichever it is...you can bet the value of Adam per Belichick is mostly about the "Hidden Yardage" ...and on a team that has had noticable problems on special teams...that Hidden Yardage loss is magnified.

http://originwww.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=GeneralNewsDetail&id=19228&type=general&PID=3999&PCID=41

About 70% of the way down:

Do you apply the hidden yards philosophy, and how it applies to a certain number of points?
BB: Yeah, well I think that a lot those, what I would call hidden yardage comes from penalties, comes from return yardage. Whether it be fumble returns, interception returns, and that kind of thing. Field position swings, and that punting differential, and penalty yards. That hidden yardage is very important, and statistically about 100 yards of hidden yardage is worth seven points, on some of the studies that have been done. Therefore, 50 yards is basically a field goal, so statistically that’s the way it is. Each game those plays and that yardage sometimes tells a little bit different story, but over the long haul, if you’re penalized 100 yards more than your opponent, or 50 yards more than your opponent and won the game some where along the line there are going to be some plays that are costly, and that you’re going to pay for, and whether we can cover that or not is dependent on other variables.

Just some food for thought (discussion) after all "It is what it is" :rolleyes:

Another one concerning Keyshawn Johnson, just for fun,2nd Question.
http://originwww.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=GeneralNewsDetail&id=5908&type=general&PID=5342&PCID=41

Last edited:
BB has tried to be the kind of coach that understands his players, but keeps his relationship player/coach. I think with the success he has had with these guys, Tommy, Tedy, Vrabes and Adam in particular this line has become a little fuzzy. I think it is hard not to get close to the people that are responsible for your success. I suppose it is possible that BB is having a hard time deciding between loyalty to Adam and wanting to improve his ST unit, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back