PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maro

5 pages into this thread and still none of the Maroney supporters are willing to say they'd want him re-signed at starter-level money when his contract runs out soon.

Fine, just like every vet. I'd like Moroney back as long as its at a reasonable price. Hows that'l

Re: Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maro

5 pages into this thread and still none of the Maroney supporters are willing to say they'd want him re-signed at starter-level money when his contract runs out soon.

That's not saying much for a team that underpays the best QB in the game. Everybody wants a lot for a little. You pay a pretty good player OK, but not great money.

Maroney had negative yardage on <10% of carries. I'm the one who performed the analysis that maverick is talking about, and I have no idea where he got 20%. The other RBs were noticeably better, but not by nearly that large a margin, and that's definitely not at all true so far this year.

And also, I'd be totally fine with Maroney being re-signed at the salary of a starter in a 3-back rotation. Of course you don't pay him as a 25-carry-per-game back, because no RB will ever get 25 carries per game in this offense.

Last edited:

I wouldn't bat an eye if the Pats signed Maroney to Fred Taylor's contract.

You'd think after drawing that for years Munroe would have learned how to draw by now.

Though I guess that didn't help Gary Larson either.

Now, now.... Let's leave Gary alone. Some binkies must be left unassaulted. :D

I hate the usage of the term 'supporters' ,I think we 'support' all the players on the team and want them to be the best in the NFL.

I believe the correct terminology would be Maroney 'Believers' and Maroney 'Doubters' - About half in here 'believe' he is going to be an asset in the rushing game and some of us 'doubt' it

Last edited:

Of course no one would say that, because it isn't going to happen. No one in the NFL will sign Maroney for starter money, including the Patriots, and there's no indication that Maroney will even ask for that kind of contract anyway. So what's your point?

He's been one back in a multi-back system. If he comes back to the Pats, it's not going to be for starter money. Any fool could tell you that.

goalposts.gif

I hate the usage of the term 'supporters' ,I think we 'support' all the players on the team and want them to be the best in the NFL.

I believe the correct terminology would be Maroney 'Believers' and Maroney 'Doubters' - About half in here 'believe' he is going to be an asset in the rushing game and some of us 'doubt' it

Please don't insult "doubters" by pretending to be in that category.

Yeah,Many of us wanted Steven Jackson but we ended up getting a player more like Michael Jackson - Maroney loves to do the moonwalk behind the LOS and his impersonation of Michael's famous dance routine is pretty good,In fact they named the Michael Jackson song 'I'm Bad' after Maroney

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/284947-trade-rumor-steven-jackson-pats-merged.html#post1551241

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/282799-maroney-running-behind-pass-protection-offensive-line.html#post1551322

Maroney will only succeed as a 1,300 yard rusher when defenses decide to forget the run and play a 2 4 5 formation

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/282799-maroney-running-behind-pass-protection-offensive-line.html#post1551106

If we have already suffered through 3 years of close to nothing productive as the main running back we can suffer through another season of it.

If BB keeps him after another ho hum year (which most of us expect) I will have to start pulling my hair out and ask ...why?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/280799-gasper-maroney-out-make-up-ground-page2.html#post1542018

I really hope we dont see the ball in the worthless hands of Lawrence 'NFL bust dancin' Maroney

Time for Faulk and Morris to step up and BJGE to become a factor as well...let Maroney in only when we are up by 20 or keep him in on short out passes where he does not have to touch any defender,thats all he is good for from what I see

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/280790-taylor-could-gone-awhile-reiss.html#post1540780

Maroney sucks,has sucked and will suck as long as he dances in the backfield and remains inconsistent and unreliable...Even the announcers were mentioning the dancing and says he won't get anywhere with the ballet behind the LOS...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/279107-gasper-maroney-ready-run-hard-page3.html#post1536558

That's a lot more negative than just doubting, and that's just some of the attack posts (not even all of them) from this month alone.

Last edited:

I will say it again,There is Believers and Doubters,believers are positive he will succeed and doubters are negative and think he won't...thats the bottom line no matter how much irrelevent time you take to try and dig posters quotes...
Do you really have so much concern and time on your hands to go back and do this and for no result other than the obvious of what my meaning was and changes nothing...wow....just wow,Thats pretty damn sad Deus,don't you think?

Last edited:

Also, I just ran the numbers for so far in 2009, and I haven't checked them yet so take them with a grain of salt if you want, but this is what I came up with:

PERCENTAGE OF CARRIES FOR A GAIN, BY RB:
Taylor: 95.5%
Maroney: 88.5%
Morris: 76.6%
BJGE: 73.3%

Small sample size, so I dunno if it's even particularly relevant, but someone else brought it up, so might as well give the actual numbers I guess. If you guys want, I'll keep a running update of this throughout the season, simply in hopes that it will finally shut down this stupid misconception.

BTW, if you really want to blow up this whole "Maroney is a home run RB who doesn't get consistent yards" nonsense, his career success rate irrefutably proves that that's a made up fairytale of an argument. Unfortunately, the people who are convinced that Maroney sucks have outright stated that silly things like facts won't sway them, so don't expect a moment of clarity from any of them.

Last edited:

We can just stop at you have no clue what you are talking about and leave it at that, I actually thought he had a pretty good game, but based on that game, I thought BB's comments were anything but flattering.

You should look in the mirror before saying someone else doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Its clear that you don't understand plain english if you think that what BB said about Maroney "wasn't flattering."

BB has NEVER been effusive about a player DURING THE SEASON. He'll say "So and so did a good job." and that's the extent of it.

BB had glowing words about Monte Beisel,Duane Starks,Chad Jackson...shall I go on?....This is a real dumb thread

I bet Belichick could go on the Big Show and try to sell swampland in Massachusetts and some of you would buy it

Please provide the quotes that BB said DURING THE SEASON about those players.. Pre-season is a totally different animal.

What BB does not explain is why Morris and Taylor when in the near exact same situation like Maorney seem to grind out yards more effectively with the same OL than 39 does

Different plays were being called. That was obvious. And the inconsistency of the O-line. How many times does this have to be mentioned before people like yourself will start to believe it?

What BB does not explain is why Morris and Taylor when in the near exact same situation like Maorney seem to grind out yards more effectively with the same OL than 39 does

By what standard? Because I can tell you near-certainty that Morris did not, by any conceivable measure, "grind out yard more effectively with the same OL than 39 does". Tell me what you're using as your standard for that, because as it is I'm just about 100% sure that you made that up.

I will say it again,There is Believers and Doubters,believers are positive he will succeed and doubters are negative and think he won't...thats the bottom line no matter how much irrelevent time you take to try and dig posters quotes...
Do you really have so much concern and time on your hands to go back and do this and for no result other than the obvious of what my meaning was and changes nothing...wow....just wow,Thats pretty damn sad Deus,don't you think?

No, what I think is pretty sad is your need to insult Maroney at every possible turn, given that he's the starting running back for the team you claim to be a fan of, he's been a productive runner when healthy, and he's not had any notable off-the-field trouble.

Frankly, I find that repugnant.

Please provide the quotes that BB said DURING THE SEASON about those players.. Pre-season is a totally different animal.

There is more debate about Maroney than any player by far in 2009 so BB simply makes a rare mid season statement about one certain player and says that he likes the way Maroney is playing to shut people up about those wondering how he really feels - He was never going to say he was dissapointed,even if he was.

No one but Bill and God can read into his mind of what he REALLY thinks....certainly no one in here is capable of applying psychology for his statements to the media and the validity behind it..if there is any.

Belichick compared Faulk's running situations with Maroney's:

But, again, maybe Bill's lying...

That's pretty much BB saying Maroney is fine, we simply have to block better.

And a reaffirmation of the arguments BradyFTW, you, myself, and others have been trying to make here. But watch, I bet it won't change anyone's mind.

No, what I think is pretty sad is your need to insult Maroney at every possible turn, given that he's the starting running back for the team you claim to be a fan of, he's been a productive runner when healthy, and he's not had any notable off-the-field trouble.

Frankly, I find that repugnant.

He is the starting RB on this team due to lack of depth - Prior to injury, Taylor and Morris were riding the opening carries,Morris was the featured back until he was injured against Tenn..

Do you really think Maroney would retain the starting position if Taylor were not injured?

Taylor was going to be THE MAN to carry the load had he stayed away from the injury bug...take away your best back and leave you with 2nd and 3rd...take away Morris and who else is there left? -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots