PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maro

I agree, whats he going to say, boy Maroney sucks? Or boy we would be undefeated if Maroney didn't dance around behind the line? I have never heard him say anything like that, even when he is about to cut a player. He might rip a group, like say the offensive line, or special teams, but never a single player.

Again, he just would not have said anything about the O-Line's run blocking deficiencies if he wanted to "single Maroney out" without really singling him out. The "Maroney sucks" crowd is once again grasping at straws. But what else is new?

Re: Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maro

The "Maroney sucks" crowd is once again grasping at straws.

The people grasping at straws are individuals, like yourself, who keep insisting/spinning that Belichick just gave a 'glowing', strong defense of Laurence Maroney.

You keep ignoring:
1. That in our offense a routine pass play gives just as many yards as a home run RB can occasionally give. We need a consistent 3.5 ypc back, not a home run back. Maroney isn't a good fit for the offense.
2. You keep refusing to comment on whether you think Maroney is worth re-signing at starter-level RB money when his contract is up soon. I'd wager that the vast majority would be against it.

Even the strongest Maroney supporters can't put up strong arguments on these two points, because there aren't any.

Again, he just would not have said anything about the O-Line's run blocking deficiencies if he wanted to "single Maroney out" without really singling him out. The "Maroney sucks" crowd is once again grasping at straws. But what else is new?

We can just stop at you have no clue what you are talking about and leave it at that, I actually thought he had a pretty good game, but based on that game, I thought BB's comments were anything but flattering.

BB had glowing words about Monte Beisel,Duane Starks,Chad Jackson...shall I go on?....This is a real dumb thread

I bet Belichick could go on the Big Show and try to sell swampland in Massachusetts and some of you would buy it

“Well, every player can improve, but Laurence has done a pretty good job running the ball for us,” Belichick said. “I really don’t have a lot of problems with Laurence. What I’d like to see is for us to open bigger holes to create some space for these guys and allow them to run. … He can do a better job, but we can block better, and hopefully design more plays to get some space and get some yards.”

Guess I can call an "Expert Witness" the next time I defend Maroney out here...

When BB has to come on and explain why one of his players sucked last week it is never a good thing.

The people grasping at straws are individuals, like yourself, who keep insisting/spinning that Belichick just gave a 'glowing', strong defense of Laurence Maroney.

That's about as glowing as BB gets. You're again grasping at straws with cherry picking your definition of "glowing". So, since you seem to think that he's offered up much more glowing plays of other running backs on the team since he's been coach (or just other players in general) to the point where he's gushing at them, please feel free to post the quotes with links.

You keep ignoring:
1. That in our offense a routine pass play gives just as many yards as a home run RB can occasionally give. We need a consistent 3.5 ypc back, not a home run back. Maroney isn't a good fit for the offense.

Maroney's YPC average for this year: 4.3
Maroney's YPC average for 2007: 4.5
Maroney's YPC average for 2006: 4.3

Laurence Maroney

You really destroyed your own argument on that one. But anyway, the Patriots have (had) two running backs on the roster that were "pound it between the tackles" backs in Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris. However, both of them are now hurt. But, for comparison's sake, let's post their YPC averages for this year as well and see where Maroney grades out among the other two...

Fred Taylor: 4.5
Fred Taylor

Sammy Morris: 3.6
Sammy Morris

According to these stats, the "pound it between the tackles machine who never gets stopped for negative yardage" Fred Taylor (who is also my boy) is only .2 YPC ahead of Maroney and Sammy Morris is under 4.0 YPC.

Here's another fun fact - Maroney has only had a YPC average under 4.0 once in his entire career - that being last season when he shattered his shoulder (yet still tried to play for a game) and had to go on IR for the rest of the year.

2. You keep refusing to comment on whether you think Maroney is worth re-signing at starter-level RB money when his contract is up soon. I'd wager that the vast majority would be against it.

Wow. You really think you have a home run hit with this so called "point", don't you? The question of whether or not we should give starter money to Maroney is ridiculous at this point given the fact that the Patriots have clearly shown that they wish to be a running back by committee type of team. How many times, since BB has been head coach of this team, have they given starter, or big money, to a running back? They sure as hell didn't do it when it was a one man wrecking crew, and they sure as hell aren't going to do it now when they can get two more capable bodies in there for the price of "starter" money. So, in short, if Maroney is expecting starter money, then he is out of his mind. He won't get it, and it won't be because of his production.

Even the strongest Maroney supporters can't put up strong arguments on these two points, because there aren't any.

Hmm. I believe I just did. However, the first point wasn't that hard considering that you destroyed it on your own before I even got to it...

Last edited:

I was just thinking that we could use another Maroney thread.

It's more psychology than anything. People develop unrealistic expectations, and then attack the object of those expectations rather than themselves for harboring such unrealistic expectations in the first place.

You're a stupid poster and I think Ian should cut you from this board!

Belichick compared Faulk's running situations with Maroney's:

When Kevin's in the game, it's usually in more of a passing situation and more of a spread out offense and that creates more space for him and the running game and a lot of times defenses aren't as concerned with the running game, whereas.....

the majority of Laurence's plays come when there's more people on the defense that are defending the run.... not that that makes any difference to him, he's got to run where the holes are anyway, but we've got to block it better and we've got to create more space for him than what we've been able to do.

But, again, maybe Bill's lying...

By the way, guys, I know I've already said this, but the Vikings-Steelers game is on NFL Network right now. Watch that game and what Adrian Peterson manages when his offensive line is unable to block the Steelers.

Belichick compared Faulk's running situations with Maroney's:

But, again, maybe Bill's lying...

What BB does not explain is why Morris and Taylor when in the near exact same situation like Maorney seem to grind out yards more effectively with the same OL than 39 does

BB had glowing words about Monte Beisel,Duane Starks,Chad Jackson...shall I go on?....This is a real dumb thread

I bet Belichick could go on the Big Show and try to sell swampland in Massachusetts and some of you would buy it

You are correct that BB will NEVER throw one of his players under the bus. BUT what should be clear here is that BB went out of his way to answer a loaded question by going into detail about WHY the running game wasn't going well....AND to state how he's been happy with the WAY Moroney has been running the ball. He HAS been hitting up hard. HE HAS been moving the pile HE HAS been falling forward. WTF -

This is hate for hate's sake. Its dumb and unfounded. The guy is AVERAGING 4.3 ypc. That is beyond respectable. There is a segment of fans here who will never be happy until EVERY position is filled by an all pro...at least that the way it feels

Feel free to bump this thread after Maroney gets released.

What BB does not explain is why Morris and Taylor when in the near exact same situation like Maorney seem to grind out yards more effectively with the same OL than 39 does

This is pretty clearly wrong. See my YPC stats in my second to last post. Morris has a lower YPC average than Maroney does. This is despite the fact that they don't see nearly as many stacked boxes as Maroney does (according to our coach anyway).

This is hate for hate's sake. Its dumb and unfounded. The guy is AVERAGING 4.3 ypc. That is beyond respectable. There is a segment of fans here who will never be happy until EVERY position is filled by an all pro...at least that the way it feels

Of course it is. I called it pretty much right off the bat and maverick4 played right into it. It doesn't matter what a three time Super Bowl winning head coach says, Patsfans.com knows what he is really talking about better than he does, and they also know the team better than he is. :rolleyes:

You are correct that BB will NEVER throw one of his players under the bus. BUT what should be clear here is that BB went out of his way to answer a loaded question by going into detail about WHY the running game wasn't going well....AND to state how he's been happy with the WAY Moroney has been running the ball. He HAS been hitting up hard. HE HAS been moving the pile HE HAS been falling forward. WTF -

What HE HAS been going against the past 2 weeks is 2 teams with a combined 0-12 record and only because Morris went down and nobody left ahead of him to garnish any PT.

Not saying he gives a damn about what any of us or the media thinks but if he is going to shut us up then do it against the cream of the crop and that is N.O. and Indy and his chance is coming up shortly

Possibly Maroney's final chance to show he is worthy of a valuable part of this team is in the next 5 weeks when the big boys are the opponents...not teams vying for the #1 pick

I will say it again for the millionth time---I do not hate Maroney..I simply have little faith in him in crucial situations and big games when he could be asked to produce.

Last edited:

5 pages into this thread and still none of the Maroney supporters are willing to say they'd want him re-signed at starter-level money when his contract runs out soon.

"Not really" is not a glowing support on LM and if he was frustrated with LM or not.
DW Toys
Uh, no. You're just reading it the way you want to. Belichick said "I really don't have a lot of problems" with LM, where the placement of "really" clearly indicates sincerity, not uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes