PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill belichick hints at running wildcat (in practice) and why patriots have tim tebow

Ironman44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It Is What It Is » Bill Belichick hints at running Wildcat (in practice) and why Patriots have Tim Tebow

When the Patriots signed Tim Tebow the day before June mini-camp, there was immediate speculation as to the reason why.

Were the Patriots signing him as a quarterback, tight end, receiver, running back or something else?

The speculation did not end there. Would he even make the team? What reason was there for him to be on the roster?

On Wednesday, before the second of three practices with the Eagles, Bill Belichick was asked about the read-option offense that has become quite the sensation among some NFL offense coordinators and defensive coordinators charged with stopping it.

Do the Patriots have to prepare for seeing more of it now?

“I mean we got into the Wildcat,” Belichick said of defending Philadelphia’s version on Tuesday. “It was something we prepared for every week. Some teams did it, some teams didn’t. Most every team that we played a couple years ago had at least shown it at some point during the year – maybe not necessarily against us but against another opponent, whoever their Wildcat-type player was.

“I think there are a lot of quarterbacks in the league that aren’t going to run a read, riding the side or that option type of thing. Then, there are quarterbacks that are capable of running it, whether they do or don’t, depending on their scheme, offensive coordinator and coach and all that. We definitely have to run it and be ready for it but I don’t know. I don’t know how it’s going to go.”

What is very possible is that the Patriots acquired Tebow to give their starting defense a different look during practices during the regular season, whether it’s a Wildcat or a read-option, and it’s very much like Belichick to have a player on his roster smart enough and diligent enough to serve that singular role. Belichick has already commended Tebow for his work ethic and his intelligence in meetings.

Both figure to serve him and the Patriots well going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bill belichick hints at running wildcat (in practice) and why patriots have tim t

Any play where Brady comes off the field for not only Tebow, but for Tebow to run that gimmick offense that has gone the way of the dinosaur in the NFL, is a play that's a huge mistake.

Re: Bill belichick hints at running wildcat (in practice) and why patriots have tim t

Sorry but that strikes me as nonsense. Everytime since the Dolphins sprang it on him years ago out of nowhere BB has reminded everyone of why the wildcat went the way of the dinosaur in the NFL by embarrassing the team doing it. He doesnt need tebow in practice to serve that function.

Just because its Tebow everyone seems to be looking for some magical plan. He's a 3rd string qb that is being given one last shot in the league by the guy who drafted him. Take away the name and he's no different than any other scrub in his position except that because we are solidified at QB1 and 2 a third is probably more valuable to the team if he can be a leader with no arm and play on special teams rather than simply be a mediocre arm that will never play. Occams razor, there's no secret master plan here.

Bill belichick hints at running wildcat (in practice)

1UweDIV.png

I'm sure BB will get Tebow in there in some capacity unlike Jets did. See Tebow gettin some playin time that Thurs. Nite Game VS Jets, I'll Be There!

It Is What It Is » Bill Belichick hints at running Wildcat (in practice) and why Patriots have Tim Tebow

When the Patriots signed Tim Tebow the day before June mini-camp, there was immediate speculation as to the reason why.

Were the Patriots signing him as a quarterback, tight end, receiver, running back or something else?

The speculation did not end there. Would he even make the team? What reason was there for him to be on the roster?

On Wednesday, before the second of three practices with the Eagles, Bill Belichick was asked about the read-option offense that has become quite the sensation among some NFL offense coordinators and defensive coordinators charged with stopping it.

Do the Patriots have to prepare for seeing more of it now?

“I mean we got into the Wildcat,” Belichick said of defending Philadelphia’s version on Tuesday. “It was something we prepared for every week. Some teams did it, some teams didn’t. Most every team that we played a couple years ago had at least shown it at some point during the year – maybe not necessarily against us but against another opponent, whoever their Wildcat-type player was.

“I think there are a lot of quarterbacks in the league that aren’t going to run a read, riding the side or that option type of thing. Then, there are quarterbacks that are capable of running it, whether they do or don’t, depending on their scheme, offensive coordinator and coach and all that. We definitely have to run it and be ready for it but I don’t know. I don’t know how it’s going to go.”

What is very possible is that the Patriots acquired Tebow to give their starting defense a different look during practices during the regular season, whether it’s a Wildcat or a read-option, and it’s very much like Belichick to have a player on his roster smart enough and diligent enough to serve that singular role. Belichick has already commended Tebow for his work ethic and his intelligence in meetings.

Both figure to serve him and the Patriots well going forward.

The wildcat is a gimmick offense that is used by teams that are unable to score points within a prototypical offense, and generally the team has a lower echelon quarterback. I know people have expressed concerns over our wide receivers but I don’t think they’re so concerning that we need employ the 2012 New York Jets offensive strategy; trickery is just that a trick and tricks generally only work a few times before people catch on.

I also don’t think Tebow has the makings of a very good wildcat quarterback; his decision making is not a strength and in a part-time occasional role his mistakes that lead to significant loses in yardage will not be as easy to overlook as they were when he was playing quarterback full time. The last thing you want to do is put Tebow on the field on 1&10 have him make the wrong read, lose 8 yards and then put Brady back on the field for a 2&18.

Tebow’s is also a much better straight ahead runner than lateral runner, so if you’re playing toward that strength you basically have a 2 dimensional wildcat where either he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off in the backfield before finally throwing it deep or he runs straight up the gut as a quarterback draw.

Listen Ryan Mallett has a gun, probably if not the strongest then one of the strongest arms in the NFL, we do not design plays where he comes into the game and throws deep passes because he can throw it deeper better than Brady, so I honestly don’t see us designing plays into our game plan for Tebow to come in and run around because he does it better than Brady.

When I read the transcript to this morning's press conference as well as (though to a lesser extent) Petraglia's article, I got a completely different sense than what the title to this thread seems to be alluding to. To me Belichick's reference to the wildcat was strictly in regards to it being used five years ago, and preparing or it back then. His comment was in response to preparing for the read option, and comparing preparing for the read option to preparing for a wildcat offense.

Bill Belichick Press Conference Transcript

Q: They showed some read option yesterday. Is this something that is a fad like the Wildcat?

BB: I don’t know.

Q: Is it something you have to prepare for more now?

BB: Sure, yeah sure. I mean we got into the Wildcat. It was something we prepared for every week. Some teams did it, some teams didn’t. Most every team that we played a couple years ago had at least shown it at some point during the year – maybe not necessarily against us but against another opponent, whoever their Wildcat-type player was. I think there’re a lot of quarterbacks in the league that aren’t going to run a read, riding the side or that option type of thing. Then, there are quarterbacks that are capable of running it, whether they do or don’t, depending on their scheme, offensive coordinator and coach and all that. We definitely have to run it and be ready for it but I don’t know. I don’t know how it’s going to go

Price then goes on to give his opinion, wondering out loud why Tebow is in Foxboro:

What is very possible is that the Patriots acquired Tebow to give their starting defense a different look during practices during the regular season, whether it’s a Wildcat or a read-option, and it’s very much like Belichick to have a player on his roster smart enough and diligent enough to serve that singular role.

So from all of that, what I got out of it is that perhaps the reason Bill Belichick brought Tim Tebow to New England was to be a scout team quarterback, to run the read option in order to prepare Pats defense.

The unasked question is this: is there enough value in that for the team to take up a 53-man roster spot with it? If that is the only (or at least primary) reason a player is here, then wouldn't the team be better served by using one of the eight spots on the practice squad on a QB who can run the read option, and using that 53rd roster spot on another player?

One thing that Petraglia omits is that Belichick also places a high value on versatility and being able to fulfill multiple roles. With that in mind I believe that Tebow is going to have to do more than simply be a scout team QB in order to survive cuts at the end of the month.

Last edited:

Any play where Brady comes off the field for not only Tebow, but for Tebow to run that gimmick offense that has gone the way of the dinosaur in the NFL, is a play that's a huge mistake.

You could have at least read the post before commenting on what you thought it said by the headline

When I read the transcript to this morning's press conference as well as (though to a lesser extent) Price's article, I got a completely different sense than what the title to this thread seems to be alluding to.

FWIW, the title of the thread is the title of the article that was posted.

That said, I didn't see any "hints" in Bill's statement either as to why they have Tebow or running the Wildcat this year.

You could have at least read the post before commenting on what you thought it said by the headline

I've read Belichick's breakdown of the Wildcat already. The OP's thread title has since been changed. Do you disagree with what I wrote? Or are you just spamming/trolling again?

I've read Belichick's breakdown of the Wildcat already. The OP's thread title has since been changed. Do you disagree with what I wrote? Or are you just spamming/trolling again?

He's flagging you for being insufficiently laudatory of King Tebow.

He's flagging you for being insufficiently laudatory of King Tebow.

The alarm in his studio apartment must have went off once their sensors picked up something even remotely negative being said about Tebow.

My post was a poor one to respond to, though, not only because the thread title was edited after I had made my post, but also because of how easy it was to turn around on him by asking if he disagreed that it would be a horrible idea to take Brady off the field for Tebow. I'm guessing I won't get a response back.

anybody who doesn't believe there is a hidden agenda with these T fans should read the vomit and bigoted garbage spewed forth by the repugnant "sports babe Brandi" on the Goo Gee Gaa Gaa Tebow board.

WE are all shallow, ignorant, jealous morons who "thrive on passionate ignorance" and who " tend to carve a position on Players, Coaches, etc. early on and fight tooth & nail to hold tightly to that position until they look like complete idiots even to their friends for continuing to do so." Nice, so we are all idiots because we shallow mindedly take positions on NFL football related and team related topics? Just what does this intergalactic moron expect fans to do? and the laughable part is she prints THIS self description of HER own fandom and is TOTALLY UNAWARE of HER ignorance and bias..fight tooth & nail to hold tightly to that position ...how does it not know what it is?

How many times have I been told on the board "oh stop crying Joker, you know this is part of what we do.." when the contract dissections and analyzations get into quantum mechanics level discussion? How many time have I posted "my head hurts!!!" because the discussion gets so involved??? How many times has a simple "this player looks pretty good" thread turned into a CIA workup on everything from his toe size to the color of his teeth? Read what THIS nitwit has to say about us and our level of analysis.

They tend to loathe anything more than Soundbite Level "Analysis" and take great pride in it. I can't tell Y'All how many times I've had NFL Fans and even some NFL Media say things like "Who takes the time to read the CBA?" when the CBA directly answers whatever the debate of the day happened to be. And say it in such a way as to have it attempt to say that, so long as they're ignorant of things, it makes their arguments valid. (You cannot dismiss my claims simply on the basis of my not knowing what I'm talking about.)

who takes the time to read the CBA? really? heh...yeah...nobody here knows anything about the CBA...nah...we're all just dumb rubes that fell off a turnip truck in Mansfield and we're ignorant and our arguments are therefore invalid.

SOME of that is tied directly to the perception that "Tebow Fans" are "Southern Redneck Gun Totin', Kid Whippin' Moonshine Drinkin' NASCAR Lovin 'TeaBaggers'".

Really?...I just can't imagine what the "sports babe" thinks of us northern, yankee, carpet bagging, ethnically diverse ,shallow "T Haters!!!!!!!!"....maybe she can dress us all up in HER favorite sheets and cone hats and we can have a hot dang good ol' Tebow hoedown...YEE HAW!!!!!

Your reading comprehension needs some work. Did you miss IN PRACTICE?

I disagree with what you wrote. If BB and Josh feel that taking Brady out and running something different will work then I'd be willing to believe they are right.

You like me are only giving an amateur opinion but you stated it like a fact.

Thread title was never changed it still is THE EXACT title of article on website , I copy and pasted .

The alarm in his studio apartment must have went off once their sensors picked up something even remotely negative being said about Tebow.

My post was a poor one to respond to, though, not only because the thread title was edited after I had made my post, but also because of how easy it was to turn around on him by asking if he disagreed that it would be a horrible idea to take Brady off the field for Tebow. I'm guessing I won't get a response back.

Threat title was never edited , click on the link of article , it's the title of the article and it clearly states in practice ( as in preparing the defense ) I cut and pasted article title

anybody who doesn't believe there is a hidden agenda with these T fans should read the vomit and bigoted garbage spewed forth by the repugnant "sports babe Brandi" on the Goo Gee Gaa Gaa Tebow board.

WE are all shallow, ignorant, jealous morons who "thrive on passionate ignorance" and who " tend to carve a position on Players, Coaches, etc. early on and fight tooth & nail to hold tightly to that position until they look like complete idiots even to their friends for continuing to do so." Nice, so we are all idiots because we shallow mindedly take positions on NFL football related and team related topics? Just what does this intergalactic moron expect fans to do? and the laughable part is she prints THIS self description of HER own fandom and is TOTALLY UNAWARE of HER ignorance and bias..fight tooth & nail to hold tightly to that position ...how does it not know what it is?

How many times have I been told on the board "oh stop crying Joker, you know this is part of what we do.." when the contract dissections and analyzations get into quantum mechanics level discussion? How many time have I posted "my head hurts!!!" because the discussion gets so involved??? How many times has a simple "this player looks pretty good" thread turned into a CIA workup on everything from his toe size to the color of his teeth? Read what THIS nitwit has to say about us and our level of analysis.

They tend to loathe anything more than Soundbite Level "Analysis" and take great pride in it. I can't tell Y'All how many times I've had NFL Fans and even some NFL Media say things like "Who takes the time to read the CBA?" when the CBA directly answers whatever the debate of the day happened to be. And say it in such a way as to have it attempt to say that, so long as they're ignorant of things, it makes their arguments valid. (You cannot dismiss my claims simply on the basis of my not knowing what I'm talking about.)

who takes the time to read the CBA? really? heh...yeah...nobody here knows anything about the CBA...nah...we're all just dumb rubes that fell off a turnip truck in Mansfield and we're ignorant and our arguments are therefore invalid.

SOME of that is tied directly to the perception that "Tebow Fans" are "Southern Redneck Gun Totin', Kid Whippin' Moonshine Drinkin' NASCAR Lovin 'TeaBaggers'".

Really?...I just can't imagine what the "sports babe" thinks of us northern, yankee, carpet bagging, ethnically diverse ,shallow "T Haters!!!!!!!!"....maybe she can dress us all up in HER favorite sheets and cone hats and we can have a hot dang good ol' Tebow hoedown...YEE HAW!!!!!

Joker I remember you posting about teBow fans invading the site , so when that dd not happen , now you go looking for them across the Internet

Think about that for a minute

If there is one thing that I learned about Bill Belichick when he talks to the media, 5% of the purpose when talking to the media is to let everyone know that you are on his radar.

Belichick was only talking about offensive schemes. They practiced the spread option and the wildcat last year and in years past without the aforementioned Tim Tebow on this roster.

Anyone who is thinking that Tim Tebow needs to be on the roster so that the Patriots can practice the wildcat or the spread option is incorrect in this thought process.

There is no inference that should be made between what Bill Belichick has said and what Tim Tebows' roster prospects are and I agree with the previous sentiment that was made about the WEEI story. Price is missing a much larger segment of this story.

BB, as I said last night, values a number of things when it comes to the remaining 24 members of the game day roster and the remaining 31 players of the 53-man roster who are not starters.

Positional flexibility is definitely one of them. The Patriots have never kept a man on its 53-man roster for singular and practice purposes, especially for the aforementioned offensive schemes.

If there is one thing that I learned about Bill Belichick when he talks to the media, 5% of the purpose when talking to the media is to let everyone know that you are on his radar.

Belichick was only talking about offensive schemes. They practiced the spread option and the wildcat last year and in years past without the aforementioned Tim Tebow on this roster.

Anyone who is thinking that Tim Tebow needs to be on the roster so that the Patriots can practice the wildcat or the spread option is incorrect in this thought process.

There is no inference that should be made between what Bill Belichick has said and what Tim Tebows' roster prospects are and I agree with the previous sentiment that was made about the WEEI story. Price is missing a much larger segment of this story.

BB, as I said last night, values a number of things when it comes to the remaining 24 members of the game day roster and the remaining 31 players of the 53-man roster who are not starters.

Positional flexibility is definitely one of them. The Patriots have never kept a man on its 53-man roster for singular and practice purposes, especially for the aforementioned offensive schemes.

Thank you for the intelligent response . At least you actually read the rticle and have a real opinion, in fact I'm leaning towards what you said right now , it's hard vto believe he would bring him in for such a specialized role .

Your reading comprehension needs some work. Did you miss IN PRACTICE?

I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing the (in practice) part in the original post when I clicked on it. If I missed it, then my apologies. My point still stands, though, even if it isn't relevant to the thread.

Joker please point out where I have done any of that.

I saw an article that kind of proves the theory that Tebow was brought in to help tune up the defense in practice for teams that run read option or pistol .

I posted the exact article title which clearly states " in practice " and it's relevant as its a theory many fans had on why Tebow is here .

Your response is delusional and unfair and you are in constant attack mode for no reason .if this article is true it proves tebow was not brought in to ever play QB ( you should rejoice ) but to help the defense prepare .

Kontardicyion has poor raeding skills and derailed thread almost immediately

It's always funny to me when someone makes multiple grammatical and spelling errors when attempting to insult the other person's reading comprehension abilities. Given your apparent level of anger in your first response to me, I'm not sure the "Kontardicyion" part isn't a thinly veiled attempt at an insult.

As I said before if I missed the (in practice) part originally, then my mistake.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back