PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Has Only Himself To Blame For This Mess On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was the GM from 2001 through 2004??

Yes he has picked some decent players in the draft. The best draft he has had in years is when he drafted Gronk and Hernandez. However at what point do we stop living in the past glory or keep saying in Belichick we trust?

His past 6 years of FA signings/drafts picks overall has been poor. I know there are no great defenses in the NFL anymore but the defense he has created is not even serviceable. Perhaps it is time for a change. Either hire or GM or at least a defensive coordinator because it seems BB is spreading himself too thin.

Last edited:
If you haven't noticed lately, press coverage is back. In fact, I think it is this type of coverage that has lead to our problems in the playoffs lately.

I know it's back in the Meadowlands. And beyond 5 yards also. Poor Cromartie has been flagged left & right trying to do like Revis (is allowed to) do.....

Bill Belichick is one of the Greatest coaches to ever live that being said ive never been impressed with most of his drafts. I think he and his staff have been so good at coaching up players he can take them with less talent and make it work for the most part. It May have caught up with him this year, and again i say Maybe. It to early to tell imo.

Ok, let me translate: 'we don't have 100% of the information so we cannot make a good judgment, the proof that we cannot make a good judgment is that we don't have 100% of the information".

Wow, you're in love with circular reasoning more than Rex Ryan loves cake.

The proof is in the pudding, we haven't been able to stop the teams we needed to when we needed to in some time. It's on BB.

OF COURSE it's on BB! Are you willing to agree that winning 16 of the last 20 games is "on BB" as well? As for your "circular reasoning" argument I have no idea what you're trying to say and really don't care.

I hope we add in some zone D. Man coverage, so far, hasn't worked.
A mix of both would be nice.

OF COURSE it's on BB! Are you willing to agree that winning 16 of the last 20 games is "on BB" as well? As for your "circular reasoning" argument I have no idea what you're trying to say and really don't care.

I guess the Pats have officially become the Colts because Patriots fans have turned into Colts fans, we used to laugh when trolling Colts fans would bring up all their regular season numbers in stats because THEY COULDN'T GET IT DONE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!

Circular reasoning is a formal logical fallacy in which the proposition to be proved is assumed implicitly or explicitly in one of the premises. For example:

"Only an untrustworthy person would run for office. The fact that politicians are untrustworthy is proof of this."

Such an argument is fallacious, because it relies upon its own proposition — "politicians are untrustworthy" — in order to support its central premise. Essentially, the argument assumes that its central point is already proven, and uses this in support of itself.

How many times has BB taken the podium and said "we need to do a better job coaching, I need to do a better job coaching etc" with that look of disgust on his face. It seems he's always putting the burden on himself, its written all over his face. He's more concerned and upset about the short comings than anyone of us fans will ever be, that's the truth.

You can question his decisions all day long but it's a big mistake to believe BB doesn't put any of the blame on himself. Foolish more like it, you don't get this far by passing the buck.

He's made big decisions that that proved the critics wrong more times than not. Many of the fans here have great passion, insight and ideas. I'm not so football savy but I know BB has our best interests at hart.

The Lumbardi Trophy:rocker: Go Pats!!!

I feel the defensive issues primarily come from a lack of overall talent and football accumen on the defensive side of the ball.

If we compare the current team's defenses to any of our championship defenses...there's a huge disparity in talent level, football smarts, leadership and playmaking ability.

The offense has masked the defenses innadequacies the last couple of years.

This years group is much less talented and much less cohesive than previous years.

I'm not apt to blame coaching completely, as even Lombardi would have difficulty making anything out of this group.

I will blame Belichick or whoever is truly responsible for doing an awful job collecting useful productive bodies for the D.

Let's look at the last 5 Super Bowl Champs and their defenses. Rex Ryan might. But, I don't give a damn about yards allowed. Especially the way the game is played now. I judge defenses on points allowed. Bonus points for forcing turnovers. But, mainly points allowed.

06 Indy - 23rd in points allowed. Jax ran for 447 yards on them in Week 13!! Yet, put it together a little. And won it all. We were 2nd.

07 NY Giants - 17th in points allowed. Too vomit inducing to discuss how their season ended. We were 4th.

08 Pittsburgh - 1st in points allowed. But, took a great pass and better catch to beat Arizona who finished 28th in points allowed.
We were 8th.

09 New Orleans - 18th in points allowed. We were 5th.

10 Green Bay - 2ND in points allowed. Pitt 1st. We finished 8th.

We've been in the ballpark in terms of having a championship defense in 3 of the last 5 years. 06, 07 and 09. Only years we didn't were 08 and last year. And, I'm sure we beat Pitt at home if played them last year. Rex has done a good job defensing us. The Jets only gave up 9 less points than us last year and we forced more turnovers.
Let's wait until after Thanksgiving. That's when the real season starts before make any hasty decisions either way.

Hmmm...add in the fact that the defense is being judged based upon 3 games, the last of which we were missing half of our starting defensive backfield and 3 of our top 4 or 5 lineman after a shortened pre-season and that pretty much sums up the refutation of the article. Yeah, the D has some issues now, but has consistently been a top 10 scoring defense since Belichick took over. That includes the last 2 years running without Seymour.

Our expectation is perfection and it's not really fair.

Oh....and Belichick's arrogance for believing in his schemes? Seriously, George Cain? moron.

Do we have any safeties who can make that work?

I hope we add in some zone D. Man coverage, so far, hasn't worked.
A mix of both would be nice.

Do we have any safeties who can make that work?

They played tons of zones last year w. Chung and Meri w. Sanders and Brown being subbed in. So I guess its Brown as SS and Chung as FS.
That's gotta be rough. So true FS on this team I think.

It's Belichick's defense. There is no D.C..

This team won 3 championships with Romeo Crennel as DC. I think it's BS to say BB couldn't use some talented coordinators.

This team won 3 championships with Romeo Crennel as DC. I think it's BS to say BB couldn't use some talented coordinators.

What ever happened to that Dom Capers guy...:D

Originally Posted by patsfaninpa
Let's look at the last 5 Super Bowl Champs and their defenses. Rex Ryan might. But, I don't give a damn about yards allowed. Especially the way the game is played now. I judge defenses on points allowed. Bonus points for forcing turnovers. But, mainly points allowed.

06 Indy - 23rd in points allowed. Jax ran for 447 yards on them in Week 13!! Yet, put it together a little. And won it all. We were 2nd.

07 NY Giants - 17th in points allowed. Too vomit inducing to discuss how their season ended. We were 4th.

08 Pittsburgh - 1st in points allowed. But, took a great pass and better catch to beat Arizona who finished 28th in points allowed.
We were 8th.

09 New Orleans - 18th in points allowed. We were 5th.

10 Green Bay - 2ND in points allowed. Pitt 1st. We finished 8th.

We've been in the ballpark in terms of having a championship defense in 3 of the last 5 years. 06, 07 and 09. Only years we didn't were 08 and last year. And, I'm sure we beat Pitt at home if played them last year. Rex has done a good job defensing us. The Jets only gave up 9 less points than us last year and we forced more turnovers.
Let's wait until after Thanksgiving. That's when the real season starts before make any hasty decisions either way.

So since 06 the SB winner has been
06 - 23th
07 - 17th
08 - 1st
09 - 18th
10 - 2nd

So it seems to me whatever teams defense is playing the best at the end of the year has a good shot at winning the SB.
This team just needs to work on getting better every week and hopefully by Dec-Jan they're playing well and find their stride.

What is a championship defense? It is a defense that belongs to a team that wins the championship. Everything else is just conversation.

While there is no doubt BB has not fielded a dominant defense in several years (and the blame is his - not a DC), ultimately, is the team vying for a championship? We could be Baltimore with its dominant defense and lack of O. The Patriots are in the mix with a small handful of teams seemingly every year. I'd like the D to be better but BB is consistently fielding a highly competitive team that is easy to root for. Let's not lose sight of that......

Yeah...that has nothing to do with #12.

Tom Terrific needs to go on a record breaking playoff run if we want to win anything.

Yeah...that has nothing to do with #12.

Tom Terrific needs to go on a record breaking playoff run if we want to win anything.

Am I correctly sensing poor Tom has to carry too much of the load? (poor Tom! What an unfair world!). Yes, it has a lot to do with #12 (big fan of #12). It also has a lot to do with the coach (big fan of BB). NewsFlash! QB's are very important cogs in the success of a team and they carry a far bigger burden than any other player. And if they don't play exceptionally well we probably don't win the championship. Coaches are very important cogs in the long term success of a team, too, and also carry an exceptionally heavy burden.

What team is continually contenders without an exceptional QB and coach?

The good news? The Patriots aren't the Red Sox......

Am I correctly sensing poor Tom has to carry too much of the load? (poor Tom! What an unfair world!). Yes, it has a lot to do with #12 (big fan of #12). It also has a lot to do with the coach (big fan of BB). NewsFlash! QB's are very important cogs in the success of a team and they carry a far bigger burden than any other player. And if they don't play exceptionally well we probably don't win the championship. Coaches are very important cogs in the long term success of a team, too, and also carry an exceptionally heavy burden.

What team is continually contenders without an exceptional QB and coach?

The good news? The Patriots aren't the Red Sox......

Yeah....Tom Brady has too much to carry. If he makes a mistake and doesn't play at his extremely high level we lose.

Unlike Rapist(he's horrible),Sanchez(need i say more?),Rodgers(sucked vs Bears),****ler(he always sucks). The 4 Championship game QBs last year.

That’s got to be one of the stupidest posts I’ve seen in a long time. Instead of trying to REFUTE his point you just try to make a Hitler comparison, pathetic.

BB is a magnificent coach, not so great as a GM. Kraft needs to hire a GM if he wants to win again, BB doesnt seem to want to delegate which hurts us, and his personell moves leave a LOT to be desired.

Actually, it's not about Hitler, it's about believing something just because it's in print, but you know that. It's about finding a point of view that is seemingly rational by supporting it with concrete and distorted facts but the premise is in fact flawed and in my example, insane.

I see the same games you do. Though, execution is more of an issue for me at times, so that would be coaching. Maybe BB isn't quite so magnificent a coach anymore. The same mistakes keep being repeated.

I don't know but I am not going to whine and cry about it. (well unless we lose in the playoffs to the Jets. But there is a price to success.)

But enjoy yourself. See, no totalitarian thoughts there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back