PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick---Firestarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Bill Belichick just lit a fire under Tom Brady and i doubt it will go out until he retires. Like Tom Curran I didn't think the Patriots would go high for a QB, except in my case i thought it would be possible if they trade Mallett to the Texans, which obviously hasn't happened. Curran however went on to say that the reason they wouldn't use a high choice for a QB is because Brady would be so fired up by it that he would eat the kids lunch, and i somewhat agree. I don't see Brady ever shutting another player out and he will do what he can to help any young player to learn their system and get better, but i definitely think this is the first time that Brady has ever had a real concern that they might have brought in his replacement and that this is going to light him up the same way the Brady 6 did and we are going to see some really inspired play from here on out from him. Brady has always worked hard and I don't think anyone believes that he wouldn't have been working hard regardless of the Garrapolo pick but this does bring an extra edge and dynamic to it that we haven't seen since the early years, and if Brady responds the same way now as he did as young player then watch out.

You make a very good point. Brady says he still has a chip on his shoulder, and plays every game like someone can take his job. Only problem is that the team didn't do much to help Brady in the offseason and draft.

Right like add the best defensive back in the history of the NFL. Then grab another probowl db. Got another WR. Hopefully will have Gronk back healthy. Should get back their two starting dlinemen, and starting LB they lost early in the season. Then went and drafted one of the highest rated interior d-linemen, and the best center in college football last year. Plus they still have months of free agency left.

Your posting rights have been officially revoked.

they drafted 3 Olinemen to help Brady out + Brandon LaFell and re-signing Edelman

Not to mention going out and getting Revis and Browner. Improving the defense = helping Brady.

They really need to do something at TE still tho. Dustin Keller maybe?

Gronk can't be relied on to last 16 games. We've seen this the past 3 years.

I'm expecting a rejuvenated Brady to counter those up the middle blitzes himself, knocking Ngata on his ass and then tossing a bullet TD pass to some udfa WR of the week! On defense, his always competitive play batting down any attempts at passes over the middle will inspire the D to shutouts! At his age I do think he should avoid playing on STs though, especially kickoffs. Stick to holding and running sneak TDs.

The OP has an interesting point, but Brady doesn't strike me as a guy who needs motivation like a rookie pushing him. I also think Brady was part of the discussion to draft this particular guy. Brady's always been very highly praised by his back-ups as they hit the bricks. Hoyer and Cassell had lots of great things to say about how much he included them and helped them be ready to take over should he need a substitute. This guy shouldn't be different.

Garoppolo was just handed the biggest gift possible: the chance to be Brady's understudy for a couple of years so that he can actually play in the NFL when the time comes. He also was handed a crapload of pressure to perform should Brady retire or get hurt, but with a couple of years of learning from guys like Brady, Belichick and McDaniels, he should be fine.

Mallett is an interesting matter, to me. He's got no value because he hasn't done squat, through no fault of his own. But I bet he could run an offense and be better than some of the hosers around the league. Right now, though I can't tell you if I'd rather send in Mallett or guys like Christian Ponder or Chad Henne.

That's weird. Because Gronk has showed that he can be relied on to play a full season as much as he hasn't.

Or did you forget he played in every game his first two seasons?

Exactly and the forearm was a total freak injury !

That's weird. Because Gronk has showed that he can be relied on to play a full season as much as he hasn't.

Or did you forget he played in every game his first two seasons?

No that simply doesn't jive with the woe is me crowd and their whiney ass argument.

I don't get people. For years it was they don't give Brady a defense so he has to score 30+ to win. Then they don't give him a running game. Then they don't give him WR's....and this year they give him the best secondary in the AFC and arguably the best in the NFL, a front 7 in the top 10 and a LB corps with young talent with loads of potential along with their leader returning.

They have one of the best RB's in the NFL on the roster, if he can simply figure out a cure for his fumblitis, they have an explosive multi-purpose back, a power back and drafted a rookie for good measure. They have three WR's going into their second season and first full offseason, it isn't a trade secret that WR's usually start to get "it", and make huge leaps from year one to year two (I know silly me that only happens with other teams, not ours), they have two vets in Lafell (if he gets the system) and Amendola (hopefully he stays healthy). They have the best TE in football, a veteran line that they just infused with 3 draft picks. And they signed a bunch of UDFA, of which, at least one, if not two will make the team and be a contributor (happens every year).

All that before we get into late spring/summer trades.

But yeah poor Brady...I'm sure Chad Henne is playing the violin for him as I type this.

I do not think Tom Brady is going to be any more motivated by Garopollo being drafted with pick #62 then he was by Mallett being drafted with the #74 pick in 2011. The earliness of the Garopollo pick is grossly exaggerated, as is the belief that he is the heir apparent to Brady, the reality is that it was a 12-pick difference between our last backup QB and our new backup QB.

Belichick made it very clear in his press conference; he never wants to have a season like the Colts had when Manning was injured, so he invests more in backup QBs than most coaches would. He spent the #94 pick on O’Connell, tendered Brian Hoyer with a second round tender in 2011, and as I already said drafted Mallett at #74. Belichick wants to have a capable backup QB that is all the Garopollo pick was about.

I do not think Tom Brady is going to be any more motivated by Garopollo being drafted with pick #62 then he was by Mallett being drafted with the #74 pick in 2011. The earliness of the Garopollo pick is grossly exaggerated, as is the belief that he is the heir apparent to Brady, the reality is that it was a 12-pick difference between our last backup QB and our new backup QB.

Belichick made it very clear in his press conference; he never wants to have a season like the Colts had when Manning was injured, so he invests more in backup QBs than most coaches would. He spent the #94 pick on O’Connell, tendered Brian Hoyer with a second round tender in 2011, and as I already said drafted Mallett at #74. Belichick wants to have a capable backup QB that is all the Garopollo pick was about.

Exactly, what is there to not understand.... Brady is getting older and Mallet is a free agent next year. They need a replacement. Let's not over think this.

Maybe they should wait until the last minute and draft a franchise QB in the 6th round in 2017.

The Patriots are deep everywhere, finally. The two exceptions may be TE and LB. But with the additions to the DL, Ninko can be a LB if needed, so they have four good ones, and they may be playing only two on most snaps. It is possible that they may use some hybrid LB/SS such as P Chung or T Wilson.

For reserve TE, I have heard rumors they will sign Keller, a former First Round move TE, later in pre-season.

How old are you guys?
I'm serious. Maybe you do not know.
At some point in your 30s you go fro denying the aging process to accepting it. Brady can be anything from pissed and motivated to "Show 'dem bastards who's done!" to accepting his aging and is glad to tutor this guy.
I'm serious. A guy like Favre was in denial until real late. (He assumed Jen Sterger was coming on to him she smiled, not that she was being kind to an elder.)

And the Easly selection is driving Vince to pull rehab all-nighters!

RTm6K3pz1T-4.png

The GOAT doesn't need to be motivated by a changing of the clipboard holder.

I agree, he doesn't need that motivation, but that doesn't mean he won't run with it, and that is exactly what I see happening. Until now Brady knew that he was the man, period, no one was taking his job any time soon, and while i still don't think anyone is taking his job anytime soon i think he will take both using a 2nd on a Qb and Belichick's comments about planning for the future as motivation to once again prove he is the best.

If it was a different player, I could maybe get on board with it. But this is Tom Brady - he doesn't need a rookie pushing for his job to get motivated.

The OP has an interesting point, but Brady doesn't strike me as a guy who needs motivation like a rookie pushing him. I also think Brady was part of the discussion to draft this particular guy. Brady's always been very highly praised by his back-ups as they hit the bricks. Hoyer and Cassell had lots of great things to say about how much he included them and helped them be ready to take over should he need a substitute. This guy shouldn't be different.

Garoppolo was just handed the biggest gift possible: the chance to be Brady's understudy for a couple of years so that he can actually play in the NFL when the time comes. He also was handed a crapload of pressure to perform should Brady retire or get hurt, but with a couple of years of learning from guys like Brady, Belichick and McDaniels, he should be fine.

I don't think Brady needs motivation I just think that given who he is and how he got to where he got to this is a move that will resonate with him and serve as added motivation, and that will be interesting to watch unfold. he knows the job is his this season, that's not in question, however if he actually has a bad season (which I don't think is going to happen) then there is going to be realistic discussion as to whether Garrapolo is going to get a real chance to compete for the job, and Brady knows this and he is going to do absolutely everything he has to make that happen. And the same dynamic will be in play every year after this year for the rest of his career, unless they trade Garrapolo to Houston for Andre Johnson....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back