PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick: Everybody's critic - possibly the best article ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
the vrabel trade wasn't anything I expected, but it wasn't so shocking after the fact, and I think there are a lot of moves of that nature.
I can't say i predict every personnel decision, but they usually seem pretty sensible, and I have no idea why so many people seem so mystified on the reasoning.

the guy was making more money than he was worth -- they traded him to a 'buddy' with a ton of cap space who was willing to pay him and needed that injection of winning culture.
that trade obviously put a lot of money in the guy's pocket, so I'd think more people would have been happy about it ---- would you rather see him cut?
I believe at the time of the trade they were right at the cap entering the first days of fa.

as for humiliation being a motivational tool, I'm totally against true negativity and bullying as any kind of really effective approach, but there are really different flavors of that kind of thing, and embarrassment doesn't have to be bullying or humiliation for the sake of humiliation.
sounds like it's all legit criticism, and this is the kind of thing where the source really matters.

a younger guy without the resume, like mcdaniels, might have to take a somewhat different approach, as I'd imagine the reception would be a bit different.
it really comes down to whether the guy dishing it out has ability and takes accountibility, or whether he's just a fatheaded **** who gets off on the position he has to abuse people.

to answer somebody's question earlier in the thread about whether belichick turns the belistrator on himself, I think there was something in life of a coach, or wherever I saw it, where belichick told his team the coaches had completely eff'd up that first game against st loius during the regular season, and they had to throw that plan out and try another approach.
when somebody's just as hard on themselves as they are on you it's a lot easier to take 'abuse', if we even call it that.

there's a big difference between just criticism and constructive criticism.

Excellent article.
My boss is a jerk, and My boss is a jerk but we are ridiculously successful are 2 very, very different things.
The real key to a management style working is surrounding yourself with subordinates who respond to that style.
Rule #1 of good management is that the subordinates must adapt to the management style, rather than the management style adapting to the suboridinates. The latter is the easy way and can get short term improvement that is not sustainable. The former is (with the right person in charge) is where long term success eminates.

Excellent article.
My boss is a jerk, and My boss is a jerk but we are ridiculously successful are 2 very, very different things.
The real key to a management style working is surrounding yourself with subordinates who respond to that style.
Rule #1 of good management is that the subordinates must adapt to the management style, rather than the management style adapting to the suboridinates. The latter is the easy way and can get short term improvement that is not sustainable. The former is (with the right person in charge) is where long term success eminates.

I think too many people get caught up in styles and trying to mimic what they see from others.
it's not the style that's effective, it's the substance behind it -- the work and ability.

belichick's 'style' is effective because that criticism is coming from belichick -- some jackhole trying to parrot him might not find he has the same success.

so, when you say the real key to management is some particular trick, I'd say the real key is the work you put in and the attitude and ability you have.
management is about leadership as much as it is managing the technical side.

to answer somebody's question earlier in the thread about whether belichick turns the belistrator on himself, I think there was something in life of a coach, or wherever I saw it, where belichick told his team the coaches had completely eff'd up that first game against st loius during the regular season, and they had to throw that plan out and try another approach.
when somebody's just as hard on themselves as they are on you it's a lot easier to take 'abuse', if we even call it that.

I am thinking that he recently told them the same thing about the last Giants game...we were shut out in the first half for the first time since 2006.

I think too many people get caught up in styles and trying to mimic what they see from others.
it's not the style that's effective, it's the substance behind it -- the work and ability.

belichick's 'style' is effective because that criticism is coming from belichick -- some jackhole trying to parrot him might not find he has the same success.

so, when you say the real key to management is some particular trick, I'd say the real key is the work you put in and the attitude and ability you have.
management is about leadership as much as it is managing the technical side.

I didn't say the key was a 'trick'. I said the key is staying true to your guy and surrounding yourself with people who respond to it.

Great article, thanks for the link!

Wish there is a place for 'must-read' articles on our site so that people can refer to and get a bit more understanding of stuff that we normally don't read/hear about.

GO PATS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes