Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bill Belichick - Coach of the year?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Doonan24, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Doonan24

Doonan24 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

During the Sunday Night Football game on ESPN, they showed the 5 or 6 "leading" canidates for coach of the year - and belichick was nowhere on the list. They never even mentioned him. I thought with what he's done with the amount of injuries and loss of coordinators, he'd be and easy pick but the national media seems to dissagree. WHY?
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

He should be considered, for the reasons you mentioned plus the normal letdowns teams have after going to the SB. The Rams, Panthers and Eagles all failed to make the playoffs after going to the SB. The Buccanneers and Raiders did too. But here the Patriots are again.
  3. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I noticed that, and I also noticed during Dallas-Skins game the announcers were discussing MVP candidates. They mentioned Shaun Alexander, Palmer, Steve Smith, Peyton, Edgerrin James, and NO Brady.
  4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Consider the source, those ***clowns are too busy doing whatever it is that they do.......(I still haven't figured it out).....
    Just my $0.02,
  5. kptmorgan04

kptmorgan04 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

it is ludacrous that BB aka Yodacheck not be considered and even a front runner at this point. IF I repeat IF the colts went undefeated during the regular season I would say you would have to give it to dungy by default.... BUT they thankfully havent :)

He has taken a team that the only injury they have not had (BIG Knock on Wood), is at starting QB. every other position has not only been hurt, but hurt in a bad way.
    The team just won the AFC East and now is everyones "dont want to play them" in the playoffs. With the loss of their two coordinators supposed to doom the pats and BB this year, I think he deserves this nomination more than anyone else in the league possibly ever has
  6. Gumby

Gumby Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Undoubtedly deserves it; but unlikely to get it.

Partially a victim of his own success. He has been SO GOOD the last couple of years that he cant do much to top what he previously did; so what he is doing is discounted.

When is the final vote tallied. That will certainly play into it. If Pats are still in hunt at AFCC game or SB and vote isnt finalized; some of those voters may switch their votes.
  7. Bill's Girl

Bill's Girl Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

BB won it in 2003..... Is this award voted on before post-season?? I assume it must be because Dick Jauron won it in 2001. The fact that the Patriots have won so much puts BB at a disatvantage for this award. Usually the award goes to a coach that turned a terible season around. Schottenheimer won last year.... My guess for this year will be the Bengals coach.
  8. Chris

Chris Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

only award i want BB to get is another lombardi.. im sure he'd take that over Coach of the year even though he deserves it..
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  9. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +119 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Wow! Welcome back BG. Thought that you have left us. Now get HC back here and I'll change my location.

Now, back to the subject. I'm sure that you are correct Marvin Lewis will get it in the AFC. Probably Lovie Smith in the NFC. Both deserve strong consideration.

ESPN does not have a vote but they can hype certain people. If we go deep into the playoffs or even make to the SB again - certainly BB should deserve it. But I don't think that he'll get it.
  10. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Of course BB deserves it, but I think a case can be made for spreading it around and giving it to Marvin Lewis. BB has won it in the recent past.
  11. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +119 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

The Choir is back!!!
  12. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Preach it!!:D
  13. Tony Collins

Tony Collins Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bill should get kudos for going unbeaten against that scrappy AFC East.

Going 3-5 against teams with a winning record should be the final push.

Giving up 40 at home twice may dampen that a tad.
  14. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 17 / -2

IMHO, The time to consider this when we reach the Superbowl. This year, I would think the AFC Coach of the Year should be whoever gets to the Super Bowl.

Lovey will get it in the NFC, and well-deserved.

We need to face the fact that the AFC is really aweful. We lost to the tough teams, and beat the easy ones. By the time we get to the SUper Bowl, we will have won three key games in prime time.
  15. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I thought Bill Belichick has already transcended such mundane award "coach of the year".

To even utter his name in the same sentence as Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy, or Lovie Smith is ludicruous.

Belichick belongs to the company the legendardy Lombardi, Shula, Parcells, Gibbs, Brown, and other Hall of Fame coaches.

In fact, they should call it the Belichick Trophy for coach of the year.

16. Bill's Girl

Bill's Girl Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I missed you to, Nutty! I had my two-year old niece on Saturday for the game and she loved it. When I saw her today she kept asking for football!

Since 1997, they only award one coach of the year. I don't care about coach of the year for BB or MVP for Tom Brady.......I want to see them hoisting the Lombardi!
  17. Bill's Girl

Bill's Girl Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not so sure Parcells belongs on that list...He only has two rings and both were won with BB on his sideline... Also I would add Bill Walsh to your list!
  18. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +119 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Amen on the Lombardi!

Great to have another Patriots fan being groomed early. Sounds like she will have a great role model.
  19. BradyisGod

BradyisGod Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The AFC is a stronger conference than the NFC. The breakdown in interconference games is as follows:

Week 1 - 1-1
    Week 2 - 2-2
    Week 3 - 3-1
    Week 4 - 0-2
    Week 5 - 5-1
    Week 6 - 2-2
    Week 7 - 0-6
    Week 8 - 3-1
    Week 9 - 1-1
    Week 10 - 2-1
    Week 11 - 2-0
    Week 12 - 4-4
    Week 13 - 0-0
    Week 14 - 1-1
    Week 15 - 5-1

Total AFC Advantage - 31 - 24

Now if you meant the AFC East is weak, then yes, but the Patriots did beat a healthy Steeler team, Falcons, as well as the Bucs now.
  20. onegameatatime

onegameatatime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

BB is above coach of the year. That is a merely human award. Dick Jauron wins ... and is fired the next year.

It tends to go to a playoff team not expected to be in the playoffs. The only big surprise I can see is Chicago, so Lovie Smith should be a shoe-in.

Mild surprise would have to be how well the Giants have done, and maybe Denver.

No real surprise in the AFC (like Chicago) except negative ones -- Jets and Ravens in particular.