PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick can draw up a play from 1959 from memory because of course he can

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB said every team in the league runs this play. Ok boys, it's safe to run this against the Ravens.

Last edited:
I grew up in Winchester and Joe Bellino was my all-time football hero. His younger brother Mike was in my class and also a good football player, but nothing like Joe. Joe had an amazing physique, with all his strength and weight in his lower body -- huge calves for a not very big guy.

I went to every Winchester game, both home and away, with my dad, and have a distinct memory of Bellino flashing down the sideline just barely in bounds but in complete control. Great high school player, great college player, never became a great NFL player. Like a lot of Heisman Trophy winners. Too bad, but still a great guy.

And maybe not the best football player in his family! My dad loved to talk about a play that he saw (but I didn't) where Sammy Bellino, Joe's older brother, was on defense and ran into the ball carrier, stole the ball, and ran it in for a touchdown. Sounded like a great play.

Our common admiration for Joe Bellino is probably my only connection to Bill Belichick.

I think she had a major accident.

Yea. She married **** Stockton.

I can appreciate how this media business can really make a middle-aged woman feel not "viewer friendly" and the only way to stay competitive is plastic surgery. Heck even the Fox25 meteorologist in the mornings had a boob job so I get it.

Visser is probably the most accomplished, respected female journalist ever and she felt the need to do that? Just not right...

Not saying PS is wrong. Just saying I hope she did it for the right reasons and not to make some a-hole network exec happy.

Wasn't this play run last week? Off tackle power play? I think it was the 4th & 1 play by Blount.

Last edited:
Not saying PS is wrong. Just saying I hope she did it for the right reasons and not to make some a-hole network exec happy.

It wasn't by choice. She's an accomplished, tough journalist.

Wasn't this play run last week? Off tacke power play? I think it was the 4th & 1 play by Blount.

Haha - great catch, Dawg.

LeGarrette Bellino!!!!!

Check out the video at the 0:20 mark: The two plays are close, but the blocking is a bit different - - by design or simply circumstance? I dunno. The Navy left guard pulls all the way to the far right, whereas Thuney stays home. Other difference I can see is that Blount read his block differently and cut outside of it while Bellino just cut inside of it because the Navy blocker cut his man to the outside while Bennett and Develin cut their guys to the inside. I think I heard/saw something where the Blount run was designed to cut inside the block but as opposed to the fullback blocker in the Navy play, Bennett is already blocking the edge rusher inside and develin can only clamp down on him inside, so Blount reads the play as not setting any edge on the 4th down and simply cut outside of the initial block on his own read.

Last edited:
Haha - great catch, Dawg.

LeGarrette Bellino!!!!!

Check out the video at the 0:20 mark: The two plays are close, but the blocking is slightly different - - by design or simply circumstance? I dunno. Only difference I can see is that Blount read his block differently and cut outside of it while Bellino just cut inside of it because the Navy blocker cut his man to the outside while bennett and Develin cut their guys to the inside. I think I heard/saw something where the Blount run was designed to cut inside the block but as opposed to the fullback blocker in the Navy play, Bennett is already blocking the edge rusher inside and develin can only clamp down on him inside, so Blount reads the play as not setting any edge on the 4th down and simply cut outside of the initial block on his own read.

Yep. He said that on the "Belichick Breakdown" from this past week.

BB is a cheater. Stealing plays from when Dwight Eisenhower was still in office....sheesh.

:p

Thanks, RW. So the play WAS designed for Blount to cut inside of the Bennett/Develin block - a la Bellino, but he improvised.

Interesting to wonder - - Was the Visser-BB-Bellino interview done BEFORE the Rams game? Maybe last week? If so, I wonder if it jogged the idea to BB who then inserted it as an "Oh yeah, that wasaa great play, let me show it to Scar and Josh."

Probably not, but fun to think it might have.

Thanks, RW. So the play WAS designed for Blount to cut inside of the Bennett/Develin block - a la Bellino, but he improvised.

Interesting to wonder - - Was the Visser-BB-Bellino interview done BEFORE the Rams game? Maybe last week? If so, I wonder if it jogged the idea to BB who then inserted it as an "Oh yeah, that wasaa great play, let me show it to Scar and Josh."

Yea Bill said that LG had the 1st down but said when the defender slid to the inside and left the outside unprotected he took it. Says he made the right read and had zero issue with a 40 yd TD run. :p

I bet its in their playbook anyway and would not put it past him to do that - especially if Bellino was in the stands.

BB is a sucker for nostalgia.

God I'd love he hear the rest of clip from that show.

I have one Joe Bellino Story though. When I signed with the Quincy Giants I had to go Joe Bellino's office to do the playerwork. In his office he introduced himself to me and shook my hand, and then pointed out his Heisman Trophy. It then took about 2 minutes to finish up and I was out the door with the next guy coming in. He seemed like a pretty nice guy, and it was many years later before I met him again. But I still remember walking out the office with a copy of my contract (which paid me $250/game) and rememebering him pointing out the Heisman so proudly and thinking to my self, "what a douche" ;)

I can't recall ever seeing him again that season, or for over a decade. Joe lived in Winchester and so did one of my weekly poker buddies. On night Joe showed up for poker night and he was great. Great stories, Great laughs, and he was a bad player. ;). Since then I've always felt a little bad for my initial reaction that summer night in August of 1969... But it was still a "little" bit douchie, don't you think. ;)
I once met Johnny Lujack in a restaurant in South Bend. For some reason this made me think of that. My guess is that Ken knows of him. For those that don't he's an interesting guy To check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back