PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick at UConn's Pro Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Desmond Conner | UCONN Football

Bill was heavily involved. Eyes on the DBs mostly, and not only Darius Butler. He was looking at Dahna Deleston too who is a freak athlete and he hits like a ton of bricks. This kid is a Rodney Harrison-type hard hitter.

Unfortunately, Dahna is also completely lost covering in the backfield. He actually reminds me more of Lawyer Milloy covering on his worst days.

In other words, Deleston has all the tools to be a great safety in the NFL. But he has no instincts for the passing game. Belichick might be taking a look to see how smart the kid is, and he might be thinking of the kid in a Tank Williams-like role.

Check out Julius Williams' bench press and vertical leap in particular.

That's a defnesive end/linebacker.

I can guarantee that NO ONE at his position came close to those stats, not even Connor Barwin.

Then again, these tests don't tell us much about the ability to play football.

I hope we draft both William Beatty at #23 and Darius Butler at #34 or hopefully #47 :)

Belichick Wants To See Lorenzen... - Desmond Conner | UCONN Football
Belichick Wants To See Lorenzen...
By Desmond Conner on March 25, 2009 3:37 PM

What's good?

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who has been hanging out quite a bit today with UConn coach Randy Edsall, whispered a little something in Edsall's ear just a few minutes ago.

Edsall said he asked to see Lorenzen as a safety. And right now, he's working with Darius Butler and Dahna Deleston and Belichick is right on top of the drills they're running, has taken off his coat and everything.

They have some great players, so i'd be thrilled if we would get either Beatty or Butler somewhere in the 2nd. Though i wouldn't put too much value in their appearance.

0b51199aed_beli_0326.jpg

I guess this squashes my dream of drafting Darius Butler :(

I'd much rather see that picture than to see him schmoozing with the other coaches at the owner's meeting :)

We know Bill is a genius.

Now he has had a long off-season to prepare, a LOT of draft picks and has stocked up on quality FA's.

Him skipping the owners meetings to scout... it's pretty hard not to have a very good feeling about the coming season.

Have any of you heard about this wr/safety (Lorenzon) before?

This split roles thing continues to matter a lot to Bill, ut we're not seeing a ton of it (though Hoch at FB was brilliant).

Lorenzen is the QB at UConn. 6'4" 225lbs.

BB might have been wanting to see his ability to think like a defender, something that Brady is completely adept at.

Lorenzen is the QB at UConn. 6'4" 225lbs.

BB might have been wanting to see his ability to think like a defender, something that Brady is completely adept at.

Yeah, I saw that he was throwing, but couldn't understand a QB playing safety and though I was misreading. That's interesting stuff.

BTW, you caused me to picture Brady playing safety. That gave a reasonable opportunity to chuckle this am. hehe

Last edited:
I do find it very interesting that of all the players at UConn (Butler, Brown, Beatty), he was seemingly very interested in the QB.

Might we go QB again late on? 5th round maybe?

I do find it very interesting that of all the players at UConn (Butler, Brown, Beatty), he was seemingly very interested in the QB.

Might we go QB again late on? 5th round maybe?

I'm sure that the last thing BB would do is tip his hand regarding any of the more highly rated prospects. But I'm sure he got a good look at them.

It seems like every year we hear some version of "we were scouting player A, but player B just kept sticking out", when the pats end up drafting player B.

Yeah, I saw that he was throwing, but couldn't understand a QB playing safety and though I was misreading. That's interesting stuff.

BTW, you caused me to picture Brady playing safety. That gave a reasonable opportunity to chuckle this am. hehe

Didn't Cassel play safety in high school as well? Maybe BB sees some value in that position that makes QB's better at seeing the whole field?

There is no way imaginable that Lorenzen was looked at as a QB. He should not have been playing QB in college, for that matter. Ask yourselves how a college team with this many NFL prospects somehow managed to lose 4 games last year, and you'll find one answer: QB, and no passing game.

That being said, Lorenzen is a really big guy, 6-5 and 230 pounds, and he is deceptively fast out there, much more of a threat with his legs. He could be a good athlete, but... he hasn't practiced tackling anyone in many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes