PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Barnwell :Finally, a Definitive Super Bowl Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-preview-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/

Step into Belichick’s shoes for a second. If you’re going to try to get at the very essence of the Seattle attack, if you want to attack it at its core — like you’re the football equivalent of Jeff Goldblum’s computer virus — what do you do? Do you go after Lynch, sell out to stop the run in the backfield, and hope your linebackers clean up when Wilson chooses to keep the football? Or do you trust the interior of your line and your linebackers to slow down Lynch and emphasize to your edge rushers and defensive backs that they need to set the edge and contain Wilson at all costs?

The more I think about it, the more I think Belichick will adopt the latter approach. Staying disciplined on defense is obviously key against anybody, but it’s so incredibly important against the Seahawks because of the offense they run and the way they beat people. Avoiding the cut blocks on the backside of Seattle’s zone runs and staying in your lane help prevent Lynch from making those unholy cutbacks that seem to drive so many of his big plays.

That approach also helps keep Wilson from getting on the edge and doing what he does best. The Patriots would much prefer things if Wilson just stayed in the pocket and emulated another great Pacific Northwest quarterback of days gone by, Drew Bledsoe.​

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
Football Outsiders' is out too.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2015/super-bowl-xlix-preview

The recipe for beating the Patriots in their last two Super Bowl appearances was for the New York Giants to bring intensive pressure with just their front four. There's been some discussion that perhaps Seattle is the same kind of defense that could cause Brady the same problems. But will they? With trouble getting pass pressure in the first few weeks of the season, the Seahawks started blitzing more, and they ended up blitzing on 28 percent of pass plays this year. That ranked them 11th in the NFL.* When the Seahawks do blitz, it's an intriguing matchup of strength against strength. The Seahawks allowed 6.0 net yards per pass this year with three or four pass rushers, but that dropped to 4.7 with five pass rushers and a really stingy 3.7 with six or more pass rushers. However, Tom Brady is excellent against the blitz. Brady gained 6.4 net yards per pass with three or four pass rushers, but 7.8 with five pass rushers and 7.6 with six or more.*​

Both guys are basically saying pick um but hedge towards Seattle. I waiver and often think, and don't laugh, that Seattle is very similar to the Bills.

You never know how these things go and I don't want to jinx this team but I can't see the Pats losing this game. I just can't see Wilson beating this D. This D shut down Manning, Luck, and Rivers. I just can't see Wilson doing any better. I think the Pats won't let Lynch run and I think baring any stupid plays, the D will hold up and not give up more than 17 points. I just hope the Pats can put up 18!

There is a separate thread on this, but I'll add another link here. It is a podcast that I am listening to right now. It is lengthy (57 minutes), but thus far I would say that it is absolutely well worth the time.

The bio below from the linked site for Farrar only mentions SI, but he is (or should be) better known for his work with Football Outsiders over the last ten or so years. Cosell's NFL Matchup is by far the best Xs and Os show on television, which unfortunately gets relegated to terrible time slots by the folks running the asylum in Bristol.

Super Bowl Preview Podcast with Greg Cosell and Doug Farrar 01/28 | Football Podcasts

Who's got the best opportunity to break Super Bowl XLIX open from a schematic perspective? Which players and concepts will be featured constructs when the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots take the field this Sunday? Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN's NFL Matchup, and Doug Farrar of Sports Illustrated, break it all down in the Super Bowl Preview Podcast.​

There is a separate thread on this, but I'll add another link here. It is a podcast that I am listening to right now. It is lengthy (57 minutes), but thus far I would say that it is absolutely well worth the time.

The bio below from the linked site for Farrar only mentions SI, but he is (or should be) better known for his work with Football Outsiders over the last ten or so years. Cosell's NFL Matchup is by far the best Xs and Os show on television, which unfortunately gets relegated to terrible time slots by the folks running the asylum in Bristol.

Super Bowl Preview Podcast with Greg Cosell and Doug Farrar 01/28 | Football Podcasts

Who's got the best opportunity to break Super Bowl XLIX open from a schematic perspective? Which players and concepts will be featured constructs when the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots take the field this Sunday? Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN's NFL Matchup, and Doug Farrar of Sports Illustrated, break it all down in the Super Bowl Preview Podcast.​

Farrar seems to have the same questions about Seattles D-line that i do. How much will their injuries effect their ability to get pressure and stop the run.

Josh is gonna have to have a pretty special game plan this week.

only concern that i have is how inept we looked against flacco for 3 qtrs and how we let foresett run all over us.

but i believe it's our year. we are going to play our A game and put this game away in the masterful 3rd qtr.

Joe Flacco has (2) Smiths to throw to.

only concern that i have is how inept we looked against flacco for 3 qtrs and how we let foresett run all over us.

but i believe it's our year. we are going to play our A game and put this game away in the masterful 3rd qtr.
The run defense vs miami,jets and vs the ravens wasnt great. Its an inconsistent run defense who better turn up. If they let lynch and wilson run like the ravens did early on, its over.
I susepect seattle will come out throwing initially of play action to catch over aggressive pats defenders. Last yr in the SB I think they started with a reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down