PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggests fear for this draft: we pick offense with 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a Defense first guy but if CJ Spiller happend to be their at 22 and the best defensive player on the board was Graham or Odrick, Im going with Spiller.

Comparing this year to the last 10, this is the one year that I wouldnt mind them going TE in the 1st. We have lots of holes, and BB usually fills his biggest one with the first rd pick. Period. Of course it depends on who else is there, but unless we can get a starting DE/OLB or a trade down I think Mr.Gresham will be a Patriot. Of course alot of it has to do with the difference in talent between whats available at #22 and what will be there at #44....

I feel optimistic regarding this draft, in general, as most of us do. 4 picks in first 2 rounds, deep draft for defensive players and receivers.

The only thing I don't like is the possibility that we take an offensive player with the 1st pick at 22. If we do that, there are too many players we covet that will quite possibly be off the board when we pick at 44. Unless we moved up from 44. And thats going to cost, obviously.

Odrick, Kindle, Graham, Hughes, Sapp, Williams, McCourty, will probably be gone at 44 if we take offensive player 1st. What offensive players that could slip or will be there will we be most tempted to take?
Bryant? Spiller? Matthews? Gresham? Tate? Mike Iupati?
Thoughts.

I really disagree in regards to Spiller and possibly Bryant (depending on how he works out which is a huge issue since he basically missed the whole season). This draft is really weak at the skill positions on offense and the Patriots are woefully short on playmakers. Spiller is far and away the best breakaway threat in this draft. Bryant would bring a much needed no.2 WR to the offense.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if neither was on the Patriots radar in the first round. Bryant due to his character issues and Spiller due to not being an every down player.

I wouldn't take any of the other 4 offensive players you mentioned in round 1.

Im a Defense first guy but if CJ Spiller happend to be their at 22 and the best defensive player on the board was Graham or Odrick, Im going with Spiller.

Spiller would be a huge addition to the offense. He could be used in so many different ways as a receiver, slot, motion, wide. This kid would add speed, quickness and the yac big play threat every time he touched the ball. The screen pass would immediately be "back". Imo, if Spiller is there, BB tries to trade for multiple picks to someone who is desperate for him. If no trade, BB happily takes him.

The only offensive player I would have an issue with in the 1st is Dez Bryant. From all accounts his stock is sliding, and will continue to slide. I pray to god he doesn't slide anywhere near th Pats pick. For anyone out there who despises the thought of bringing in Marshall, this kid would be even worse.

Why would he be worse?

I"ve been down on Dunlap for a while because of his character issues. After reading that article I would be surprised if BB considered him a fit considering the red flags, lack of lower body bulk/strength, lack of growth, and overall lack of consistency as a player.

Also, I can't deny that recent busts at defensive end from Florida like Derrick Harvey and Jarvis Moss, both of which were great athletes and had off the field issues as well, seem like they could be older versions of Dunlap.

Is Dunlap the next Derrick Harvey or the next Jarvis Moss? Do you really want to risk a 1st round pick on that type of bust potential? Knowing his lack of character (blows off biggest college game of his career to drink and drive), do you really think he has the work ethic and commitment to succeed in a very complex and difficult Patriots defense with an equally demanding head coach?

Notice that New England is NOT listed as a possible destination? Would someone make the CASE for Dunlap considering the flaws exposed in this article?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back