PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Threat in the AFC East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this year the AFC East's teams have reloaded and changed alot.

The Jets and that freakshow added Tebow and Rexy lost 100 pounds. :p
The Dolphins added Ocho-nevermind and drafted a rookie QB that may be the starter.
Interesting enough, the Bills signed Mario Williams and grabbed Mark Anderson from us. I think they are actually pretty good, depending on how Fitzy plays.

Honestly, I think on paper, the Bills are the #2 team in the AFC and can actually pose a sizable threat to the Patriots this year. I think they have a better chance than the Jets anyways.

Your thoughts?

Honestly the team that gives us the most trouble will be the team who can give our Oline the most trouble. My guess would be Buffalo as they seem to have the highest chance of getting pressure on Brady with only 4 rushers consistently and playing pass D behind that. I think the jets hopes really have too many moving pieces, can their train wreck of an offense get in gear? Can Wilkerson and Couples be who they want them to be and let Rex get some pressure without blitzing?

I don't think buffalo's offense is deep enough to be a consistent threat but in a once off game, I'd give the edge to buffalo.

What's your point? Who is a few injuries away from what?

How would TEAM C fit into that analysis; the team wasn't a prize in the second half of last season, surrendering more points on Defense than Team B.

TEAM C
Offense: 24 ppg
Defense: 27 ppg
Record: 3--5

("C" = New York Giants)

3 wins and a -3 is a lot different than no wins and a -21. The Giants obviously reach their norms when the sample size is increased. They were 10-2 the rest of the year (including postseason) and beat arguably the three best teams in the league in the postseason. I think that's a rather silly comparison if you are trying to suggest the Bills could do anything comparable.

My point was that the Bills were arguably the worst team in football in the second half of the year.

The notion that they were on the rise is perpetuated in part thanks to them defeating us in Week 3, however, that required Brady's worst game of the year and a boatload of turnovers.

Why suddenly a team that was worse than the Manning-less Colts for half the year is a serious threat to us without even seeing how the team gels on the field is beyond me.

Last edited:
biggest threat???..the team gets the measles and has to be quarantined...

3 wins and a -3 is a lot different than no wins and a -21. The Giants obviously reach their norms when the sample size is increased. They were 10-2 the rest of the year (including postseason) and beat arguably the three best teams in the league in the postseason. I think that's a rather silly comparison if you are trying to suggest the Bills could do anything comparable.

My point was that the Bills were arguably the worst team in football in the second half of the year.

The notion that they were on the rise is perpetuated in part thanks to them defeating us in Week 3, however, that required Brady's worst game of the year and a boatload of turnovers.

Why suddenly a team that was worse than the Manning-less Colts for half the year is a serious threat to us without even seeing how the team gels on the field is beyond me.

They are a threat based on their dline alone. Sure they are not proven together and the offense is a hodge-podge at best. I remember a couple pats teams winning a super bowl or three based on solid defense, a decent running game (not sure what buffs oline looks like, but they assure have the horses) and a don't turn the ball over offense. If anything I'd put them on a par with the first pats sb winning team, solid pieces, decent draft with solid fa additions...

Jets are going nowhere fast, and wrecks will be taking a demotion to dc or the will be replacing dunge as an announcer in two years. Sanchize will implode, and Tebow wins them a few meaningless games once it is too late.

Miami, well I don't hate them and they seem to have realised they are flying upside down before they go jerking up on the stick (not so much for the nj rats). I think they got a few bounces and hope the new qb performs well for them, I have nothing against them. Therefore I guessed they go .500. Jests...not so much...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

My point was that any of these comparisons are silly, including the ones you made. And they're all moot because last year was last year with last year's players and locker-rooms. I'm sorry, but your analysis is just nonsense. The Giants went 3--5 to end the season and won the SB. Nobody here has the Bills winning the SB; they're just saying that Buffalo could be a threat to win the division. As I said in my post in this thread, there are circumstances under which that could prove true. As for what is or is not "silly" in that regard, we'll know in a few months. It's the NFL and anything can happen.

As for "Brady's worst game," I didn't accept excuses from other teams when we won Super Bowls and I don't accept them when they are inappropriately made in the Pats defense.

The Giants beat us twice last season, once on our home turf and once in the SB when Eli stepped up and played his best game and Brady didn't, when guys like Manningham made plays and guys like Welker and Hernandez didn't and when we couldn't recover the three fumbles the Giants put on the ground. They beat us on the field twice; we can make whatever excuses and offer whatever explanations we want, but they're all horse ****. We have to man up and accept what happened and say this is a new season.

Last edited:
yes..that is the point..a new season...here's what I think COULD happen...I think the Buffalo defense can be very good...I think Brady can handle the pressure he's going to see...enough to put up the points the Pats need to win...no one knows what OUR defense will be like yet but early returns look to be very promising...Buffalo won't be facing the same Pats D as they did last year...a split here doesn't bother me one bit.

It is what Buffalo is going to do to the Jets that has me very interested...that first game could be Murk the Jurk's swanchez song for the season...seriously, that defensive front COULD turn him into taco meat. Mark Anderson had 2 1/2 sacks against the Jets poor offensive line, Carter tore them apart,the second game away he had four sacks...Mario Wiliams sees this and has to be licking his chops. I think a dominating Buffalo defensive effort and victory against the Jets early on will grease the skids for the Raging Rhino Tip Toer in NY. A sweep by Buffalo and NE would probably be the death knell for that entire organizational structure...Woody Johnson is one helluva impatient mega rich weirdo...he will definitely react.

Miami is not a threat to anybody...they could have 15 Reggie Bush's...it won't matter

We obviously finish first and then
-the dolphins. They have a solid d and are just underperformers who I think will catch people by surprise.

-followed by the jets. Besides their oline they were solid in 2010 and just consistently gotten worse since then from blowing up their wr core to doing nothing about their oline.

-Bills. Their oline will do them in. They will start hot and then fizzle like always.

yes..that is the point..a new season...here's what I think COULD happen...I think the Buffalo defense can be very good...I think Brady can handle the pressure he's going to see...enough to put up the points the Pats need to win...no one knows what OUR defense will be like yet but early returns look to be very promising...Buffalo won't be facing the same Pats D as they did last year...a split here doesn't bother me one bit.

It is what Buffalo is going to do to the Jets that has me very interested...that first game could be Murk the Jurk's swanchez song for the season...seriously, that defensive front COULD turn him into taco meat. Mark Anderson had 2 1/2 sacks against the Jets poor offensive line, Carter tore them apart,the second game away he had four sacks...Mario Wiliams sees this and has to be licking his chops. I think a dominating Buffalo defensive effort and victory against the Jets early on will grease the skids for the Raging Rhino Tip Toer in NY. A sweep by Buffalo and NE would probably be the death knell for that entire organizational structure...Woody Johnson is one helluva impatient mega rich weirdo...he will definitely react.

Miami is not a threat to anybody...they could have 15 Reggie Bush's...it won't matter

Nothing to disagree with there. I've been looking forward to the Mario Williams v Mark Sanchez show on opening day since the schedule came out. Definitely getting the pop corn out for that one.

I think this is the year when the Bills establish themselves at the top of the "team in waiting" pecking order as Brady's career winds down.

As long as Brady is in top form, it will be a battle for number two.

Last edited:
No it is basic math. To calculate the improvement of a team you would divide the gain in wins by wins.
Then what the hell does your statement "Your math explains the increase of playing 18 games instead of 16" mean? Using the increase from wins last season to wins this season gives you a percentage independent of the number of games played in the season, which is why it's useless. If a baseball team, which plays 162 games, went from 8 wins to 10 in a season, it would be a 25% improvement by that method, sure, but it would be worthless. For a football team, playing 16 games, it's more of a legitimate improvement. My point is, unlike company profits, on which there is no known ceiling, the number of games in a season is known, and you can take percentages of the whole instead of percentages of last year's wins, which makes a lot more sense for evaluating improvement.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My goodness, they're a hopeful lot, aren't they?

The thread does, however, remind me of one of my favorite quotes from Winston Churchill:
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."
From that thread:
If Mark Sanchez can pull an Eli Manning in his fourth year.
Besides, and yes it's a big besides, Eli was pretty much the same in '07 and '06. So yes if they win the superbowl they'll have had a great season, but... um... doesn't that go without saying? I love all this revisionist history where Eli became a great QB and won a superbowl, when he in fact won a superbowl and then became a very good QB. If that's the Jets' plan for Sanchez's development... well actually hopefully it is.

"QBs don't really break out until the year after they win the superbowl."

The Giants beat us twice last season, once on our home turf and once in the SB when Eli stepped up and played his best game and Brady didn't, when guys like Manningham made plays and guys like Welker and Hernandez didn't and when we couldn't recover the three fumbles the Giants put on the ground. They beat us on the field twice; we can make whatever excuses and offer whatever explanations we want, but they're all horse ****. We have to man up and accept what happened and say this is a new season.

His worst game was against Buffalo. I was talking about the Buffalo game, and made no reference to the SB or to any game against the Giants, so your tangent is unwarranted if its directed at something I said. I'm sorry for any confusion, but I personally don't think the Giants have any relevance in this conversation.

We're talking about how bad Buffalo was down the stretch. The Colts were a better team than them - I don't see how anyone can just ignore that fact. We're basing our projections on the Patriots largely on their finish, why should we ignore how awful Buffalo was for the majority of the 2011 season? Your comparison to the Giants doesn't make any sense. Let's just look at Buffalo, throw out two outliers (win against us, win against Tebow), and that's one of the worst teams in the NFL, with one of the worst defenses in the league. Now let's base their 2012 expectations on that, and not the myth that they were a threat to us at any point in the season last year.

This fan base is grossly overestimating Buffalo. The Jets remain a larger threat.

Last edited:
They are a threat based on their dline alone. Sure they are not proven together and the offense is a hodge-podge at best. I remember a couple pats teams winning a super bowl or three based on solid defense, a decent running game (not sure what buffs oline looks like, but they assure have the horses) and a don't turn the ball over offense. If anything I'd put them on a par with the first pats sb winning team, solid pieces, decent draft with solid fa additions...

Jets are going nowhere fast, and wrecks will be taking a demotion to dc or the will be replacing dunge as an announcer in two years. Sanchize will implode, and Tebow wins them a few meaningless games once it is too late.

Miami, well I don't hate them and they seem to have realised they are flying upside down before they go jerking up on the stick (not so much for the nj rats). I think they got a few bounces and hope the new qb performs well for them, I have nothing against them. Therefore I guessed they go .500. Jests...not so much...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Because Williams and Anderson really lit the world on fire when they played together in Houston.

Last edited:
His worst game was against Buffalo. I was talking about the Buffalo game, and made no reference to the SB or to any game against the Giants, so your tangent is unwarranted if its directed at something I said. I'm sorry for any confusion, but I personally don't think the Giants have any relevance in this conversation.

We're talking about how bad Buffalo was down the stretch. The Colts were a better team than them - I don't see how anyone can just ignore that fact. We're basing our projections on the Patriots largely on their finish, why should we ignore how awful Buffalo was for the majority of the 2011 season? Your comparison to the Giants doesn't make any sense. Let's just look at Buffalo, throw out two outliers (win against us, win against Tebow), and that's one of the worst teams in the NFL, with one of the worst defenses in the league. Now let's base their 2012 expectations on that, and not the myth that they were a threat to us at any point in the season last year.

This fan base is grossly overestimating Buffalo. The Jets remain a larger threat.

Buffalo was 4-1, and 5-2, before the wheels fell off. I think it's fair to wonder whether that was a Jets/Favre situation (injury) rather than a Denver 2009 (blip prior to the collapse) situation. If it's the former, a return to health could mean good things for the Bills.

The Bills also had 19 players on injured reserve last season. On top of that, Fitz had broken ribs after a hit in Week 8 vs the Redskins. Buffalo simply did not have the depth to deal with 19 players going on IR. But hey, it's easy to overlook that fact when trying to make your point, isnt it?

The next threat

The main issue with Buffalo in the second half was Fitzpatrick and their defense dropping off a cliff with injuries. New season and everybody is healthy. The Bills and Jets both have sound to very good defenses. The difference is on offense. The Bills are far better at every position and have none of the chaos and drama that the Jets do.

Looking at the Jets, their only path to the playoffs is to have a 2000 Ravens type year where the defense just shuts everyone down and the offense chips in 10 to 14 ppg for wins. It's possible. The Jets' defense is good at all three levels and if they get a real pass rush from their youngsters, they could be a force.

But, that Jets offense is anemic. Look at their roster. How do they score points? QB is mediocre to awful with a built in distraction, no running backs that stand out - Shonn Green is the best they have. Their receivers are what - Holmes? Big deal. Who are those other guys? Jeremy Kerley? Chaz Schillens? Seriously. TE Justin Keller is pretty good but without any fire power around him, teams will focus on taking him out as an option. I don't get it.

The Bills? Donald Jones and Stevie Johnson are excellent receivers. That kid out of UConn - Easley - should have a good year with a full camp. Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are a terrific 1-2 punch out of the backfield and Spiller should have a breakout year - he is so fast and elusive. Chandler at TE is better than Keller. Fitzpatrick is smarter and has a better deep ball than Sanchez or Tebow. Everywhere you look, the Bills are just better on offense.

Defensively, both teams are impressive to me. I think it's a wash as far as which defense is better. The Patriots will still hang 30 on both of them and dare their offenses to keep up or control the clock. The Bills have a far better chance of hanging around and making things interesting.

Last edited:
Buffalo was 4-1, and 5-2, before the wheels fell off. I think it's fair to wonder whether that was a Jets/Favre situation (injury) rather than a Denver 2009 (blip prior to the collapse) situation. If it's the former, a return to health could mean good things for the Bills.

It's a discussion worth having, but I think far too many posters take for granted what the answer is.

Look at who they beat and when they beat them. They beat a struggling Broncos team (in the middle of losing its final three), a reeling Eagles team (losing its fourth straight), a reeling Skins team (in the middle of a five game losing streak), a Chiefs team in week 1 that started terribly (0-3).

They played all their teams at the right team; needed us to self-destruct to beat us (we were up 21-0 to start the game...) and people point to that start like they were competition for us.

The Bills also had 19 players on injured reserve last season. On top of that, Fitz had broken ribs after a hit in Week 8 vs the Redskins. Buffalo simply did not have the depth to deal with 19 players going on IR. But hey, it's easy to overlook that fact when trying to make your point, isnt it?

No, I referenced the injuries in my previous post.

The Patriots had 12 players on IR last year when they went to the Super Bowl, including several guys who were starters before the injury (Koppen, Carter, Dowling). Carter was one of their two best defenders on the team.

And Brady played through broken ribs just a few years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey