Welcome to PatsFans.com

Biggest shock ever: White House will write Petraeus' report

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Aug 15, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

could this desperate dicktatorship be MORE transparent?

Petraeus’ September Report Will Be Written By The White House

The Los Angeles Times reports that Gen. David Petraeus’ upcoming Sept. 15 report on Iraq will be authored by the White House:

Despite Bush’s repeated statements that the report will reflect evaluations by Petraeus and Ryan Crocker, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, administration officials said it would actually be written by the White House, with inputs from officials throughout the government.

And though Petraeus and Crocker will present their recommendations on Capitol Hill, legislation passed by Congress leaves it to the president to decide how to interpret the report’s data.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Isn't he supposed to answer questions from congressmen? I thought he was going to speak under oath and field questions?

3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Oh, hello FraudCoverage......... popping in for a little disinformation I see. Just what we all need, some THINKPROGRESS links to save the day (or as I like to call it Incestuous Amplification central :rolleyes: (yes, there is a name for it, and your site's even mentioned by name at abput :50, who knew???????).

Meanwhile, at a REAL NEWS agency (you know, one that has to actually worry about credibility) they are talking about content,. Imagine that. Hmmmmmm, that seems like a little different spin on the stuff that your preffered NEWS outlet has.

Of course you did tell us that you'd be using THINKPROGRESS exclusively for news so, it's not a big surprise.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

dear wing-flapping, personally instigating moron... if you actually read it, thinkprogress used the LA Times as their quoted source.... you know, the very source you got smarmy about... once again, from the LA Times, the exact same section you're complaining about:

And though Petraeus and Crocker will present their recommendations on Capitol Hill, legislation passed by Congress leaves it to the president to decide how to interpret the report's data. ....

The senior administration official said the process had created "uncomfortable positions" for the White House because of debates over what constitutes "satisfactory progress."

During internal White House discussion of a July interim report, some officials urged the administration to claim progress in policy areas such as legislation to divvy up Iraq's oil revenue, even though no final agreement had been reached. Others argued that such assertions would be disingenuous.

"There were some in the drafting of the report that said, 'Well, we can claim progress,' " the administration official said. "There were others who said: 'Wait a second. Sure we can claim progress, but it's not credible to . . . just neglect the fact that it's had no effect on the ground.' "​

further, tough guy.... here's more from THINK PROGRESS via another source.... you can complain about this fact also, if you wish... but oops, it comes straight from the White House:

President Bush had previously said he would “respect the command structure” and not intercede in the Petraeus report:

I will repeat, as the Commander-in-Chief of a great military who has supported this military and will continue to support this military, not only with my — with insisting that we get resources to them, but with — by respecting the command structure, I’m going to wait for David to come back — David Petraeus to come back and give us the report on what he sees.​

anyhow, it's good to see you recognizing the LA Times as a real news agency.... i'll remember that the next time you cry and complain about an alleged "liberal MSM bias"... as for your comparison... no one ever said ThinkProgress was a "news agency", so spare us all the drama...

5. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Owwwww, don't be hurt that I call you OVER DEPENDENCE on thinkprogress, it's only natural. You'd do the same if I linked EVERYTHING to Michelle Malkin, AND YOU KNOW IT.

Oh yeah LAT, is real news. It leans pretty far left, but it it real news, so long as you know how to read it.

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

translation: "i didn't read the LA Times story, nor the Progress essay, you're right... or else i would have known Progress sourced the LA Times... "

7. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Actual Translation: I rarely take ANYTHING you post serious, because you only (by your own admission) use ONE primary source for your info. It also happens to be a renowned leftist smear OPINION blog that ONLY posts information that fits it NARROW world view. That makes you one-dimentional.

Just because you pretend to be an intellectual here, and possibly have some people fooled, it doesn't mean that you have fooled actual intellectuals. Trust me, broaden you horizon, use a few different sources, perhaps a few of your own thoughts and musings and then you'll possible garner some of the credibility you seek.

Until then, I will continue to call you out for the SINGLE-SOURCED fraud that you are. Hey, on the bright side, I actually DO think your are quite intelligent, I'm just waiting for you to prove it to me. :D

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you can keep flailing your arms all you like... ThinkProgress isn't necessarily a source in and of itself... It is a news and political monitor that conveniently links to other mainstream media sources... If you have a beef with what the LA Times, C-Span, the NYT, Washington Post, BBC, CBC, Boston Globe, SF Chronicle, Chicago Sun, London Times uses to catch your heroes in lie after lie, etc., that is one thing... and hopefully you'll chime in about it with specific repudiations ... But sitting here squawking and suggesting ThinkProgress is your opponent's "only source" is really a bit pretentious and strawman of you...

Fact is, you got caught b!tching about a story's source, then used the exact source to portray it as a "real news agency", all while having never read the story in the first place... You got dumbed over twice in one blogging gaffe, and now you're attacking me for trying to "fool intellectuals"... LOL...

you're the fraud here... "Patriot"

9. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

I know you love it when I do this (quote myself and all). Read this over and try to follow along, particularly the last line. I had no problem with the LA TIMES base source. However, your THINKPROGRESS spun the article out of context to hype a secondary issue (that fit their own view), and repackaged the article to it make it appear the issue they discussed was integral to what the initial source was sating. THAT"S SPIN and it's not exactly unbiased or correct, plus YOU LET THEM make your point for you. That's what makes you a FRAUD.

In fact, you let think progress make all your point for you.

10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ACTUALLY, hypocrite... once again you're wrong... don't you ever get tired of being a charicature of the very thing you accuse your opponent of being? Fraud?

here are several examples, just in the past month, of letting various other real news sources make my point for me...

CNN:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=58512

Philly Daily News:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=58457

Washington Post:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=58247

LA Times:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=58209

truthout:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=58248

Australia's Herald Sun:
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22174921-5005961,00.html

Bill Maher:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=57932

UK's Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2127115,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Now then, would you like me to continue with a few more, or will you just keep parroting the tired old assertion of yours that I only rely on ThinkProgress to make my points?...

Regardless, i've yet to see you prove a single thing wrong that I've presented from Progress.... That's because you have nothing... Just your boring squawking about some mysterious "liberal media bias" that really only exists in the mind of the pro-Crusading Bunkerite....

"It's biased!!! CHICKAUK!! biased!!"...

11. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Oh, my bad, I see you've also used such esteemed sources as Bill Maher & truthout as well :singing:

Here's the problem with ThinkProgress, They are an EDITORIAL ANALYSIS OPINION site, and not a very fair one either. You b*tch about Michelle Malkin and Bill O'Rielly, but its exact SAME thing on the other side of the spectrum.

They all take a primary sources (such as the LA Times article), and then they post their interpretation or OPINION about what it means. It's crap 90% of the time, yet you started this thread with this big FANCY TITLE and present it as if it's a NEWS ARTICLE. It’s not a news article, it’s an EDITORIAL OPINION. There is a HUGE difference, which is why every time I see you pass off a THINKPROGRESS link as a NEWS ARTICLE, I'm calling you out on it.

Just look your THINKPROGRESS link and the initial source LATIMES.

One is an actual NEWS ITEM about the September Surge Report (with sources, vetting, EDITIORIAL REVIEW, etc...) and the other is some anonymous SHLEEP offering his/her opinion about a part of the news article. Big Whoop, what does that mean or prove. They can hype the fact that the document is prepared by the white house all they want, like it's an ominous thing, but most likely it just procedure. The meat of the report (AS THE NEWS ARTICLE PORTRAYS) is the suspected content of the report and what the good General will recommend to congress when he stands before them, not who stapling the report together. :rolleyes:

Your pimping the TP link as a news item is dishonest.

Be honest for a sec, If I stated a thread like this and presented this headline "Markos Moulitsas, DailyKOS founder covers up his joy at deaths in Iraq" along with the link to the right-side political blog LITTLE GREEN FOOTBALLS, you'd be all over it like snot, and you know it.

Think Progress is an Opinion Blog, not a primarily source for news. If you link to then, in the interest of fairness, you ought to make it clear that it a political opinion. OR you can let us do it for you.

It's dishonest to present it as news. And yes, without context, the content of the article posted in this thread is complete BS and means nothing.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

before i respond to this latest bit of deflected surrender, please display where i "bytched about Michelle Malkin?'... i mean, she's a complete fraud, but i'd like you to back up your assertion that suggests that i "bytch" about her...

here... i'll help you out... i, myself, have mentioned Malkin precisely once in my two years on this forum...... lol...

is this where you admit "my bad" again on your "my bad?"... lol

my Gawd, patriot, are you ever getting your ass kicked in this thread...

13. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Your last line is absolute proof positive I'm not. ;)

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Bill Maher, the left wings Ann Coulter :singing: :singing:

15. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

I didn't say it was wrong, I said YOUR presentation of it is dishonest............

The whole OPINION PEICE, or more important your presentation of it in the title of THIS THREAD infers that there is something nefarious with the White House authoring the progress report in the first place. It's a minor point in the article, because, as I suspected (and now confirmed), it procedural in nature and always was gonna be that way. At best your spinning this to your liking, at worst your trying to deceive everyone here.

The progress report comes out of a Congressional bill from May 14, 2007 (110TH CONGRESS 1ST SESSION H. R. 2206), the so-called War Appropriations Bill. If you look at the provisions of it (I'll let you work for it ;) ), you'll notice that part of the conditions for the authorization, was that the COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF report back with a series of benchmark issues outlined (A significant part of which dealt with Iraq stuff) within 120 days (Sept 15). It states that it has to MAKE AVAILABLE to testify to committee certain folks (Commanders: Iraq & Afghanistan, Ambassador Crocker SecDef, SecFinance, etc....). Obviously, the BIG focus is on what Petraeus and Crocker will say, but it ain't THEIR report, it's the presidents.

Congress directed that it was the responsibility of the CiC MAKE THE REPORT, and that's exactly what is gonna happen. That may piss you and your little ThinkProgress friends off, but its the way crap works in Washington.

So yeah, the OPINIONS and whining of THINKPROGRESS and YOU in this case aren't worth D!CK. That's why opinions are opinions and news is news. The report was always gonna be drafted by the the ADMINISTRATION, your are just crying about it now and trying to make it a sound like a big deal which it isn't.

Stop while your way behind dude................

-----------------------

Here's more BS Dubunking of your sh!tty OPINION site from a REAL NEWS source.

As to the jist of the article, I say he better make Petraeus and Crocker available.

16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

PC would like International ANSWER to author the report, or the CPUSA if the ANSWER boys are busy.:rolleyes:

17. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

I'm timing you, 45 minutes you been in here, I'm waiting and getting ready to your response to my pot.... Either respond, or climax in your pants. I waiting to respond to you.......... ;)

18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

my gawd... just how many times are you gonna back track or admit "my bad" in one thread? ... it's not wrong... and my presentation of it is not dishonest.... how can an opinion be "dishonest?" lol... even the Washington Post is reporting general mistrust with the way the WH is meddling... yeah, "dishonest"... oh the drama...

Senior congressional aides said yesterday that the White House has proposed limiting the much-anticipated appearance on Capitol Hill next month of Gen. David H. Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker to a private congressional briefing, suggesting instead that the Bush administration's progress report on the Iraq war should be delivered to Congress by the secretaries of state and defense.

White House officials suggested to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the House Foreign Affairs Committee last week that Petraeus and Crocker would brief lawmakers in a closed session before the release of the report, congressional aides said. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates would provide the only public testimony.​

there IS something nefarious about the WH's involvement... heck, could it BE more transparent how much it is squirming regarding the matter?... the Bush League is terrified and trying to control the message... just like it spun the Benchmark Assessment Report in July... now, you can call that "opinion" if you like, but the WP, the CNN poll, and ThinkProgress see it as clear as day... don't blame ME for them all be "dishonest"... that is your OPINION...

i understand that... and that's part of the reason why Congress failed so miserably in May, and why their approval rating is so dismal... they're letting the WH control the message, even though the WH has harped "Petraeus' report" for the past 4-5 months... it knew exactly what it was doing.....

for weeks, the White House has responded to every question about Iraq the same way: let’s wait until September and see what Petraeus and Crocker have to say. Given their credibility, the argument goes, their assessments should carry enormous weight. And on the other side of the aisle, critics of the administration have wondered how best to respond to a predictable report, written by Bush allies who have given skeptics reason to worry about their objectivity.

But this entire discussion seems to have been missing the point. Petraeus and Crocker aren’t going to report to Congress; they’re going to provide information to White House officials, who will in turn tell lawmakers how great things are going in Iraq. Petraeus and Crocker will apparently offer raw data, which the Bush gang will happily interpret on their behalf.

In other words, whether you find Petraeus and Crocker credible or not is irrelevant. Their much-anticipated September report will have their names on it, but will be ghost-written by the least credible sources the nation has on Iraq: the Bush White House.

actually, the opinions of us all are of great importance... especially now that evidence exists that suggests the WH is already trying to shape and control Petraeus' message to congress... and that's a big deal to people who say they don't trust the Bush League... which supposedly includes you...

you can flap your wings and squawk "Congress made it so" all you like... the overall fact here is that your Bush League is frantically scrambling to further spin Petraeus' already tepid spin on the situation in Iraq... it is my OPINION, and the opinion of a majority of Americans, based on extensive and objective readings on the situation, that the surge is not working, the Iraqi government will not come together until we leave, and that the civil conflict there has not subsided, but in fact gotten worse...

-----------------------

again, you've precisely "debunked" nothing...

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i'm busy doing other things at work... if that's alright ...

20. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Understood...... you got sh!t. Okay, no prob... :D :singing: