Welcome to PatsFans.com

Biggest Rival: Colts or Jets

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by GrogansArmy, Nov 22, 2010.

?

Who is our biggest rival?

1. Colts

55.4%
  2. Jets

45.7%
  3. Steelers

1.1%
  4. Some other team (reasoning please)

1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrogansArmy

GrogansArmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

For me: The Colts.

Although I hate the Jets more. IMO rivals are someone you respect, and I have zero respect for the Jets.

I think even Steelers are more of a rival than Jets. Then probably Miami.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. JustEndTheSeason

JustEndTheSeason Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Colts, than Jets

I say Colts solely because the Colts have been more competitive. We face the Colts every year, and every year the game comes down to the wire and anyone can win it. The Jets on the other hand have only recently put together a good football team. They haven't really been that good in the past 10 years, and we only saw the Jets in the regular season, while we saw the Colts in multiple playoff games. The combination of the Colts being a better team, and the fact that we saw the Colts in big games makes the Jets rivalry less meaningful. I do think Jets-Pats will become more intense soon though, for the Jets have assembled a good squad and look to make a serious run at the division every year.
  3. BoTown

BoTown Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's the Colts, their main AFC rival for the past decade.

The Jets are next up as there is history with the Tuna Bowls, the Mangini era, and the Wanna-Be Ravens era.

The Patriots and Steelers are rivals like the hammer and the nail are rivals. Patriots own them...Pittsburgh won both their SB's without having to go through the Pats to do it, and they know it.
  4. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hands down, the COLTS.

If you asked this question when Bill Parcells was coaching the Jets, it would be the Jets. To a lesser extent, when Mangini was coaching the Jets, they were a big rival but still not to the extent that the Colts were. Helps (overall) that we play them twice a year and they are in the AFC East.

Now the Colts were in the AFC East, which is where the rival started. Now that they are in their own division, they are HANDS DOWN the Patriots biggest rival.

The reason?

Start with the Belichick vs. Manning rivalry. Belichick owned Manning in the early 2000s, despite Manning building his resume as the best QB not named Favre.

Then bring up the Brady vs. Manning element. Is there a QB match up that reaches the height of this match up? Both could be considered the most successful QBs of the last decade, setting NFL records and winning championships.

And of course, the playoff match ups that opened the door to Super Bowl victories by each team. Twice, the Patriots had to go through the Colts to win the Super Bowl. The Colts had to overcome a huge deficit to make it to their NFL Championship.

Since the Jets are good, they are our best inter-division rival... when the Dolphins are good and the Jets aren't then it will be the Dolphins. I guess you got the NY vs. NE thing, but that is more applicable to baseball since we all know that the Jets play in Jersey and not NY.
  5. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

Jets. No question for me.
  6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 57 / -71

Disable Jersey

Dolphins. The rest are all fighting for 3rd place.
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Jets have no talent. The Pats and the Colts have been in 6 Super Bowls this decade. That's where the rivalry is.
  8. GrogansArmy

GrogansArmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I can't believe almost half think Jets are our biggest rival.

It boggles the mind!
  9. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0

i think you might get a lot of jets or dolphins answers from the older members, who dont just know this past decade

i am not one of those, and this is the only decade of football that ive truly lived, so the colts

the steelers are in teh same boat as the colts, but to a much lesser degree
  10. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

You really can't answer this question because rivalries change all the time,as a rival becomes a bad team the rivalry fades away.

The jets were never really big rivals because in the 90s they sucked pretty bad,back in the 90s it was the Dolphins who were the biggest rivals.

If a team in the same division is good like the Jets then it is a rivalry but there is no bigger rivalry..maybe in history than it is between Manning and Brady

Therefore it's an easy answer ...at this time it is the Colts,in 10 years it will probably be some other team.
  11. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

this year it's the JETS by far but if your going for all time it's...

#1 dolphins
    #2 steelers
    #3 colts
    #4 jets
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

I really hate the Jets, hate their fans, puke green colors, their management and their team. The pick then becomes easy, I want to see the Pats win every time.. we play Indy maybe once a year. We play the Jets twice a year.
  13. Kulko

Kulko Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For me as a relative new Pats fan, this is a no-brainer.

A rival needs to be someone, who is your equal, so it can be only the Colts or steelers, and between these two its obvious who wins out.

But even within the division, I would have seen the Fish as a natural first choice, the Jets only getting important in the last few years and that also only due to the whole BB vs Mangini thing. The Jets might fight us this year for the title, but thats just a division race not a rivalry.
  14. zoostation

zoostation Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The JetSkins are a "one hit wonder".

They will be back to sucking for another 10 years. Pitt and Indy are the true rivals and have competitive teams year in and year out.
  15. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

I can't believe this is really a question. Jets then Colts.
  16. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 3 / -1

If Ryan and Sanchez put together a few consecutive seasons where they are in legitimate contention for the Conference Championship (last season was the result of a couple of lucky breaks and so it isn't the starting point), then I'd maybe start to think of them as a rival as big as the Colts, but until then, it's the Colts, hands down.

Otherwise, I put the Fins and Jets in the same category: divisional rivals who always play us tough and with whom there is occasional bad blood.
  17. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +179 / 38 / -16

#32 Jersey

Its NY vs Boston. Not to mention all the bad blood between the franchises.

Jets hands down.
  18. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +179 / 38 / -16

#32 Jersey

The Colts used to be in the same division as NE and facing them wasnt as big as facing NY IMO.
  19. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 5 / -2

#51 Jersey

Colts truthfully. New England has owned the Jets like there's no tomorrow in recent times. Until they start winning their fair share of games and perform in the NFL they don't have a patch on what Manning and the Colts games have been.

That said I dislike the Jets far more than the Colts.
  20. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +536 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Yeah, the Jets are rivals, but only in the last fourteen months has it been anything but a rivalry of the hammer and nail variety. The Colts rivalry has been intense for years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.