PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Referee game-fixing scandal ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's been proven in college with a handful of admissions over the past 20 years and I can only imagine how many more games - especially in college hoops - are point shaved. It's much harder to do at the pro level but if we're throwing out guesses, you really have to wonder who Neil O'Donnell was throwing those two passes to against the Cowboys. I think last year's game was terribly officiated but in O'Donnell's case, they would have only had to get to one guy. Amazing that both those interceptions turned the momentum of the game. Just a thought.

I think we should start a thread on "Sporting Events Most likely to be fixed over the last 10 years". That would be interesting...

Last edited:
I thought this was a post on the Colts no defensive pass interfence, no illegal contact season of 2005.

PonyExpress said:
I think we should start a thread on "Sporting Events Most likely to be fixed over the last 10 years". That would be interesting...

*ducking behind something* quite possibly Super Bowl XXXVI... the officiating was at least suspect...

NFL refs are all part-time hires. It's probably way easier to pay them off than players who are already millionaires and have much more to risk.

Fixing is soooo big in soccer, especially in Italy. There have been allegations that Juventus fixed games for the past thirty years. Numerous occassions where goals against the team are waived off with no explanation whatsoever. Berlusconi, who's roughly the Italian equivalent of President, has been known to buy referees rolexes before matches. His club and Juventus control the board that assigns referees, so if a ref makes a call against them, they often find themselves officiating "minor league" games.

There's a great book called, "How Soccer Explains the World," that explains a lot of it and the differences between sports here and world soccer. An owner in Serbia used to point guns at opposing players during half time. Can you imagine an owner doing something like that here? Well, maybe Steinbrenner lol

PonyExpress said:
Maybe a bit of hyperbole... Referees fixing games in Europe. Impossible in the US in college and pro sports? With the proliferation of sports betting, we are naive to think so....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/05/12/bc.eu.spt.soc.juventuss.ap/index.html

Another interesting thing to note: AC Milan's owner is former Italian PM Berlusconi who recently resigned amid allegations of corruption in his cabinet. He has quite a reputation for his past shady dealings, including mafia ties. It does not surprise me at all that his team would be centrally involved with this, although shaving points is not how a team becomes a 6-time champion

BruschiOnTap said:
NFL refs are all part-time hires. It's probably way easier to pay them off than players who are already millionaires and have much more to risk.
Except a lot of them are already millionaires in their own right...

Soccer SUCKS! Take it to the OT forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty serious, although more evidence is needed.

Inter Milan may finally win the scudetto!

drew4008 said:

Does that make you feel more American? :rolleyes:

This doesn't seem that big to me - I've lost a ton of money betting on the Washington Generals over the years... my bookie keeps telling me that "they're due" for a win, but it seems to me all the non-calls on travelling and other blatant fouls suggest the fix is in with the refs.

I mean, since when is it legal to pull a guy's pants down in the middle of a game? And isn't it travelling to walk down the court with a ball spinning on your finger?

I guess basketball is just one sport I don't understand.

drew4008 said:

If it makes you feel better, we'll just call it futball.

PonyExpress said:
Maybe a bit of hyperbole... Referees fixing games in Europe. Impossible in the US in college and pro sports? With the proliferation of sports betting, we are naive to think so....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/05/12/bc.eu.spt.soc.juventuss.ap/index.htmlhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/05/12/bc.eu.spt.soc.juventuss.ap/index.html

I think it would be a big mistake to assume it couldn't happen in US sports. It would be pretty easy to do; a QB could have a really bad game, start deliberately throwing picks and so on. Italian football is incredibly corrupt and has been for years, as others have said. It's a shame because they are very good at the game and have produced some really good teams. I wonder if it also goes on here in the UK, but we're too arrogant to believe it would- we tend to be a little like that as a nation, I have to say.

DGameguy said:
Fixing is soooo big in soccer, especially in Italy. There have been allegations that Juventus fixed games for the past thirty years. Numerous occassions where goals against the team are waived off with no explanation whatsoever. Berlusconi, who's roughly the Italian equivalent of President, has been known to buy referees rolexes before matches. His club and Juventus control the board that assigns referees, so if a ref makes a call against them, they often find themselves officiating "minor league" games.

There's a great book called, "How Soccer Explains the World," that explains a lot of it and the differences between sports here and world soccer. An owner in Serbia used to point guns at opposing players during half time. Can you imagine an owner doing something like that here? Well, maybe Steinbrenner lol

you are making a lot of cunfusion my friend...
the team VERY involved is Juventus. MIlan is involved only partially and for 'limited' cases.
for Juventus is different...

the soccer is 'sick' not only here infortunately...

i loved soccer till 20 years ago but i have 'left' it since many many years

BruschiOnTap said:
Another interesting thing to note: AC Milan's owner is former Italian PM Berlusconi who recently resigned amid allegations of corruption in his cabinet. He has quite a reputation for his past shady dealings, including mafia ties. It does not surprise me at all that his team would be centrally involved with this, although shaving points is not how a team becomes a 6-time champion

again...Juventus is involved a lot not Milan AC...and only a couple of teams are involved in the big scandal

drew4008 said:

i agree with you. i hate soccer and i love NFL

Seymour93 said:
Looks pretty serious, although more evidence is needed.

Inter Milan may finally win the scudetto!

at the end we discovered Inter was a 'good team

gomezcat said:
Italian football is incredibly corrupt

not only Italy if you want to be honest in yr thinking...
soccer is generally 'sick' - this is the reason why i hate soccer since many many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes