PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest questionmarks facing our AFC foes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go with your first statement about Denver. They're going to be a force this season. Just like the Pats, they are playing situations to get their team ready and to see how players fit. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing long lasting can ever be gleaned from these games at this stage.
And of course, just like the Colts. The Cowboys, on the other hand, seem to feel like winning in the preseason will carry over into September. Just look at the number of carries Barber got versus the Colts.

For the most part-the Cowboys and Broncos held joint practices all last week, so it was impossible for Phillips to "game plan" for that game anyways.

With that being said, the Broncos played all of their starters throughout the first half, Dallas sat out some of their key starters(Newman, Owens, Glenn, Adams, Julius Jones and Columbo) throughout much of that first half.

Texans- A year after deciding to draft DE Mike Williams instead of Vince Young or Reggie Bush, they went and drafted Amobi Okeye, a DT that was passed over by his own former HC in college, and it was certainly not because of needs, as Petrino decided to draft Jamal Williams at DE. So many have decided Okeye will be a certain bust. Their defense has holes and division teams like the Colts and Jaguars will love playing them on Sundays.

In most cases the head coach has zero say when it comes to drafting first rounders. Rich McKay is the GM and he does the personnel stuff in Atlanta and he was responsible for Dungy's Tampa Bay defense. On the Atlanta site Petrino's biography only mentions Petrino's resume as a head coach and doesn't say anything about his ability to judge talent or anything personnel related. As far as I can tell he is to coach McKay's players. The only thing I know about Okoye is that he is very young(19 or 20) but has a lot of experience from staying at Louisville for four years. Okoye may bust but the reason why has nothing to do with Petrino.

In most cases the head coach has zero say when it comes to drafting first rounders. Rich McKay is the GM and he does the personnel stuff in Atlanta and he was responsible for Dungy's Tampa Bay defense. On the Atlanta site Petrino's biography only mentions Petrino's resume as a head coach and doesn't say anything about his ability to judge talent or anything personnel related. As far as I can tell he is to coach McKay's players. The only thing I know about Okoye is that he is very young(19 or 20) but has a lot of experience from staying at Louisville for four years. Okoye may bust but the reason why has nothing to do with Petrino.

I had these thoughts on draft day, but after reading this courtesy http://www.profootballtalk.com, a very respected football insider, it's hard to disagree.

POSTED 12:35 p.m. EDT, August 18, 2007

ANOTHER WHIFF BY THE TEXANS?

There's already talk in league circles that defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft, could be a bust.

The 20-year-old rookie from Louisville received plenty of hype in the run up to the draft. But the opinion of some is that he is undersized and not strong. As one source said, he's the "creation of a good P.R. campaign," and "there's no way he's a first-round pick."

Okoye already has been overshadowed in training camp and the preseason by Rams nose tackle Adam Carriker, the 13th overall selection. Carriker appears to be poised to make an instant impact at this level.

In our view, the biggest red flag regarding Okoye was raised when his college coach, Bobby Petrino, drafted defensive end Jamaal Anderson instead of Okoye. If Petrino, who had prior NFL experience, believed that Okoye could excel as a pro, Petrino surely would have taken the known commodity over the unknown quantity.

If Okoye falters, he'll be the third first-round pick on the Texans defensive line that has underachieved, including defensive tackle Travis Johnson and defensive end Mario Williams.

The 20-year-old rookie from Louisville received plenty of hype in the run up to the draft. But the opinion of some is that he is undersized and not strong. As one source said, he's the "creation of a good P.R. campaign," and "there's no way he's a first-round pick."

Okoye already has been overshadowed in training camp and the preseason by Rams nose tackle Adam Carriker, the 13th overall selection. Carriker appears to be poised to make an instant impact at this level.

I agree that Okoye received hype leading up to the draft and I agree that Carriker is much better.

Rich McKay may have received some info about prospects from Petrino but Petrino did not make the 8th selection in the draft. McKay made the selection. For all we know Petrino may have given a positive endorsement to McKay for Okoye and McKay still went in the other direction. Most head coaches do not get the first rounders they want even if they are available when their team is on the clock. We know Romeo and Savage do not see eye-to-eye. Most head coaches are hired to coach the team and that is all. Petrino was hired to make Vick more productive.

I had these thoughts on draft day, but after reading this courtesy http://www.profootballtalk.com, a very respected football insider, it's hard to disagree.

POSTED 12:35 p.m. EDT, August 18, 2007

ANOTHER WHIFF BY THE TEXANS?

There's already talk in league circles that defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft, could be a bust.

In our view, the biggest red flag regarding Okoye was raised when his college coach, Bobby Petrino, drafted defensive end Jamaal Anderson instead of Okoye. If Petrino, who had prior NFL experience, believed that Okoye could excel as a pro, Petrino surely would have taken the known commodity over the unknown quantity.

If Okoye falters, he'll be the third first-round pick on the Texans defensive line that has underachieved, including defensive tackle Travis Johnson and defensive end Mario Williams.

Well, as soon as they said that Mario Williams under-achieved I knew not to put too much credence in the article. Honestly, the guy has played ONE season and his supporting cast isn't great. But anyone who says that teams aren't weary of Mario Williams is a fool and really doesn't watch football.

As for Okoye, he's 19. He's the youngest player in football. It was a lot more than HYPE that got him drafted in the 1st round. He has talent. Its a matter of what he does with that talent and how the Texans teach him to use him talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes