Welcome to PatsFans.com

Biggest One Month Rise in Unemployment in 33 Years- How 'Bout Them Stimulus Checks!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by shmessy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={6B9B2E20-06E8-4FC0-AD5A-3029D5057F89}

Really? I'm sure those $300 and $600 stimulus checks (for those who got them) has really eased the pain. Oh yeah, that was really worth the extra $155 billion added to the deficit.

George W. Bush has so screwed our country it's not funny.

I'm not even talking about political views of left and right here.

All I ask is for some COMPETENCE in managing the affairs of my country. His father did a decent job. Reagan did an overall good job (given what he inherited). Clinton did a great job. Carter did a terrible job.

It's not a D or R thing. Just looking for COMPETENCE.
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Re: Biggest One Month Rise in Unemployment in 33 Years- How 'Bout Them Stimulus Check

Scanning the choices............ I'm thinking you might have to wait a couple more too.

P.S. I still don't have my freaking check yet.
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Re: Biggest One Month Rise in Unemployment in 33 Years- How 'Bout Them Stimulus Check

A perfect chest bump is also competence ......I am just saying.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Job losses were actually better than expected, Liberals are trying to use the unemployment rate both ways - when it stays low they say people have quit looking - when it rises, though, is it because more people have started looking ? Of course not.

Call it the biggest rise in 33 years, go ahead. How about pointing out that 5.5% is still a very good rate ?

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/j/jensena/sfp/us/rec_unem.htm

5.5% is very much is the better 50% of unemployment rates.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

If you're SS # has a high ending (last 2 digits), and you are recieving your check by mail, you won't get yours till July. I haven't recieved mine yet either. My check, by mail, will be delivered in early to mid July.
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Yup, that's me....... Thanks.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I'm sure you're going to dole out an equal amount of incompetence pie to the Dem led Congress/Senate who not only walked in lock step with GW on this, but also felt compelled to add an extra $30 billion onto the original total. I know, leadership starts at the top. However, that doesn't mean it rests there.

Did McAmnesty & Obama vote for the $155 Billion?
  8. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

1) "Better than expected" - - playing the expectation game? That sounds like Terry McAuliffe.

2) C'mon, BF, you know as well as anyone else here that those unemployment numbers have been cooked to the positive for years now. It does not count the "Discouraged" numbers which used to be counted. Discouraged workers are workers that have not sought employment in the past four weeks because they believe there is no work for them.

Read the last line of that report:

"A broader measure of unemployment that includes so-called discouraged workers rose to 9.7% in May from 9.2%".

If you want to compare it to historical numbers use the REAL number - - 9.7%.

3) My wife is an Executive Recruiter for a Fortune 100 company. This is NOT a healthy jobs economy at the moment - - and there's no blaming 9/11 or, alternatively, any bounce from the big tax cuts of the Bush years. It's flat out terrible economic performance after 7.5 years of malpractice from the top.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  9. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

You bet. It was stupid. However, the stimulus is an ineffective bandaid for the the flood of bad economics malpracticed upon us by George Walker Bush. The Dems should be derided for being the little Dutch Boy holding back the flood with his finger - I'm on board with you there. The flood MAKER however was the Bush Administration with their "think only of today and not of tomorrow" blind tax cutting strategies while spending hundreds of billions of dollars for "anti-terrorism" in the wrong theater.
  10. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I've never been unemployed. So, maybe I'm missing something here.

Those who "stopped looking are not counted in the unemployment numbers? And, if I ever were unemployed and needed the job to provide for me and my family, I don't think I would ever stop looking. How do you stop looking if you really need the job?

But that's just me.
  11. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

For 4 weeks+, Nut.

Here's a good summation of the term from the Heritage Foundation:

http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/wm389.cfm

And look closely at the definition - it's not because they don't CARE to interview - - it's because there are no interviews currently EXISTING in their job field.

It was counted in years past but not anymore. BF was saying that 5.5% is better than 50% of historical unemployment rates - - however, if you're going to compare apples to apples, let's be accurate.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm not saying things are good. But this rate is like a derivative in calculus, it's the rate of change that's most important. Last night, 60K job losses were expected - we got 49K. That's good. Relatively.

Not sure I buy that - and I don't know about your wife's company but the relatively small number of people I know are with companies that are mostly hiring. The problem with my small window into the country is good jobs are getting more difficult - technical, scientific, financial, jobs that need good educations and too many kids aren't choosing to finish high school and go to college. Well they aren't going to get good jobs. The days of leaving high school and making real good money by building something with your hands are going away unless you start your own business in a trade or the like.

Again, I'm not a Bush guy. I didn't vote for him in 2004 and probably won't vote for McCain in 2008. But I'm not about to blame Bush for worldwide oil demand, using food for fuel and for companies leaving the country because workers elsewhere will do the same job for less.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

What I want the Libs here to do is tell me what you would do to solve the problem - other than raise taxes. And don't say get out of Iraq because we can't for now.

Become more protectionist and raise prices here while hopefully keeping more jobs ?
    Start drilling for our own oil to lower the price of oil ?
    Stop using food for fuel and stop sending our food overseas ?

I'm tired of hearing BUSH SUCKS, this is an election year, how would you create more good jobs and slow inflation ?
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hey Shmess, out of curiosity--I know you blame GWB for a lot or most of this, and I won't argue (one because I'm tired and cranky today, and second because my heart just wouldn't be in it for various reasons), but I do wonder...why do you figure it is? How much of it is related to tax cuts (full disclosure, I don't agree tax cuts cause problems, judging from the revenue going into the treasury), how much of it is Iraq, and how much of it is simply that between GWB trying to be a "compassionate conservative" (whatever the eff that is) and the democrats in congress (and some "R"s, sorry to say) spending more and more all the time?

GWB graduated from Harvard Biz after all. Despite popular opinion, he can't be a complete dolt.

So what caused the problem? Runaway spending?

I'm not going to be able to articulate it very well, but I blame the whole city of DC. The air, the culture, something in the water, I don't know. But to me, insisting on spending money like they're printing it (oh wait, they are) is going to destroy the country. And there seems to be no sign of it being stopped or even slowed. When one side wants to slow the growth rate from 8% to 6% of some program, and the other side starts screaming that it's a cut and poor kids are going to starve, there's a real problem.

So we're left with people that don't know how they're going to pay for their winter fuel--meanwhile Congress is standing there with both hands out saying "gimme gimme gimme more!"...so that they can turn around and give "fuel assistance" and say that it's the fault of our opponents that we have to do this.

It's raining and chilly and raw and grey here, and the stock market is responding to job numbers and a new oil spike, and that just about sums it up.

Jefferson said the tree of liberty needs to be watered with blood (paraphrase) periodically. I think it's getting to be past time we took our country back.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

Tax cutting isn't the problem. Have you seen what tax "revenues" have been? What's up with democrats always looking to raise taxes? Lower taxes has proven, throughout history, to spur the most growth, and return the highest amounts of "revenue" (I put it in quotes cuz I use the term sarcastically) to the fed. The critical component is government spending. You can't write checks for $100, when your only earning $50. This is simple, basic stuff. The tax cuts haven't hurt the economy. If anything they've proven to help it. Spending is the problem. Spending, and the illogical manipulation of interest rates for over a decade now.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

It's called the welfare state. 10-20 million illegals are here working for a better life I've been told. How about we kick them out so that the 9% people are talking about will be employed/
  17. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not a "Lib" (assuming you meant liberal) but here's my idea.

I'd close the borders in Iraq. Seal off Iran and Syria. Anyone crossing the borders would be subject to being shot on sight. Then mount a full scale operation to destroy as many cells as possible, then put all troops around the oil fields and infrastucture and leave the cities to the Iraqis. They can defend themselves or not.

Then I'd pull all US troops out of everywhere else. Screw Germany, and if NK wants SK, have at it.

Then I'd start developing oil reserves in the Gulf of Mexico and off Florida, and I'd start building at least 3 new refineries. I'd try to do it the same way Bob Kraft built Gillete--get it done the fastest way possible and don't spare much expense but don't go crazy.

That creates many jobs, all the way downstream.

Then I'd start a new alternative energy program. If I were POTUS, I'd make the Secretary of Alt. Energy a cabinet post, screw the current Energy department. Do you know they were working on genetically altering soybeans so they'd produce an oil that would be more lubricating, wouldn't break down at higher temps and wouldn't congeal at low temps? That needs to be looked at, as well as other things.
    I'd invest in programs that would make it easier for homeowners to install solar panels. If each home in a new development was built with a lightweight solar panel on it's roof, tied into the grid, there's a huge help right there.

We'd have to stop giving so much in foreign aid. Screw it--we don't need to pay for every other country in the world.

I'd develop good trade schools too--so that a high school kid could go to school cheaply for a couple of years and get a certificate in things like the best way to install solar panels, how to run a business, stuff like that.

I'd also eliminate the caps on social security. There's no reason not to pay in past the first 100K (I believe that's the cap?). I'd means test all government programs from social security to military disability.

I'd decriminalize drugs and tax them the same way cigarettes and whisky are taxed. Imagine the cash savings there.

There's a lot more, but I need more coffee.

BTW, BF--who'd you vote for in 04?

Oh yeah--and all kids would have to take an econ class to graduate HS--or get a GED. They'd learn all about taxes, and credit and so forth.

And I'd have a flat tax. Not exactly the Steve Forbes one, but close.
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I voted for Bush in '00 and the Libertarian in '04. Bush fooled me once, but I can't get fooled again, or whatever he said :D
  19. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Hey BF, out of curiosity, are you going Barr this year? I would if I didn't have grave concerns about Obama getting into office. Barr's one of the sensible Libertarians from what I've read/heard.

A.paul, love the Jeremiah Johnson avatar.
  20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Once again, I am FOR Tax Cuts. I am AGAINST Tax Cuts when there is runaway spending and deficit building. That is BLIND Tax Cutting.

If GWB had merely stayed to what he promised when running in 2000 - - to cut Washington spending, then I would be in favor of tax cuts.

I tell all my clients, go ahead and splurge a little on yourself when you're ahead of the game. But splurging on yourself when you're behind is foolhardy and economic suicide.