PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest off-season need(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point 1 shouldn't even be a point because we are not talking about developmental here, we are talking about a receiver who has HOF talent and work ethic. Whatever situation he goes to and that's including NYJ, OAK, TEN he is a pro bowler at the least.

Point 2 has to be solved based on need. Do you feel that giving up late 1st rounders getting 2/3 Easley's is worth it to get someone like Cooper? No brainer for me.

Point 3, that's far down the road where as with Tom you are in win now mode.

Point 4, you are for sure not wasting any picks if you take a guy that is dominating college football at the position in a pro style fashion not seen for a long time.

One more really important thing, have you seen how humble and hard working Cooper is? There is not a locker room better than our own he fits better in. I don't think i've ever seen him celebrate a 1st down.
To be clear, you're suggesting trading our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2016 1st for Cooper? That is about what it would cost to move into the top 5. Belichick has a way of running the team that you seem not to like. The patriots under Belichick are not trading a bonanza of picks for a college wide receiver. It's not happening.

The only position that I could see us trading up that high for is LT. However, I don't see this happening as I expect that LT will be solved long before the draft. Cameron Erving seems a much better choice for us than a pure OT or a WR at 32.

To be clear, you're suggesting trading our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2016 1st for Cooper? That is about what it would cost to move into the top 5. Belichick has a way of running the team that you seem not to like. The patriots under Belichick are not trading a bonanza of picks for a college wide receiver. It's not happening.
The only position that I could see us trading up that high for is LT.

We are not talking about a flash in the pan with top talent that could work. This is somebody that will work on the level of Calvin Johnson, he's that good. No offence but no way would i condone trading up for a LT.

What everyone is saying about Cooper at the WR is what people were saying about Luck at the QB position. Sorry for being too ambitious.

I think that we are fine at center and on the right side with five players.

C - Stork
RG - Fleming, Wendell
RT - Vollmer, Cannon

If anything, I would consider extending Wendell again. Cannon is going nowhere.
Marcus Cannon was terrible during the 2014 NFL Season no matter what position he played.

Besides, Fleming is much more of a RG than an OT.
Not this bunch of bull crap once again. Fleming played exclusively at offensive right tackle while at Stanford. Fleming played exclusively at offensive right tackle during preseason for the New England Patriots. First, it was posters grasping at straws with Cannon starting at offensive guard, now it's Fleming.

It is the left side that needs the help. Our possibilities are Solder, Connolly, Kline, Devey, and Barker. All could be gone, or not.
Nate Solder is not worth over $7 million per season especially with 4 concussions on his medical file.

Dan Connolly will be a 33 years old next season as well as an unrestricted free agent.

Barker, Devey, Hauptmann, Kline don't belong in the NFL.

Needs: A LG (similar to Logan Mankins when he was drafted) also it has the added benefit of improving the play of Solder. Solder's plays suffers with all the changes at LG. One play against the Jets, Solder was left to block 3 Jets while the LG was in La La land looking for someone to block.

I also would like to see another TE other then Hooman. I hate seeing Solder being used as a blocking TE. Hooman is good enough to make the roster but he is not much of a threat.

A backup tackle better then Devey.

Down further on the List: A scatback to backup Vereen, I am not sure yet if James White is the answer.
Vereen played on an injured ankle and the offense was not as dynamic. We have 7 RB, too many of one type and not enough like Vereen.

Maybe another LS other then Aiken

The depth and quality of the team players has been trending up.

I ditto that. I'd go all out for a receiver so this Dobson/Tyms/Boyce/any other JAG project can finally end then i'd just go crazy on o-line for at least 4 rounds because it's that bad. Personally i see a determined Ridley come back (on a cheap prove a point deal) and smash his own yardage record so no need to go high for an Abdullah/Gurley etc.

Since you think that the receivers the Pats drafted are not that good, how can you have confidence that they would be any better drafting another one. They had a chance to draft Dez Bryant but passed on that in favor of draft picks from Dallas.

Since you think that the receivers the Pats drafted are not that good, how can you have confidence that they would be any better drafting another one. They had a chance to draft Dez Bryant but passed on that in favor of draft picks from Dallas.
and got mccourty. thats a win

Point 1 shouldn't even be a point because we are not talking about developmental here, we are talking about a receiver who has HOF talent and work ethic. Whatever situation he goes to and that's including NYJ, OAK, TEN he is a pro bowler at the least.

Comparing the backyard offensive schemes of the NYJ, TEN, and OAK (or Alabama) to the extremely complex offensive system used in N.England is totally pointless.

We've seen other great receivers attempt to come here and fail, some of them great receivers who were experienced in the NFL previously, and some of them rookies who came from the NCAAs. It's certainly not a "sure thing" that ANY wide receiver would definitely pan out if they were drafted in N.England, so yes---it's certainly worth noting as a bullet point.

Having raw talent alone doesn't mean anything. That said, I agree that I'd consider taking a shot at a guy like Cooper, but when you take into account the fact that Belichick hasn't chosen to do this with the same kind of talent (if not better) such as AJ Green, Julio Jones, Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Calvin Johnson etc, it certainly doesn't appear to be much of a possibility. The move would not show value due to having to part with a ton of picks.

Last edited:
Not this bunch of bull crap once again. Fleming played exclusively at offensive right tackle while at Stanford. Fleming played exclusively at offensive right tackle during preseason for the New England Patriots. First, it was posters grasping at straws with Cannon starting at offensive guard, now it's Fleming.

Cameron Fleming played RG just yesterday, and looked okay doing it. That's at least 2-3 games in his rookie season where he's been used at guard. One may assume that he'll at least get looks there in the future, or at least the coaches seem to hint at that. Only time will tell.

I agree that this sidetrack on Amari Cooper does not get us to where we want to be.

Here's the thing: I do not think I evaluate talent better than you, English Patriot. I do think that the Foxborough brain trust evaluates talent better than either of us.

When folks here start trotting out the names of the most amazing [name the position] EVAH on this board, I tend to tune it out.

Likewise, when I see people saying "OMG we have so many needs, where to start???," in a season when we've just clinched HFA, I start wondering what a mediocre team would look like to you guys.

Of course you always want to get better. No doubt. However I love the balance and depth we've shown this season. I would not hate having the next great receiver waltz into camp. Going for the highest-priced, diamond fretboard les paul does not, however, make you a guitarist, and going for the "proven talent" at the NCAA level does not make him an outstanding receiver in NE's game.

When you say "Imagine LaFell, Edelman, Gronk, AND Amari Cooper," that sounds great. But imagine them if Cooper turns out to be really good against NCAA talent and not against NFL talent in an NFL system. What have you lost? Usually not that much in a rookie year, if you structure it (as you should) as a "prove-it" year. But you're still looking at a couple of million at least, then more in "dead money" as you go forward. Maybe you've lost some depth on D or some in-season replacement money (how would that have affected us this year???) Maybe you go with a JAG instead of a more capable starter -- or backup -- on the O-line. You get the picture. Of course the big downside is the crap-shoot that is the fantasy skill-positions - it may all be for nothing. How many rolls in the crap-shoot do you give up for that one "surefire" receiver? You can only make so many "all for nothing" deals.

And my boy's not even from Rutgers.

There are guys who are paid to decide the odds of success in each case, the cost of trying to make the bright shiny new toy work, etc. As pointed out above, the brain trust - to this point - has really not gone that route. When they try to, it hasn't worked out.

If they try again... whether the name is Amari Cooper or Devin Funchess or somebody else whose stock soars in the 3 weeks before the draft... You can count on me to say "meh they're smarter than me" until they admit it didn't work. (Chad Jackson, we hardly knew ye.)

But I'm not a big one for obsessing on one name at the college level. I'm not a big fan of tearing out my eyeballs when the Pats "reach" in the draft according to ESPN or NFLN or some magazine I picked up at CVS. They draft the guy they think will have the best ROI/has the best upside, based on who is on the board and whether they think that guy will be there for the next pick (knowing that they are drafting against 31 other real GMs and scouting staffs, not against glossy magazines or ESPN or NFLN).

I didn't see many people with Gronk or Hernandez on "their" draft boards before we picked them in the same draft. That was BB going in a completely different direction and once again smashing the expectations at that point in the draft.

So it's not that I'm saying that the magic solution won't be that one big-name wideout. I just don't think it's likely, picking somewhere in the late 20s and especially picking at #32, where we should be picking this year :).

I also don't see this as an underperforming bunch or one devoid of talent. NO WE DON'T have ONE dominant wideout, and yes we could use some firepower. I think something above the JAG level and something below the "big splash" level is a good call - I'd also hope we start to get more out of the guys we do have but never see on the field.

Give Brady time, and he'll make a decent wideout out of a cast-off, and a star out of a decent wideout. Don't give Brady time, and you'll have a "weapon" sprinting downfield past the man he just beat with a double-move, and Brady on his back. Sort of a binary way to phrase it, but that o-line talent is huge to me, as is the ability to stop the other guy, and that starts with the probably very expensive Darrell Revis.

Last edited:
Marcus Cannon was terrible during the 2014 NFL Season no matter what position he played.

Nate Solder is not worth over $7 million per season especially with 4 concussions on his medical file.

Dan Connolly will be a 33 years old next season as well as an unrestricted free agent.

Barker, Devey, Hauptmann, Kline don't belong in the NFL.
Why did they Resign cannon do you think?

i love nink. i like the value and love his character. but i sometimes wish we had a more athletic version of nink. somebody instinctive like nink, but with much better lateral agility and closing speed.
Nink is currently leading the team in sacks, QB hits and QB pressures. Not sure why everyone always is trying to get rid of him.

I could see drafting 2 ot and cutting solder and vollmer. Don't know why cannon can't play guard he has the build for it.
Why on earth would you cut Vollmer?

Literally can't pinpoint one because there is so much so i'll just say OFFENSE. No defense (maybe a compensatory pick on a safety) but we need to go all offense. WR, OL (G & C), TE, RB are all needs
This is really ludicrous, given the team just locked up the #1 seed.

Nink is currently leading the team in sacks, QB hits and QB pressures. Not sure why everyone always is trying to get rid of him.
Who wants to get rid of him?

Who wants to get rid of him?
The post I replied to. Although i suppose get rid of is too strong a word. but if you're hoping for 'a more athletic version of nink. somebody instinctive like nink, but with much better lateral agility and closing speed' you're probably planning on playing him, no? On top of that, it's a sentiment I've seen a number of times here, people ragging on him as though he's a problem and not one of their better defensive players.

6m in new money this year and next. If he can play lt then keep him. Seems like he whiffs a lot.
He's a borderline pro-bowler.

The post I replied to. Although i suppose get rid of is too strong a word. but if you're hoping for 'a more athletic version of nink. somebody instinctive like nink, but with much better lateral agility and closing speed' you're probably planning on playing him, no? On top of that, it's a sentiment I've seen a number of times here, people ragging on him as though he's a problem and not one of their better defensive players.

73 starts 35.5sacks, 5 INTs, 9 FF. Clearly they've been asleep for the past 4 years.

Hes been a very good defender for this team.

Gronkowski – 6’6”
Wright – 6’4”
LaFell – 6’3”
Dobson – 6’3”
Tyms – 6’3”

We actually have a lot of tall targets.

But only Gronk and Lafell see the field, they refuse to play Tyms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back