PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Head Coaching Loss This Offseason.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In your opinion who suffered the biggest loss of their teams Head Coach...Is it - Bill Cowher? - Marty Shottenheimer? or Bill Parcells?

I would say its Cowher of all 3 guys and for primarily 2 reasons...

He was the coach there the longest of the other 2 by a landslide and HUGE pressure is on any candidate for Pittsburgh due to the fact that the tradition and tenure of head coaches there is extremely impressive (only 2 since 1970)

And as the second reason why I think losing Cowher is worse than the others is...

I think of all 3 teams his team is the least talented and weakest of the bunch which puts even more pressure on these new head coaches leading their new teams to the top and the new head coach at Pittsburgh is a much longer shot to have his team make the playoffs next year than the other 2 in Dallas and San Diego.

I think Cowher checked out throughout the season. You would see him staring on the sideline whereas in years past he would be screaming. He was suffering from burnout. Plus he ws stubborn to not take out Big Ben who just made very bad decisions and the injuries caught up with him.

I think the biggest loss could be the Chargers because they will have to adjust to a new coach and Marty was able to handle the personalities of Shawn Merriman as well as a rookie QB.

All the losses are about neck and neck. But I think Cowher checked out early in the season.

I don't have a firm view one way or another, but, for discussion's sake, I'll argue as follows:

1) Cowher's is the least costly loss because the Steelers are a veteran team who know how to win. Losing a long time coach is indeed a big deal, but the team has the internal resources to deal with it. They are coming off a sub par season that can be chalked up to Big Ben's Boneheadedness and an early season, post SB letdown, so they can go into next season looking for a fresh start with a new coach.

2) Parcells' loss is a wash. On the one hand, he's a HOF coach who had the confidence of a demanding owner. On the other hand, he didn't get it done in four years, even to the point of winning a playoff game. Time for a new face.

3) The Marty loss is the most significant, not because he's better than or even in the same league with the other two, but because of the chaos that surrounded his departure, not to mention the multiple other coaching losses. This is a talented but relatively inexperienced team that put together a great run but that needed true and consistent leadership to take the next step.

Last edited:
In your opinion who suffered the biggest loss of their teams Head Coach...Is it - Bill Cowher? - Marty Shottenheimer? or Bill Parcells?

I would say its Cowher of all 3 guys and for primarily 2 reasons...

He was the coach there the longest of the other 2 by a landslide and HUGE pressure is on any candidate for Pittsburgh due to the fact that the tradition and tenure of head coaches there is extremely impressive (only 2 since 1970)

And as the second reason why I think losing Cowher is worse than the others is...

I think of all 3 teams his team is the least talented and weakest of the bunch which puts even more pressure on these new head coaches leading their new teams to the top and the new head coach at Pittsburgh is a much longer shot to have his team make the playoffs next year than the other 2 in Dallas and San Diego.

in my opinion, it is shottenheimer because of when the change was made. it is mid february and they are just now beginning to look for their coaching staff. this puts their organization back a few weeks in the offseason, and in the nfl a few weeks is a long time.

1. Not so much Cowher's loss, but hiring Tomlin is a mistake. No knowledge of the 3-4 will hurt the team.

2. The game has passed Parcells by, his 8-13 post-Thanksgiving record is an exclamation point.

3. The REAL 2-headed monster on the SD team was Cam and Wade. Without them, Marty wouldn't be nearly as successful. This team is *this* close to holding up that Lombardi Trophy, a change really needed to be made.

Did Cowher run a 3-4 before he came to Pittzburgh? And when did Pittsburgh convert to 3-4? I know Noll used to run a 4-3 as the basis of the Steel Curtain, and in another thread someone said that Kansas City had never run a 3-4, but that was era when I wasn't a sophisticated watcher of football so its beyond me.

So who put the 3-4 into Pittsburgh? LeBeau? Capers?

The whole San Diego situation gets my vote, loosing the coordinators and now the HC.. puts them into an interesting situation... remember in the past I believe after the first SB we won, there were comments about how many teams were ahead of them preparing for the season and draft. SD has no coaching infrastructure and a GM on the ropes, while Pitt and Dallas has big shoes to fill there are no shoes in San Diego right now. We are now two weeks post superbowl, most teams seem to be hunkering down looking at what they have, making decisions about their roster, developing free agency plans and San Diego can do nothing, that has to really hurt that franchise.

Chargers.

I think Tomlin will do okay and the Steelers have most of their core players.

Parcells was not doing much in Dallas really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back