PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone here think that Kight turned the wrong way on that endzone corner route? the announcers were lambasting Cassel, but I think that Moss, Gaffney, Caldwell, Welker, Watson, Vrabel, Stallworth, Brown and a few others would have made that catch

I tend to think you are right.....I wasn't overly impressed with cassel out there....but that one play did not look like his fault......i don't think kight will be here long do you?;)

WINNERS
Gaffney, Harrison, Gay, Kaycur, Gutierrez and Rogers.

LOSERS
Mills, Mays

Yeah, Kaczur looked like he had something to prove, didn't he? And Rogers - albeit against second-teamers - made a bigger impression in two hours than he had in weeks of camp. Also very surprised at Gemara Williams' speed returning kicks. I thought Criqui said "jamaal" and I thought the Pats had picked up a free agent KR.

I was disappointed in Lua and Bissinger (my pet undrafted project) and Mays, although I didn't expect much from him. I was initially appalled at Sammy Morris' performance, although he brought me back with his two pounding runs for the TD drive. He's no slasher, that's all.

Going to see the Titans. Hope more guys play, but it's a lot of fun to watch the second- and third-teamers.

I wonder why BB kept James Sanders out of action. I couldn't see the game, but I recall hearing that he wasn't on the field, unless someone can correct me. Same for Pierre Woods.

I'd ask the same about Artrell Hawkins, but then I remembered that I don't give a frig where he was. He could permanently forget how to get to Gillette Stadium altogether and I wouldn't be too broken up about it.(And yes, I know he was among the leaders in ST's tackles, but I think we might be ok in that department without him.)
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/08/2nd_defense_1.html
2nd defense
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots first-unit defense is done for the night after 17 plays. Of those plays, Mike Wright replaced Ty Warren for the final 15. Warren has remained on the sidelines and does not appear to be injured.

The second-unit defense consists of:

DE: Kenny Smith
NT: Le Kevin Smith
DE: Santonio Thomas
OLB: Justin Rogers
ILB: Oscar Lua
ILB: Corey Mays
OLB: Chad Brown
CB: Brandon Meriweather
CB: Tory James
S: James Sanders
S: Rashad Baker
Regarding Artrel, I don't believe he can go an entire season as a starter, and there may be a better reserve S. That said, I would really like to see him on this team when they hold the next Vince up, I think he has earned some love for past effort even if he is slowing down on us.

Flying Fungi said:
does anyone here think that Kight turned the wrong way on that endzone corner route? the announcers were lambasting Cassel, but I think that Moss, Gaffney, Caldwell, Welker, Watson, Vrabel, Stallworth, Brown and a few others would have made that catch

I tend to think you are right.....I wasn't overly impressed with cassel out there....but that one play did not look like his fault......i don't think kight will be here long do you?;)

Why were the announcers lambasting Cassel when he was standing on the sidlines watching Gutierrez sail that pass? LOL

There were only 2 extended drives all evening that led to Patriot's scores. Cassel led the first against the Tampa first string defense for a TD, and Gutierrez led the second against the Tampa third stringers but had to settle for a FG. If you can't watch a pre season game in context, I'm not sure what the point of watching it, let alone analyzing it, is.

Why were the announcers lambasting Cassel when he was standing on the sidlines watching Gutierrez sail that pass? LOL

There were only 2 extended drives all evening that led to Patriot's scores. Cassel led the first against the Tampa first string defense for a TD, and Gutierrez led the second against the Tampa third stringers but had to settle for a FG. If you can't watch a pre season game in context, I'm not sure what the point of watching it, let alone analyzing it, is.

my bourbon addled mind recalled cassel...regardless, i'm a fan, not a zealot...which is why i am not a member of www.patszealots.com...

You are, however, a member of www.patspsychos.com, whether you know it or not. :D

which should come as a surprise to no one

marty_feldman300.jpg
http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/marty_feldman300.jpg

The whole first quater was the "Kevin Faulk Show".

For me, Anam was never in the running for a roster spot, so I don't list him any more than I might list Dunlop as a winner.

I wasn't as impressed with Washingon as most; however, you are all correct he is a winner. He is now a real competitior for the last WR spot. Of course, that also makes Caldwell a loser.

Add Washington in there as a winner too....and you missed one of the biggest losers of last night....could cost him a roster spot......L. Anam......

FWIW, I think Gutz played really well in his first playing time in the NFL......while I am still not sold on Cassel being able to get it done.....

I think play calling was a loser. I know it's supposed to be basic stuff for the first PS game but when you are in the later stages of the fourth quarter, have a fairly decent drive going for a go ahead score, and its fourth and two; and then you call for a 'hail mary' bomb which has extremely low chance of any success(other than a penalty)! I was dumbfounded to say the least. That single play gave the game away IMMHO!! In my opinion, one of the most important attributes of a winning team is to have a winning attitude. So even if it is a PS game, you do not call loser plays at critical moments. Just look at the message this sends to all the new guys.

It was hard game to gauge, no one really did much of anything. Should be a little more energy next week. I don't think anyone made the roster but some players like Anam put themselves in the front of the 'to be fired' line

Winners
- Tom Brady did not get hurt.
- Gemara Williams looked very good returning kicks
- Rogers made some nice plays but still looks slender, could use some bulk
- WRs made the cathes they should have
- Elgin got a lot of reps, he didn't do anything to standout but he didn't give up a sack or get any penalties either
- Faulk looked good
- Ghost was booming his kickoffs (one went out of bounds but most of the others were touchbacks)
- the street FA TE (Wiley?) looked ok
- blitz packages, inside , outside, Thomas going from different angles.. 3rd down is going to be fun

Losers
- run defense, and not just the second tier, I expect a very physical practice this week and won't be surprised to see Seau on the field on early downs once he gets healthy
- it is a little scary that this could be the starting offense if Stallworth and Moss have hammy issues and Maroney misses any action
- O Line was solid but still appeared to have issues with speed rushers, Gaines Adams made a few nice plays
- serious issues setting the edge by the OLB
- Morris looked slow
- Kareem Brown has a lot of technique work to do, he looked out of position a lot

I added this in late, see Breer's post below. I saw Moore at training camp and is a huge man. Standing next to the other DTs he looked very big. Smith looked more like a 3-4 DE / NT, Moore is nothing but a NT in our scheme. He seemed to hold the point ok last night, watch out for 63 (there are two of them, he is the one on defense)

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1409
From Breer " Keep an eye of Rashad Moore. He looked real comfortable in the defense in the second half, and could push Le Kevin Smith and Kareem Brown for a roster spot. The way he comes off the ball and uses his hands makes him look like a poor man’s Wilfork, and having a true nose to backup would be a nice luxury to have."

Last edited:
Garret, Garret...you're killing me man. I don't want to see you become a Star with Tennesse or Houston or God forbid the Jets. Get it together kid...PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back