PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big wide receiver or tight end debate – Amaro or Benjamin at #29

Note: This is not meant as an endorsement or anti-endorsement, merely an expression of a fact.

Kelvin Benjamin posted this on Instagram:
BjCFE2JIQAImh_8.jpg

Then again, there's also a photo of him wearing a Panthers hat (which is a sign that he is aware of what's going on in the NFL. ;) ).

I think it is a Seahawks hat, so maybe he is a Brandon Browner fan.

I still think Brandon Coleman is in play for the Pats. In answer to this question though, considering BB has never drafted a first round WR, one has to say TE over Benjamin. And I too think ASJ rather than Amaro.

Edit: And I would take ASJ @29.

I would not draft either player at 29.

History have shown that BB Loves TE's this years class is not as good a I originally thought. The Big Three are Ebron - Amaro and ASJ I think those three are Impact guys who would immediately give us back the Middle of the field. BB's draft board is not like everybody elses he is known to make some wt.. selections. I would love a TE in the First! right now we Don't have any.:cool: I don't think this board as a whole like Amaro but I do and hope BB does too.

I would literally punch myself in the balls for half an hour out of sheer anguish if I stayed up till like 3am, only to see us draft Amaro or Benjamin at 29. I would sooner trade out of RD1.

I would literally punch myself in the balls for half an hour out of sheer anguish if I stayed up till like 3am, only to see us draft Amaro or Benjamin at 29. I would sooner trade out of RD1.

Personally, I like the trade down and then a Tavon Wilson type pick...

Personally, I like the trade down and then a Tavon Wilson type pick...

I agree. I'm rooting for a no name projected 7th rounder or UDFA type to be drafted the 2nd round for the entertainment value provided by the homers defending the pick on this board.

Not a TE at 29? If the Pats had a decent TE in the last few playoff games and SBs.....

Seems like one of the most important parts of the team. More then a good DT or Lb that isn't LT.

Amaro has been labeled a TE-WR from highlights he looks more gronkish, KB looks more like a big WR.

they say Amaro isn't strong enough..1st among TE's 28 reps, KB 14, not the only factor for strength, but he doesn't seem week

Jace Amaro describes impressive interview with Patriots - NFL.com

And I still have hopes for Mark Harrison (who could play as a big WR, or as a WR/TE hybrid). That's 3 guys almost 6'3" and 210#+, 2 of whom have 4.37 speed.

As I posted elsewhere, right now we have a very young and stable set of WRs from a contract perspective, and at reasonable cap cost:

- Danny Amendola (turns 29 in November): signed through 2017 (though he could be a cap casualty as early as 2015)
- Julian Edelman (turns 28 in May): signed through 2017
- Aaron Dobson (turns 23 in July): signed through 2016
- Brandon LaFell (turns 28 in November): signed through 2016
- Josh Boyce (turns 23 in May): signed through 2016
- Kenbrell Thompkins (UDFA; turns 26 in July)): signed through 2015
- Mark Harrison (UDFA); turns 24 in December): signed through 2015

If 1 or 2 of the youngsters develop, the Pats will be in great shape. The low cap cost of the position is something that can't be emphasized enough, IMO.

If we get really lucky then Aaron Dobson will get stronger in his upper body and will develop into a Demaryius Thomas type of #1 WR, with Lafell playing an Eric Decker kind of role, and Edelman as a younger version of Welker. Add in Gronk, and possibly another TE, plus the other guys for depth, and we could have a really strong group of receivers. It could take another year for the youngsters to develop (and they could easily fall flat, it's obviously not a given), but if things fell right we could be sitting pretty at what was considered a position of weakness (how often have we said that!).

The other piece of the equation is getting the RB position stabilized for the long term. Vereen will hopefully get extended, and either Blount locked up for a few years or an alternative brought in (I'd love a RB with receiving skills like Knowshon Moreno, though that's a long shot).

Short of the TE position - which I believe can be addressed in day 3, unless someone like ASJ falls into our lap - I don't think that the offensive "skill" positions are an issue. We need to address the lines in the draft, on both sides of the ball.

On a tangent from your post, I too also have high hopes for Mark Harrison; there aren't many guys who are 6'3" 230 that run 4.3 40s. If BB was signing LaFell for to be a "big slot" or move TE like AH was, I think Mark Harrison could have been an equally good option than LaFell.

How do Mark Harrison's and AH's numbers compare in their "movement" and "explosiveness" metric? (pretty sure it was you who had a metric based on their combine numbers)

I think our OL is a bigger priority than the Dline, we have young talent like Siliga, Armstead, Chris Jones and stil have Vince and Tommy. If Vince leaves, we could at another guy but I still believe OL and TE are bigger priorities. If we can build an Oline that gives Brady a lot of time and can run block, our offense is golden.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0dT-NkLFvo

I don't see value in a TE in the first round, so I would rather go oline in the first, grab Niklas in the second, Dline in the third, and then double dip in TE and oline in the later rounds.

At pick #29 if Jace Amaro and Kelvin Benjamin are both on the board whom would you choose.

Personally, I am learning towards Benjamin over Amaro and then drafting a true in line tight end like Fiedorowicz deeper in the draft.

I'd take Benjamin as well and I like Fiedorowicz in the 3rd (don't see him lasting until the 120's, don't see Niklas lasting until 62). I don't think KB will last that long though and it looks like WR is a FA priority/solution. My guess would be it's going to be trench warriors early.

I can't see it. I doubt he'll last beyond the top 40 or so. Believe me, if I could get Easley at 62 it would make things a lot easier:

- Trade back from 29 to about 40 or so, picking up an early 4th
- Take ASJ or Amaro at 40
- Take Easley at 62
- Take the best available OL at 93. Hopefully someone like Joel Bitonio, Marcus Martin or Weston Richburg is still available.
- Hope that one of Christian Jones or Jordan Trip is available in the early 4th.
- Hope that one of Antone Exum or Phillip Gaines is available with our 4th round pick.

Unfortunately, I doubt other teams will cooperate enough for that to occur. My best approximation of that is to take Easley at 40 and hope Troy Niklas lasts to 62. That's pretty much my draft plan, unless the Pats can swing a trade up for Aaron Donald.

If they can't get Donald and found no trade partner would you take Easley at 29? I think I would if he checked out medically. I know some would not call it good value at all but he is the kind of DT I would like to see the team add. I like Ellis,Reid,Sutton and Kerr but I just don't think they are as good of bets as D Ez.

Amaro by far....and yes I would take him at 29.

Damn man! That's intense. Thanks for the laugh this morning though!

May I ask why are some of you guys down on Amaro?

I'd suggest therapy but I see your Irish like me so I know that simply won't work.:)

“This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.” -Sigmund Freud

Neither of the above. Papa needs a new pass rusher.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back