• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Patriots have until 2/25/10 end of business day to decide what to do with Big Vince.

Because they haven't tagged him yet, they could still be working on a long term deal. There were reports that the Patriots offered him $20-$23 mil in bonus money but he had declined it. Or, they are at a total impass and now the Patriots will wait until they have to pull the tag trigger.

So now the question is: What will happen by the end of business 2/25/10?

Let's see what the thinking is on this.

I'm going to laugh if we find out Wilfork turned down ridiculous numbers by the Patriots, while we all sit here and blame everyone but Vince for this. Remember, the fat dude is only on the field so much for defense, breaking the bank for him probably wouldn't be the smartest long term move.

He'll obviously be Franchised - after that . . .

My gut says he'll get the Samuel treatment, he'll play in 2010 with a "no Franchise" promise for the offseason.

So that's what I think will happen.

I would trade him if we can't sign him and assuming a good offer (#1 pick this year or next) is made.

Starting 3-4 line up with a trade even a rookie in there as of now

Novkinavich,woods as OLB

Pyor,Wright and ty as DL.

We should just take him out back and kill him. That way, we won't have to pay him and we don't have to worry about anybody else picking him up.

If they have indeed offered him what they reportedly did, then they want to keep him. Doesn't mean it will come to pass. But on that basis I think they might exclusive tag him as a means of showing "respect" in the form of another million or so in the face of not being prepared to give him what he really wants on the eve of a lockout, a close to Haynesworth deal or his freedom. I don't think he'd get that deal on this open market, but IMO he'll find that out vicariously early in this FA. Then maybe the team can reel him back "all in".

We should just take him out back and kill him. That way, we won't have to pay him and we don't have to worry about anybody else picking him up.

LOL That's what they should have done to Asante...although tagging and trading him was my first choice, and would have probably worked out better...'cause even if we drafted his replacement and he blew chunks in that SB he'd have gained valuable experience we could have built on...

Last edited:
I think that the big question is when do they get to stop worrying about the 2009 cap.. I say this because of the recent attempt by Miami to cut Joey Porter, but they were informed they couldn't because they didn't have enough space under the cap..

Maybe they should sweeten the $23 mil offer with and all you can eat, for life, at any Patriots Place restaurant?

Maybe they should sweeten the $23 mil offer with and all you can eat, for life, at any Patriots Place restaurant?

Wait, would we be talking about the life of the restaurant, or the life of Wilfork? If it's the former, don't bet on that life being a long one.

He'll obviously be Franchised - after that . . .

My gut says he'll get the Samuel treatment, he'll play in 2010 with a "no Franchise" promise for the offseason.

So that's what I think will happen.

I would trade him if we can't sign him and assuming a good offer (#1 pick this year or next) is made.
I absolutely cannot figure out the logic for renting a player for a year to wind up with nothing. Any G.M. should be shot for agreeing to the "no franchise" condition. Trade the S.O.B. to the Lions if he wants to languish the remaining years of his career. That would be a "fun" four year contract Vince.

You have control over where you send him and for what. That is the way it should be. Pick up Cody and you have Cody, Brace and Pryor for the NT. NO VINCE BUT SOLID DEPTH.
DW Toys

I absolutely cannot figure out the logic for renting a player for a year to wind up with nothing.
It's not what I would do but it's what we did with Samuel and it's what my gut says happens here too.

I absolutely cannot figure out the logic for renting a player for a year to wind up with nothing. Any G.M. should be shot for agreeing to the "no franchise" condition. Trade the S.O.B. to the Lions if he wants to languish the remaining years of his career. That would be a "fun" four year contract Vince.

You have control over where you send him and for what. That is the way it should be. Pick up Cody and you have Cody, Brace and Pryor for the NT. NO VINCE BUT SOLID DEPTH.
DW Toys

This is different in that no one knows if there is going to be a lock out in 2011. No one knows what the new CBA will look like. So if they tag him, I don't think that they will tell him they won't do it again.

With the lock out a possibility, Big Vince would be wise to grab as much bonus money as he can even if it's the $23 mil. It's hard to make up a years $ in the NFL.

Franchise then trade, then 43! Derrick Morgan, welcome aboard....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes