PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Sey Needs to Step Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He's played soft this year. If the old adage - games are won or lost in the trenches - is true, we should be favored against Cincy. Our D-line > their O-line and our O-line > their D-line.

But Big Sey has been soft this year, no question about it. Time for him to dominate.

QB12

Last edited:
hes been soft? I dont think so. He's been double teamed and still doing a decent job. His plays allows people like Jarvis Green to make big tackles/sacks.

QB12 said:
He's played soft this year. If the old adage - games are won or lost in the trenches - is true, we should be favored against Cincy. Our D-line > their O-line and our O-line > their D-line.

But Big Sey has been soft this year, no question about it. Time for him to dominate.

QB12

I have to disagree. Most teams realize that if they want to beat the Pats D they've got to eliminate #93 (Thank you Don King). That's why Ty Warren has been such beast this year. They are running plays away from him or throwing two blockers on him...and I can't say that I blame other teams for doing that.

oldskool138 said:
I have to disagree. Most teams realize that if they want to beat the Pats D they've got to eliminate #93 (Thank you Don King). That's why Ty Warren has been such beast this year. They are running plays away from him or throwing two blockers on him...and I can't say that I blame other teams for doing that.

I agree with you. He did have some more luck getting into the backfield when they played 4-3 against the Jets. Harder to double-team him then. When they play the 3-4, I think his value is making it easier for the other linemen and linebackers. Just my take.

Big Sey sometimes needs a wakeup call and I think he needs one now. He has been inconsistent so far. He needs to turn it up a notch.

This is kind of like the Brady needs to play better idea. Our QB is lacking certain targets but stiil, he isn't at the top of his game, that is without debate.

Now, King Richard may be getting double teamed etc., but he either needs to extend his influence so more big plays on the line can be made by other guys he is supposed to freeing up, or he needs to assert himself in a way to make more plays himself because the front seven isn't very scary right now no matter how you look at it. I love Big Sey, but if you're going to take the pay you've got to make the play, plain and simple.

Last edited:
QB12 said:

QB12

Without getting into boring statistics Seymour had 16 tackles last year after three games(THE MOST FOR HIM) and he has 16 this year after 3 games. Seymour's game is about so much more than tackles as we all know. So if he has the same tackles as last year I would think it's safe to assume he's playing at least as good as last year.

In the last two games the TDs given up by our defense were due to long pass plays with poor tackling by the defensive backfield. Yes the Broncos were more successful running the ball than the Bills or Jets but they are a solid running team that can run on most people when their offense is clicking. There are certainly people that need to step up on the team but Seymour doesn't even make my top ten list. Ofcourse I don't have a top ten list of "Pats that need to step up" but it is something to think about

In an uncharacteristic moment of lucidity, Madden commented on the # of tackles Warren has made lately, saying, of course, if they don't run at him, they have to run at Sey. Warren's performance should even up the #s a bit. he's been a beast. I don't make too much of Denver's success, they do it to everyone. If any one holds them to 2.5y/carry this year I'll revisit it. It'll be interesting to see how Warren, Wilfork, Tedy, Rodney and Vrable handle Cincy's "flood right" running play.

This is the same as last year, Seymour struggled against Oakland and Carolina, then played well against Pittsburgh. Warren is a little quicker this year and is making more highlight plays, but he remains the anchor for the run defense and was just as dominant last year, without all the flashy backfield plays. Sey was hurt and didn't regain his full form until 2/3rds of the way through the season. Without going to NFL.com's play-by-play, I have the impression that most longer runs attack Sey's side of the line...

Warren over the previous two years IMO was a top 10 Defensive Tackle against the run. I wouldn't be surprised if statistically, by year's end, he is the best. As for Seymour, thus far he has been mediocre against the run. He was handled 1-on-1 by Gandy on several decent runs by McGahee in week 1; the Jets have no running game to speak of and he was up against a rookie, so we can't give him much credit for stout run D there; And Denver ran against him with success on several occasions. Part of the reason is the OLBs are inconsistent at setting the edge; Mostly, it's because the 3-4 is about teamwork, responsibilities, consistency and discipline and it takes a few games for the interlocking parts to hold firm . Soon, he'll buckle down and do the dirty work in the trenches like nobody else alive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back