PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Opportunity vs Rams for Patriots Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The St. Louis Rams have the youngest and smallest group of receivers the Patriots have faced yet this season. This receiving corps has none of the threats that Seattle had, and no big play guy that stands out.

St. Louis Rams 2012 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - ESPN

It's been discussed elsewhere about how young the secondary for the Patriots is and I've contended a number of times that defensive backs do not come into their own in the NFL until they have four or five years in the league. Young corners and safeties have flashes, but do not exhibit the kind of steady playmaking that we were used to with Harrison, Law and Milloy until they are 26 or 27-years-old.

This could be a good week for the defense.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if Amendola plays this week. This is a non-conference game so it doesn't count as much when it comes to tie-breakers. In my opinion the Rams would be better off sitting him, giving him two more weeks off as next week is a bye - rather than risk re-injury and not having him for the second half of the season.

As far as the other Rams receivers go the guy to keep an eye on is Chris Givens. His strength is speed and being a deep vertical threat - exactly the type of receiver that the Pats secondary has had the most problems with. In each of the last four games he has at least one reception of 50 or more yards; on the other side of the ball the Pats have given up a league-worst 38 pass plays of 20 or more yards.

Brandon Gibson compliments Givens; Gibson is a much better route runner, more of a move the chains type of receiver.

The Pats have struggled with opposing tight ends but it doesn't look as if the Rams have anybody that can exploit that weakness.

Even without Amendola I wouldn't write off the St. Louis passing game, especially against this pass defense. The biggest weakness the Rams have is with their offensive line. The Pats need to take advantage of that and consistently (not just once in a while) get to Bradford before he has a chance to set his feet and before his receivers have a chance to run their routes.

Until otherwise said. It will be a big opportunity for the opposing QB against our secondary. The formula is for our offense to get a multi score lead (3 preferred) going into the 4th quarter.

In other words. If Sam Bradford has been riding the bench on your fantasy football team, this is the week to start him.

Considering last weeks Defensive Backfield for the Patriots totalled less than 6years experience.. expect pretty much the same as last week..

Only the biggest homer/fanboy could honestly think it will be a "big day" for the pats secondary. The only way they have anything remotely resembling a "good" game is if the offense go nuts and the Pats get up three touchdowns. When the Pats have big leads is when they get interceptions in bunches - see Buffalo this year, Buffalo last year, Chicago in the snow a few years ago.....Lets go Pats, show us something....

I picked up Brandon Gibson off the waiver wire and plugged him into my starting lineup over Steve Smith. I won't feel as bad about the secondary playing like shiz if I can at least benefit from it.

Stat line for the top opposing WR the last 5 games

rec-yds-TD
6-127-2
2-90-1
9-180-0
3-81-1
7-120-0
Avg
5.4-119.6-0.8

No es bueno.

LOL....my two late grandmothers could light up that secondary.... great thread to jinx that already pathetic secondary.

Couldn't we have said the same exact thing going against the Jets? Jets are arguably worse at QB and reciever, and we got lit up, very fortunate for the big drop at the end and Sanchez sucking so bad he missed an easy TD on Dennard's pick.

Plus, even though Seattle has some 'threats', their pass game really hasn't done jack against other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes