PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big day

Status
Not open for further replies.

phimseto

On the Roster
Reaction score
...today is the first day I could bring myself to log onto patsfans.com since before the Super Bowl. I guess the healing is underway.

Welcome back. There are plenty of us masochists who never left, but it's nice to see that the healing is making progress.

I agree, I'm not completely there yet as I still have flashback moments that make me cringe and mutter WTF, but at least I'm sleeping thru the night and though I have been lurking this is my first posting in some time.

I guess the healing is underway.
I was on here 5 minutes after we lost :(

Discussing the defeat and getting a sense of perspective from fellow pats fans was the best way for me to move on :rocker:

Discussing the defeat and getting a sense of perspective from fellow pats fans was the best way for me to move on :rocker:

Same here, I remember when the forums went down that night, going over to the temporary ones to try and discuss it. But people deal with it in different ways, and that's fine.

Well, we all mourn in our own way. I was in New York at the time, so even though I was surrounded by people, I was very much alone in my sorrow. It made for an interesting ride out of the city, though. I think pretty much every unused 4th of July firework and firecracker were set off over the next couple of hours after the game.

...today is the first day I could bring myself to log onto patsfans.com since before the Super Bowl. I guess the healing is underway.

welcome back. many of us found this to be an excellent place to "heal" and I suggest that you scroll back and find some of the threads that started shortly after the game.

and i love your tag line: "ESPN delenda est"! Brilliant, funny and a product of a classical education.

You are NOT alone. Welcome back to reality. And gear up. Because we're getting it done next year!

and i love your tag line: "ESPN delenda est"! Brilliant, funny and a product of a classical education.

Well, in honor of the seemingly soon to depart Patrick Swayze, I'll explain my tag line by referencing one of his more subtle and nuanced works, "Red Dawn".

The Colonel: All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Robert: It keeps me warm.

I've long since written off ESPN, who have taken it upon themselves to be the moral scolds of sports, while maintaining their track record for self-indulgence. They're like hippies (ESPN of the 80s, early 90s) who got older and turned into yuppies (ESPN of the last ten years).

My disdain for ESPN helped fuel my passion for this past Patriots season, and it certainly played a large part in why I went so incommunicado with any form of media. My dad's first comment to me post-Super Bowl was "you should hear Mercury Morris running his mouth..." and I interrupted him to say, "Stop. I don't want to hear anything more." I didn't need to hear and I still don't. I can imagine quite clearly what is being said. Whatever lingering nostalgia I might have had for the channel went away when they had Earl Campbell (I think) in for an interview in January. The guy was clearly in no condition to be interviewed or the cogently express his thoughts, but they put him out there just so they could have a headline about "NFL Legend blasts Pats".

Getting away from ESPN and back to the Patriots, I have to say this: besides the pain of the loss, the first thing I felt after the Super Bowl was an immense pride in the organization. Free agency in professional sports has pretty much sapped my interest and left my fondest memories in childhood. I always rooted for the people, not the laundry. I think sports is primarily about the people and it's why I love Boston sports fans so much. They'll boo Cal Ripken for twenty years, and then in his last visit to Fenway, they'll give him three-minute standing ovations each and every at-bat.

The Patriots handle the free agency paradigm better than any other organization, even though it sometimes means saying good-bye to players you wish could stick around. They pride themselves on conducting themselves a certain way. They bring in troubled players and give them a second change. They don't hang anyone out to dry publicly and they don't play the blame game (unless an individual blames themselves). The organization is invested in the greater New England community through its various charitable works. The team is owned by someone who tries to cut the average fan as many breaks as he can, even while coping with the economic realities of fielding a top-tier team. If there was ever an organization to root for in any sport, this is the one.

I hope they win another Super Bowl (and soon).

I never left.:cool::)

I was actually sad before the game because the 2007 squad would cease to be one way or another. I can't really gripe about losing though, if the Giants can make impossible plays while we can't catch gimmie's then they deserve to win.

I think this will be one of those games that is magnified if we can't get back to the SB anytime soon. The AFCCG loss was swept away by a win at Indy and an AFC title the next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back