Welcome to PatsFans.com

Big Brother: (Mass.) Red Light Cameras Proposed to Fight Deficit

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +569 / 6 / -2

Obey.

[​IMG]

Massachusetts: Red Light Cameras Proposed to Fight Deficit

Governor of Massachusetts slips red light cameras into state budget after camera firms donate $10,245 to lawmakers.

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (D) on Thursday outlined his plan to reduce the state's $600 million deficit and help struggling municipalities by, among several other revenue raising measures, installing red light cameras. The governor's proposed fiscal year 2010 budget amendments would eliminate an existing state law forcing police officers to issue traffic citations personally. Under the new legislation, any jurisdiction in the commonwealth could give private, for-profit companies the right to issue $100 traffic tickets.

Although some lawmakers had proposed red light camera authorization bills in the past sessions, the measures have never succeeded. Patrick's quiet inclusion of the measure in must-pass legislation gives the proposal new momentum. Photo enforcement firms encouraged the move by giving lawmakers $10,245 in campaign donations. Australia's Redflex Traffic Systems gave $1800 to Patrick and state legislators, Affiliated Computer Services gave $7445 and Nestor Traffic Systems, now American Traffic Solutions, gave $1000. National Motorists Association researcher John Carr said that introduction of the legislation as part of the budget process was a sign that Patrick's primary concern is monetary.

"Red light cameras have a long track record of making roads more dangerous," Carr told TheNewspaper. "The governor isn't even pretending this is about safety. He is risking the lives of the public out of no motive other than pure greed."

Boston Herald

Meanwhile, in a last indignity to the taxpayer but as a sop to cash-strapped municipalities, Patrick also quietly slipped in a rider to the budget bill that would allow cities and towns to install red-light cameras at intersections . . . and reap the benefits of additional ticket revenues.

Deval Patrick’s cuts target $600M budget gap - BostonHerald.com

2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Number one, I'm sick of watching idiots, every single day, run red lights and weave in and out of lanes as if, if they don't beat that light then they've just ruined their day or something. Then the ones that have to stop are all pissed off. Slow down and smell the coffee for cripes sakes
    Number two, I'd love to see each and every one of them get a heavy fine and points on their licenses.

That said I don't like the idea of cameras on red lights; too much surveillance going on considering the potential for abuse.

One question though, why are roads more dangerous with them?

3. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's worse than the red light cameras. Private firms not only lobby for these to be installed so they can get a cut of the revenue they generate (all revenue should be 100% public), but they also encourage cities to shorten the yellow lights so that they catch more offenders, creating a dangerous situation for drivers - longer yellows are safer. One intersection in Waltham has very short yellows and, conveniently, a camera on top.

The real fight here is keeping private for-profit companies out of government, and forcing government to pass laws to enforce this. Stop the lobbying/corruption.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Drivers familiar with the roads learn the light patterns. Here in the Berkshires the yellows are average I guess but the adjacent light doesn't turn green as soon as the yellow goes red. There are a few seconds delay. It's obvious that the locals are aware of this because one or two cars always seem to make it through the red before traffic moves from the other way. I apologize for spouting off because I know it’s not the purpose of the thread but these aholes really piss me off.

You are right of course about the danger and greed of tweaking the yellows to bring in more income and I can see how that could cause some more accidents

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +569 / 6 / -2

I forgot to put a link to the first article, so here it is. I believe there is a link to the Swampscott report. It's 71 pages in pdf, so hope you got some time to kill.

Massachusetts: Red Light Cameras Proposed to Fight Deficit

I'd much prefer they pay a cop to sit there, and monitor the light for offenders, than hire some company, or use camera's at all. Camera's are BS to me. It's Big Brother at it's best. I'll never support camera's for citations.

6. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Swampscott, Massachusetts Report Rejects Red Light Cameras

I think Swampscott's got it right.

Even without the Big Brother side of it, imagine the state officially declaring it's legal and ok to generate income using law enforcement. At least now we've got the human factor; the cop who pulls you over has the option of giving you a ticket or just a warning. If you're lucky enough to get one of the good ones or at least one who's in a good mood you've got a shot at some leniency. More and more sometimes I wonder why I continue to live here:cool:

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Agree 100%.
    I fight every speeding ticket I've ever gotten and have a perfect driving record. We must all protest this by challenging every ticket issued this way. It could never hold up in court due to the fact that any evidence is heresay like when the police send in a rep to traffic to speak for the citing officer. It never holds up. The calibration of all equipment can be brought into question.

This is bullsh!t.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +569 / 6 / -2

Wistah, tell me your speeding ticket secrets!

9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

I get a laugh when I see someone go through a light with a camera. You see the lights flashing for the picture ... it's :rofl:. I have no problem with the cameras. People who are in hurry and disrespect the safety of others should pay the price. I always look both ways even when a light turns green. That practice has saved me from being clipped numerous times.

10. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

You are a fricken rebel!!!! What are you going to do when they catch you with an AK riding shot gun Mr. Rebelman?:cool:

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Couldn't agree more.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Great, so this spring when 10,000 trees have grown just enough to cover 10,000 No Turn on Red signs the state will reap millions before they can get around to getting 10,000 road workers out to prune them back.

13. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Let me ask you, how many speeding tickets have you had to beat? Were they speed traps or are you just a speeder? Red lights: do you push the envelope on red lights? Are you that guy that see's the yellow turn to red then accelerates through it anyway? Are those the red light tickets you'd fight?

Look I'm all for fighting ticky-tack, illegitimate tickets but I hope anyone that selfishly thinks they own the road and shrug off the danger they create gets nailed and nailed good.

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I've never caused any damage or pain when I was "speeding". I beat four tickets in my life. The first three were traps on the highway, two of which there was no way they could have clocked me where I was (How does a radar gun see around a turn blocked by sheer rock ledge?) and I thought I was being stopped for something else, and the the fourth was speeding on my part, but the cop was such a dik, I fought him out of spite and because I promised him I would. I only fight ticky-tack because I've never been more than 80 on the highway (which is very safe in the car I was driving) -except for the time I was racing my kid to Childrens Hosp on the Pike- and I never EVER speed in the towns because there are too many kids. I admit that when I was younger I used to sped on my bike, especially in the midwest and west where the roads are straight and empty and you could see for miles (I once made it from Omaha to Cheyenne in 6 hours!)

I never had a ticket for running a red light and I have on occasion, but only by accident and they didn't see it. No, I'm not the type that's ever in a hurry and I never was. I've never gotten a ticket otherwise except for when my inspection sticker ran out and I hit one of those "first of the month" traps.

The fact is traffic tickets are mostly used for revenue generation. Cops work to reach quotas. I will not let the state confiscate my property unless they can prove they have the right to. I pay my taxes grudgingly but I pay them. I won't have cops taking my money and ringing up surcharges on my insurance to support their crappy town. You wanna say I was speeding? Prove it! I've never caused any damage or pain when I was "speeding".

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

:rofl: You think fighting bogus tickets is being a rebel?:rofl:

16. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No secret, really.
    I just show up in court and the magistrate dismisses them. Once, though, the stand-in cop argued with me and I was able to win by asking the magistrate who the cop was and what was he doing here testifying about something he never witnessed. There's lots of other ways to do it, but you have to show up in court. You can subpoena (sp?) the maintenance records of the guns they use. You can do the same with the training records of the cop who was using the equipment. Generally, though, anyone making specific testimony about the conditions of the "violation" has to have been there. There are many websites dedicated to fighting tickets.

17. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

No.... I think it's funny. I always drive to the speed of my vehicle. Sportscar too fast, junker pleny slow. I have always had this dream that the world would be a safer place if we all had to drive around in paper mache cars, that top out at 40mph. Cheat death in one of those rolling pinatas I dare you!!!:D