Welcome to PatsFans.com

Big Brother’s Track And Tax: Govt Pushes For Black Boxes To Monitor All American Vehi

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Oct 29, 2013.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Well more soft tyranny from Left/Dem oriented/controlled states:

Funny how the left the supposed champion of civil liberties pushes this sort of authoritarian program. The Stasi, NKVD, Gestapo el al would have loved this sort of capability, even 1984 couldn't envision this sort of survallence of private citizens in a supposedly free country.
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Re: Big Brother’s Track And Tax: Govt Pushes For Black Boxes To Monitor All American

Once again overblown rhetoric - no link.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

Re: Big Brother’s Track And Tax: Govt Pushes For Black Boxes To Monitor All American

It is not linked because it is an embarrassing source... the naked basement boyz from Gateway Pundit posted this story..

The right wing echo chamber attacks again..
  4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 6 / -10

#37 Jersey

It's from the Liberal Ass times.

A black box in your car? Some see a source of tax revenue - latimes.com

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
  5. iapatsfan

iapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +150 / 26 / -10

I especially like this nugget. Those folks in the House are just so crazy.

The U.S. Senate approved a $90-million pilot project last year that would have involved about 10,000 cars. But the House leadership killed the proposal, acting on concerns of rural lawmakers representing constituents whose daily lives often involve logging lots of miles to get to work or into town.
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +335 / 6 / -8

Why do they have to be black boxes?
  7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +335 / 6 / -8

Seriously - tech is out there to make travel by car way less of an individual affair. Mileage "boxes?" That's the simple stuff. Your car (at the high end) already knows your mileage. Your car (at the high end) already talks over the internet, over the phone, you name it. So a guy made a black box to track it. If we have national mileage standards, and you guys are in favor of enforcing the laws, then this thing you're afraid of would just be enforcement of the mileage standard. I don't like it, but you're the humps who think people are "Illegal" if they "broke the law by being here." Okay, so if we have a law that a fleet of cars has to get a certain mileage or certain fines will kick in, your car may not be declared "illegal" but it might get you or the manufacturer some sort of fine. I guess that's the fear here. It's right in line with the "enforce the laws" mentality -- unless that's a selective mentality. That would be sort of xenophobic, if you only enforce laws against, by and large, Latinos.

Of course I know of no such law.

But the evil possibility of enforcing our laws -- which apparently is the only goal in life, but only sometimes -- is technologically so feasible it should be scary to you guys. Except by your rhetoric on other subjects, you love the idea of enforcing our laws.

On the safety end there's a ton of crap ready to be stuffed into the US fleet. You can make the car not start if you've been drinking. You can make the car only recognize certain drivers. And as the high-end vehicle makers know, you can make it slam on the brakes if it notices something you don't. If you want a couple hundred million blips to track, hey, if your car is pinging the satellite for directions, you can just make satellites that know who pinged them and from where.

I mean, you're worried that your car will know you're speeding?

Get out of the 20th century.

And while you're at it, get consistent on whether the government should "enforce the laws we already have."

I don't want to hear that crap again about someone who crosses the border without papers from a bunch of Illegal Drivers.

PFnV
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I love it fascist/secret police stuff from the left (again) and the apologist choose to attack the source instead of attempting however pathetically to address the issue, yes it was late and I forgot to link the article.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...black-boxes-to-monitor-all-american-vehicles/

Of course the linke does go to the LAT for the story. :rolleyes:

Gald to see you have no problem with this sort of fascist police state stuff.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +335 / 6 / -8

And PS, yes that was hyperbole.

They'd use the data, supposedly, in drafting a tax bill.

Nu?

Any details on what they're taxing? Who they're taxing? Do they mean they'd use it in drafting fuel efficiency standards?

"Bigger data" is way more useful for that in the real world than using test vehicles on some NHTSA test area.

PFnV
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

They will tax motorist by the mile the 'boxes will track your movements in real time, what could possibly go wrong with allowing the gov that sort of power?

Even the ACLU gets it.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +358 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

But of course....you did not quote the LATimes, which was fairly factual - instead you quoted nothing but the 3 sentence right wing hyperbole - and then added your own buzz words (Stasi, NKVD, Gestapo) for good measure.

The actual story (minus hysterical commentary) tells us that this is mainly a STATE choice. (And it's not merely "blue" states, either.)

I thought that's what you wanted, 13......smaller government, state's rights, Libertarians rule, etc., etc.

But now that the states AND the Libertarians are lobbying for something - now suddenly it's wrong.

Turns out that States Rights and Libertarianism only works for you when you agree with it, though, doesn't it? If you, personally, don't agree with it, it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

Not only is it wong, it's Stasi, it's NKVD, it's friggin' GESTAPO!!!

Make up your mind.

State's rights, individual rights, or not?
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

States don't have the right to spy on citizens either with out due process........

God it is amazing the lengths libs will go to justify tyrannical action by 'their' guys.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +358 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

I hardly think Jan Brewer is one of "my guys."
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

Linke?? gald??

If you sourced your stuff, which is a forum rule, a lot of confusion might be avoided...

The "right wing thought police" edit what you need to know...
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -10

I have a friend who owns an auto repair shop and he mentioned this to me recently. He said, "I can disable them, so keep that in mind if these things become law."

We shouldn't be taxed by mileage....heck, we shouldn't incur any new taxes period.
  16. iapatsfan

iapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +150 / 26 / -10

You're comparing enforcing laws that protect our national sovereignty, which is one of the very few things the federal government should do, to the tracking of citizens' mileage?

A person entering our country illegally is a crime and should necessitate a fine at the very least. Me driving from California to Massachusetts should not.
  17. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

They don't need it to track mileage. All they have to do is record the odometer at annual inspections and send that along to the DMV and they can record mileage. I don't want them tracking my every movement. They are already reading my email if they want to........
  18. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -7

I am not saying I agree with the idea that the government should be able to track our movements. However, are we not already taxed by mileage via the gasoline tax?

Just saying.
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

[​IMG]

Where's this guys shop? I will disable this device if it becomes reality.

That's just it. We are already taxed by mileage via the gasoline tax, so why the need for GPS laden black boxes? Also, if the tax "revenue" isn't enough, then raise the gasoline tax. Ah, but you can't put GPS laden boxes into your citizens vehicles, and track their every movement with a gasoline tax, now can you. :confused2:

I hope and pray these boxes never become law.
  20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +585 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

This is so outrageous it borders on insanely laughable. Before if you drove more than the other guy you paid more tax ... federal and state as it is part of the price of a gallon. So the government mandates more mileage and wants to green so cars go further per mile and they are making less.

Typical government stupidity ... these people run the country and few of them could operate a hot dog cart efficiently enough to turn a profit.